Transfer Portal

On 6/24/2024 at 11:07 AM, Winners Circle said:

I would not link Cal Bap to Duke from an academic standpoint. Interesting. 

I don't have a very good idea of what kind of school it is honestly.  I can see that they have Justin Phillips who transferred in from Virginia which is another top school academically I think on par with Duke

Edited by flyingcement
  • Bob 1

Was watching Stevans last YouTube video and both Blaze brothers were training with his team in chicago. It made me wonder if Marcus does not go to Purdue if we see Joey RS this year and then transfer to whatever school he ends up picking. I think Joey goes a bit under the radar but I think he had a great true freshman year he won some big matches like against Ed Scott and most of his losses were very thin margins with his trajectory only going up for the time being those two going to tOSU or obviously PSU feel like they could be a 30-40 point combo for 3 years.

1 hour ago, Truzzcat said:

Was watching Stevans last YouTube video and both Blaze brothers were training with his team in chicago. It made me wonder if Marcus does not go to Purdue if we see Joey RS this year and then transfer to whatever school he ends up picking. I think Joey goes a bit under the radar but I think he had a great true freshman year he won some big matches like against Ed Scott and most of his losses were very thin margins with his trajectory only going up for the time being those two going to tOSU or obviously PSU feel like they could be a 30-40 point combo for 3 years.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but he might be going there because the reigning world champion is there.

If he is there for college reasons, Micic is a graduate of the University of Michigan.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but he might be going there because the reigning world champion is there.

If he is there for college reasons, Micic is a graduate of the University of Michigan.

oh no sorry If I was insinuating that I did not mean for the blaze brothers to be training there for any college affiliation I think micic runs pretty much his own club/camp. Its very dumb of me but I guess I never really thought of Joey and Marcus as a package deal because I pretty quickly ruled out Purdue in my brain just given Marcus's level. I was trying to say that I wonder wherever Marcus commits if Joey will then follow him and transfer.

• Bob 1

10 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

oh no sorry If I was insinuating that I did not mean for the blaze brothers to be training there for any college affiliation I think micic runs pretty much his own club/camp. Its very dumb of me but I guess I never really thought of Joey and Marcus as a package deal because I pretty quickly ruled out Purdue in my brain just given Marcus's level. I was trying to say that I wonder wherever Marcus commits if Joey will then follow him and transfer.

I think Michigan could make sense of having both.  Would need to shuffle some guys around, but college weight trainers can work wonders with that sort of thing.  Especially those with the money like Michigan.

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I think Michigan could make sense of having both.  Would need to shuffle some guys around, but college weight trainers can work wonders with that sort of thing.  Especially those with the money like Michigan.

If blaze could hold 133 (I think he's a 141) I think they could almost fit perfectly. After a red shirt I think the mantanona brothers could occupy 165/74 but big Blaze could also grow into 165. Worst case scenario would probably be marcus 141 and lemley bumping Gilcher out at 149.

16 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

If blaze could hold 133 (I think he's a 141) I think they could almost fit perfectly. After a red shirt I think the mantanona brothers could occupy 165/74 but big Blaze could also grow into 165. Worst case scenario would probably be marcus 141 and lemley bumping Gilcher out at 149.

Being that he has Olympic aspirations, you would expect him to navigate to a weight that lines up better for that.  133, 149 (fight me, folks), and 174lbs do not lend themselves toward those goals.

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Being that he has Olympic aspirations, you would expect him to navigate to a weight that lines up better for that.  133, 149 (fight me, folks), and 174lbs do not lend themselves toward those goals.

I know he intends to try and make the team at 61kg I feel like starting at 141 and growing into 149 would be a good move for him as for Beau man if that's who you mean by 174, I almost feel like he's going to have to be an 86kg guy come 2024 his frame is huge unless he stays super skinny like wick forever.

• Bob 1

3 minutes ago, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

Any update on these guys? Chris Cannon and Isaiah Powe? 

Powe was at the UTC Team Camp two weeks ago, was my teams councilor 

• Bob 3

18 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I’m surprised Powe hasn’t had more interest (at least it appears).  25-4 as a true freshman last year.  

I get your point, but his best win was Dylan Chappell, and he had losses to Hunter Mason (by fall), Danny Fongaro, Mendez, and Cole Matthews. He went 4-3 vs national qualifiers, and his wins were Todd Carter (3x) who was #32 seed at NCAAs, and Chappell who was #16 seed. Not exactly a killer resume. The 25-4 is a bit inflated due to schedule.

49 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

I get your point, but his best win was Dylan Chappell, and he had losses to Hunter Mason (by fall), Danny Fongaro, Mendez, and Cole Matthews. He went 4-3 vs national qualifiers, and his wins were Todd Carter (3x) who was #32 seed at NCAAs, and Chappell who was #16 seed. Not exactly a killer resume. The 25-4 is a bit inflated due to schedule.

A true freshman, 4-3 against qualifiers, with a redshirt available and 3 years eligibility, is a good pick up for someone. 

• Bob 2
  • Fire 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 minute ago, Idaho said:

A true freshman, 4-3 against qualifiers, with a redshirt available and 3 years eligibility, is a good pick up for someone. 

Yes, I get your point. But my point is, what major program would take him over their current roster/incoming recruits? A lot of mid majors would, obviously. But if that's the case I'd imagine he'd stay at UTC. I'm sure some major programs have reached out to him, but I doubt the offer has been lucrative considering they see him a depth guy. 

1 minute ago, Winners Circle said:

Yes, I get your point. But my point is, what major program would take him over their current roster/incoming recruits? A lot of mid majors would, obviously. But if that's the case I'd imagine he'd stay at UTC. I'm sure some major programs have reached out to him, but I doubt the offer has been lucrative considering they see him a depth guy. 

He’d probably start for Iowa, IMO

Reminds me of when Eastern Michigan closed shop... they had a 20W-0L true frosh in Tanner Smith... didn't have too many suitors, though.  Was a big fan of his and was sad when we didn't get to see his career close out (due to Covid, I believe?).

14 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

Yeah I wouldn't disagree with that. Depending on the major program, I think you are correct that most have their guys already. He would be a nice addition to a mid-major as you mentioned. Of course we know he will be poached if he has success at UTC or another school. 

• Bob 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐