Transfer Portal

12 hours ago, Le duke said:

I’d take a U23 Asian Champ over Cael Valencia even if he was one, maybe even two weight classes below him. Get him in the lineup and get reps.

Valencia is riding his family name really hard these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a Valencia fan and agree... but I am also not sold on an  NJCAA champ  with no D1 matches making a huge splash at the D1 level. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

13 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Yeah, that's been awhile as I said. Perhaps you haven't been watching the landscape of NJCAA wrestling lately. More recently, Isaiah Crosby was a 2x champ at Oregon State. He couldn't break the lineup his first year.  WHen he did he was a decent starter but never qualified for the NCAA.   

Jett Strickenberger is a recent example. He was a NQ at 125 for WVU last year. Did not have a good NCAA tournament but had some nice wins over the year. 

• Bob 1

33 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Yeah, that's been awhile as I said. Perhaps you haven't been watching the landscape of NJCAA wrestling lately. More recently, Isaiah Crosby was a 2x champ at Oregon State. He couldn't break the lineup his first year.  WHen he did he was a decent starter but never qualified for the NCAA.   

Ah. Well, sometimes I guess it doesn't work out so well. 

The guy I was referring to was Karl Lynes. He finished 4th at OSU in 1984.  I think he was the coach at Ponca City HS for a few years. 

2 hours ago, Gus said:

Jett Strickenberger is a recent example. He was a NQ at 125 for WVU last year. Did not have a good NCAA tournament but had some nice wins over the year. 

He had a pretty decent year with a couple good wins -but he was never in the national title or AA picture IMO. Maybe next year or if he redshirts then his last year. He also had a decent amount of D1 results as well to be able to gauge where he was in comparison. The days are not the same of why guys went JC as to why they do it now. Much easier to get guys into D1 schools than it was back in the 80's and 90's. There will always be exceptions, but we wont see as many hammers as we used to. 

• Wrestle 1

18 hours ago, Idaho said:

Interesting … It’s  been awhile since an NJCAA champ has done really well at the D1 level. Not sure he can beat out Valencia. Does he have a redshirt? 

Jacobe Smith? He was an AA not too long ago.

• Brain 1

On 5/29/2024 at 8:38 PM, Idaho said:

Interesting … It’s  been awhile since an NJCAA champ has done really well at the D1 level.

Love 'im or hate 'im, PD3 is a recent example, too.

Admission standards have changed in the decades since the 1990s, when guys could still start at a NJCAA program and then win a D1 title, but I believe that D1 college coaches have communicated MUCH better with potential student-athletes that they want eligible, retainable guys for five years, not two. That means, if a top PSA isn't recruitable right out of high school, don't expect to hear from many D1s after your JuCo days are over, as their investments tend to be long-term, not short-term. There are exceptions to that rule but not many.

However, Oregon State did hire former Clackamas Community College head coach Josh Rhoden a few years ago. Josh was a master at finding former four-year school castaways and building an empire out in Portland with said guys. The Beavs have landed some tough JuCo champs, but the true test of their viabilities are yet to come.

All that being said, the JuCo ranks for D1 talent are WAY thinner now than they've ever been, even if some of their coaches tell you otherwise.

• Fire 1

7 hours ago, ionel said:

More like:

Sorta near the Coast to Nowhere Near the Coast still some 6 hours away.

😉

40 minutes to Newport beach .... 4 hours to Baltimore Beach.... if you want to be more exact. 

6 minutes ago, Idaho said:

40 minutes to Newport beach .... 4 hours to Baltimore Beach.... if you want to be more exact. 

Baltimore Beach?  Where is that and is it even on the coast or on a bay?

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tom formerly Tofurky said:

Admission standards have changed in the decades since the 1990s, when guys could still start at a NJCAA program and then win a D1 title, but I believe that D1 college coaches have communicated MUCH better with potential student-athletes that they want eligible, retainable guys for five years, not two. That means, if a top PSA isn't recruitable right out of high school, don't expect to hear from many D1s after your JuCo days are over, as their investments tend to be long-term, not short-term. There are exceptions to that rule but not many.

However, Oregon State did hire former Clackamas Community College head coach Josh Rhoden a few years ago. Josh was a master at finding former four-year school castaways and building an empire out in Portland with said guys. The Beavs have landed some tough JuCo champs, but the true test of their viabilities are yet to come.

All that being said, the JuCo ranks for D1 talent are WAY thinner now than they've ever been, even if some of their coaches tell you otherwise.

PD3 won his title 9 years ago...not sure that's real recent. Yeah, I am an OSU supporter and Josh is a friend of mine. Excellent recruiter!  For OSU , 2X NJCAA champ Isaiah Crosby was a decent starter but never qualified for the NCAA.... Champ Brett Mower was 3rd/4th on the depth chart last year at 197...They also have former champ Steele Starren  on the roster right now. Pretty tough kid. I agree, the  Juco talent is much thinner with admission standards. 

1 minute ago, ionel said:

Baltimore Beach?  Where is that and is it even on the coast or on a bay?

Yep - pretty popular spot.  Ummm.... you didn't know Baltimore was in a bay?  

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, BloodRound said:

At this point, is there really any other big name besides Chris Cannon still in the transfer portal?  Will Cannon ever announce where he's going to go?  

Terrell Barraclough comes to mind.  And there's a guy ranked (by WS) ahead of Cannon at 141 lbs - that being Isaiah Powe.  And there's Nitzel at 285 lbs (formerly of Missouri).

But overall the transfer portal this year is pretty abysmal.

Edited by Thumper

54 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Terrell Barraclough comes to mind.  And there's a guy ranked (by WS) ahead of Cannon at 141 lbs - that being Isaiah Powe.  And there's Nitzel at 285 lbs (formerly of Missouri).

But overall the transfer portal this year is pretty abysmal.

Has it really been abysmal? Hamiti, Hendrickson, Parco, Amine, Cardenas are all multi AA’s. Throw in guys like Cooper Flynn, McGonagle, Fish, Whiting, Askey, Endene and probably 20 other guys in forgetting and it’s been a pretty fruitful transfer portal season. 

• Fire 1

23 minutes ago, Gus said:

Has it really been abysmal? Hamiti, Hendrickson, Parco, Amine, Cardenas are all multi AA’s. Throw in guys like Cooper Flynn, McGonagle, Fish, Whiting, Askey, Endene and probably 20 other guys in forgetting and it’s been a pretty fruitful transfer portal season. 

You probably won't get a response.  WestCoastDanTheMan has anyone who is anyone blocked.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

18 hours ago, Tom formerly Tofurky said:

I think the transfer portal has really hurt JUCO as well, because if you are looking for a 2 year guy you can get them from the portal. 

• Brain 1

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

You probably won't get a response.  WestCoastDanTheMan has anyone who is anyone blocked.

That is fine with me lol. Sounds like a badge of honor. He has not been the only one talking about how the portal has been "dead" this year but I guess I see it differently.