Obligatory NCAA Championship Matches

Remember the "I choose down" moment by Molinaro in the finals against Dake? Molinaro got taken down and ridden like a donkey by Dake in the first period then chose down to start the 2nd period 😄

• Haha 1
  • Wrestle 1

1 hour ago, NM1965 said:

Remember the "I choose down" moment by Molinaro in the finals against Dake? Molinaro got taken down and ridden like a donkey by Dake in the first period then chose down to start the 2nd period 😄

The cartoon was almost better than the match. I don't believe it's on the internet anymore.  The video of Dake in the tunnel after the match was pretty good, too. Pretty sure he called Molinaro an idiot about 20s into the post-match video:

https://www.flowrestling.org/people/5938692-kyle-dake/video?playing=5272008

Edited by lu_alum
  • Bob 2

13 hours ago, NM1965 said:

Coach in high school used to quote this moment any time someone would make a brash decision that contradicted what he was telling us to do in a match.  I will never forgive Molinaro for this choice.

• Bob 1

Pain. But an all-time upset that deserves to be posted. Imar had already beaten Nolf twice and was 2 for 2 on the path to becoming a 4 timer that was an absolute wrecking machine until he met the inside trip from hell. Joseph had ice in his veins and deserves his flowers. 

• Bob 2

i am an idiot on the internet

12 hours ago, lu_alum said:

The cartoon was almost better than the match. I don't believe it's on the internet anymore.  The video of Dake in the tunnel after the match was pretty good, too. Pretty sure he called Molinaro an idiot about 20s into the post-match video:

https://www.flowrestling.org/people/5938692-kyle-dake/video?playing=5272008

I remember that cartoon, it was hilarious. I think Frank looked the cartoonist up and beat him to a pulp 😄

2 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Pain. But an all-time upset that deserves to be posted. Imar had already beaten Nolf twice and was 2 for 2 on the path to becoming a 4 timer that was an absolute wrecking machine until he met the inside trip from hell. Joseph had ice in his veins and deserves his flowers. 

Joseph was a brave guy not afraid to go upper body with IMAR.  I'm not sure he ever beat Marinelli!

1 hour ago, NM1965 said:

Joseph was a brave guy not afraid to go upper body with IMAR.  I'm not sure he ever beat Marinelli!

1 and 3 versus Marinelli

• Bob 1

5 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Perhaps a more accurate version would be:

Imar had already been pinned by Nolf and beaten him twice.

On 3/16/2024 at 11:04 PM, strange_daze said:

Just a thread to share some memorable NCAA tournament matches/moments.

One that always comes to mind for me at this time of year: Mcllravy v. Abas (1993):

Many many others—add one if you feel like it.

Lincoln McIlravy is one of my all-time favorite wrestlers. Thanks for posting.

6 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Perhaps a more accurate version would be:

Imar had already been pinned by Nolf and beaten him twice.

Perhaps a best version would be "Imar kicked Nolf's teeth in 4 straight years after taking a lone fluke loss" but that probably doesn't play well 'round these parts this week of the year.

56 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Perhaps a best version would be "Imar kicked Nolf's teeth in 4 straight years after taking a lone fluke loss" but that probably doesn't play well 'round these parts this week of the year.

Total and complete hyperbole.   Nolf kicked IMAR's butt and pinned him in the dual, giving him his first loss of his career.

IMAR beat Nolf at Big Tens: 4-3 (TB2, RT)  the first time (That's about as close as you can get).

IMAr beat Nolf the second time in the NCAA final 6-5 (again very, very close). Nolf was leading the watch for a while 4-3. IMAR was called for stalling and might easily have been called a second time.  IMAR got the TD to break a 4-4 tie with 13 seconds left in the third.   Nolf escaped with 6 seconds left but time ran out as IMAR backed away.

Nolf was a freshman. IMAR a sophomore.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

They wrestled three times in one year.

Have a look...  Nolf WBF 4:57 (at Illinois)

image.png.9d319fc7f6ea062215069041f8226791.png

Gibbons:  "Tim, that was no fluke. That was no fluke. Nolf beat him in every position, it looked like."

image.png.b2426bd52a080a793e0c38aee79e5f14.png

Edited by lu_alum

14 hours ago, lu_alum said:

They wrestled three times in one year.

Have a look...  Nolf WBF 4:57 (at Illinois)

image.png.9d319fc7f6ea062215069041f8226791.png

Gibbons:  "Tim, that was no fluke. That was no fluke. Nolf beat him in every position, it looked like."

image.png.b2426bd52a080a793e0c38aee79e5f14.png

Yeah now add all the freestyle results. Wrestling doesn't stop at NCAAs - it has just begun.

16 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Funny definition of "kicking someone's teeth in". Records show Imar wrestled Nolf in the 2 years prior to losing to Joseph two straight years in the finals. First time was a fall, then the last two matches were.

6-5

3-3 (TB 2)

19 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Yeah now add all the freestyle results. Wrestling doesn't stop at NCAAs - it has just begun.

Perhaps you should keep in mind where you are?  You opinion seems to belong on a different forum.  Keep in mind the title of the thread.  

Neither this forum nor the thread are specific to freestyle results.

image.png.c243a9cde97856f62c5ac3e06c549431.png

image.png.1449a1bb22b8ad5e93430dbebd853d76.png

22 hours ago, wjd said:

Funny definition of "kicking someone's teeth in". Records show Imar wrestled Nolf in the 2 years prior to losing to Joseph two straight years in the finals. First time was a fall, then the last two matches were.

6-5

3-3 (TB 2)

Nolf and Imar only faced each during 1 season. 1 pin for Nolf, 2 decisions for Imar. Imar beat Brian Realbuto of Cornell for his first title.