Who is the current favorite for OW and Hodge now?

This is one of the closest races I can remember. There are good arguments for all of the guys above. I’m going with Storicci for knocking off 2 former champs on his way to win a 4th title with 1 leg. 

Edited by NormMacDonald

Vito and Brooks looked most impressive to me, based on vibes. Starocci would’ve been right there if not for his injury. Even so, he took out two former champs back to back. 

Edited by peanut

3 minutes ago, NormMacDonald said:

This is one of the closest races I can remember. There are good arguments for all of the guys above. I’m going with Storicci for knocking off 2 former champs on his way to win a 4th title with 2 leg. 

Interesting how little acknowledgment was made for #9 Carter knocking off two former champs. That’s because everyone who’s anyone views Carter as #1 which is how he will end his college wrestling career this evening, number ONE. 

Carter for OW. 

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, Rassling said:

Interesting how little acknowledgment was made for #9 Carter knocking off two former champs. That’s because everyone who’s anyone views Carter as #1 which is how he will end his college wrestling career this evening, number ONE. 

Carter for OW. 

I am pretty sure Carter won't get OW.  Even though he beat two national champs back to back, as the #9 seed...noone actually views him as the #9.  Instead he will be judged as the de facto #1 seed who didn't win many matches in the tourney by bonus.  And beating Rocco Welsh, a true freshman, is also not that impressive.  

19 minutes ago, Rassling said:

Carter for OW. 

How weird is it that on the ESPN broadcast, they keep talking about how Brooks is going for 4, but they almost *never* mention that Starocci is too?  

They even keep putting up this graphic about Brooks's quest for 4, but not Carter.

So yeah, I'd give OW to Carter if he wins.  He's matches have been pretty boring, but he's at 75% at best and still took out 2 former champs.  

• Bob 1

To me, it's pretty obvious:  Brooks if he wins for both awards. 

He has bonused everyone this year, except in his first match with Iowa.   He has bonused his way through NCAAs.   He doesn't have the "blemish" of two "losses" this year that Starocci has.  And Starocci hasn't bonused anyone at NCAAs.  I don't think sentimentalism for Starocci's injury should play a role.  

15 minutes ago, BAC said:

How weird is it that on the ESPN broadcast, they keep talking about how Brooks is going for 4, but they almost *never* mention that Starocci is too?  

They even keep putting up this graphic about Brooks's quest for 4, but not Carter.

So yeah, I'd give OW to Carter if he wins.  He's matches have been pretty boring, but he's at 75% at best and still took out 2 former champs.  

It’s noticeable that they are avoiding interviewing Brooks and Kerk , meanwhile they interviewed yianni every 26 minutes last year in his quest for 4 titles 

2 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

To me, it's pretty obvious:  Brooks if he wins for both awards. 

He has bonused everyone this year, except in his first match with Iowa.   He has bonused his way through NCAAs.   He doesn't have the "blemish" of two "losses" this year that Starocci has.  And Starocci hasn't bonused anyone at NCAAs.  I don't think sentimentalism for Starocci's injury should play a role.  

If he bonuses Hidlay he should get it. Doubt that happens though. Hidlay is so good.

Here are some top performers so far in terms of individual scoring:

• 197- Brooks- 23 (tech - fall - fall - tech)
  • 157- Haines- 22 (tech - tech - MD - fall)
  • 184- Keck- 21 (MD - tech - tech- MD)
  • 184- Plott- 20.5 (tech - MD - MD - MD)
  • 141- Bartlett- 20 (dec - fall - fall - dec)
  • 197- Hidlay- 20 (tech - tech- MD - dec)
  • 133- Arujau- 20 (MD - MD - MD - MD)
  • 141- Mendez- 19.5 (tech- fall- dec - dec)
  • 165- Mesenbrink - 19.5 (tech - MD - dec - MD)
  • Bob 1
  • Wrestle 1

It's Brooks by a mile for Hodge if he even wins by Decision tonight. 

OW would be him as well if he bonuses guaranteed. 

If Mess crushes Carr, which I doubt, he'd get consideration. 

Vito is right there as well. 

11 minutes ago, peanut said:

Here are some top performers so far in terms of individual scoring:

• 197- Brooks- 23 (tech - fall - fall - tech)
  • 157- Haines- 22 (tech - tech - MD - fall)
  • 184- Keck- 21 (MD - tech - tech- MD)
  • 184- Plott- 20.5 (tech - MD - MD - MD)
  • 141- Bartlett- 20 (dec - fall - fall - dec)
  • 197- Hidlay- 20 (tech - tech- MD - dec)
  • 133- Arujau- 20 (MD - MD - MD - MD)
  • 141- Mendez- 19.5 (tech- fall- dec - dec)
  • 165- Mesenbrink - 19.5 (tech - MD - dec - MD)

Interesting to see who’s not only winning but dominating their opponents when you lay it out like that. Great job Peanut!

Brooks has been ridiculously impressive this tournament. If (big IF) he were to TF/F Hidlay, it would be one of the most impressive tournament performances I’ve seen. Who’s the last wrestler to win every match at NCAAs by fall or TF? I can’t think of anyone recently. 

Edited by AZ_wrestling