Another D1 program goes bust

Best parts of the response-
"This decision – in no way – reflects a diminished commitment to athletics,"

Really? Obviously, that's exactly what it does reflect unless they don't consider wrestling as a part of athletics.

The university will continue to honor all scholarships for any impacted student-athletes. Additionally, the university will provide support to any student-athletes in the wrestling program who wish to transfer.  

Which under the currect NCAA environment means they don't have to do much of anything!

• Brain 1

5 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

A school with 1900 students that fields more than 25 men's and women's teams.  Sounds kind of like an athletic department with a school, not the other way round.

This

That's the 2nd Program this season (Lindenwood being the other).  

IMO, these eliminations will continue due in large part to Transfer Portal & NIL making it increasingly difficult to become & remain competitive / relevent. 

14 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

That's the 2nd Program this season (Lindenwood being the other).  

IMO, these eliminations will continue due in large part to Transfer Portal & NIL making it increasingly difficult to become & remain competitive / relevent. 

This seems like a stretch.  Both these schools were transitioning to D1 (and into conferences essentially without wrestling), which seems to be more of the common thread here.

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

It's hard to cry over the loss of such an insignificant program. 

Really man? Even the Yankees need the smaller-market programs to play. Plus, that's 30 wrestlers every recruiting cycle that are now unlikely to ever become future coaches, officials, etc.

• Bob 3
  • Wrestle 1

3 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Really man? Even the Yankees need the smaller-market programs to play. Plus, that's 30 wrestlers every recruiting cycle that are now unlikely to ever become future coaches, officials, etc.

I know it sounds pretty harsh, but those guys are all going to be able to transfer somewhere else if they actually have the skills. I can't stand weaker programs constantly having to beg for money to survive, especially when they have scant fan support. Why should the university keep supporting a sports team that puts, maybe, 50 butts in the seats and always loses money? Also, do the fans really deserve a team if they don't support them by showing up? No, they don't deserve a team if they won't support them. 

There are actually some positives to losing weaker programs. The talent goes elsewhere and is less spread out than before. What talent they had, that is, because Queens was rancid in D2 before going D1. Presumably the local North Carolina colleges (UNC, NCSU, App St) will benefit from that local talent not being siphoned off to Queens U. Plus you know the wrestlers will be happier somewhere else. Who wants to wrestle at a school that doesn't care about them? I remember wrestling at a bball school for years and it always pissed me off when I saw the support other school's teams had. 

• Poopy 2

2 hours ago, NM1965 said:

I know it sounds pretty harsh, but those guys are all going to be able to transfer somewhere else if they actually have the skills. I can't stand weaker programs constantly having to beg for money to survive, especially when they have scant fan support. Why should the university keep supporting a sports team that puts, maybe, 50 butts in the seats and always loses money? Also, do the fans really deserve a team if they don't support them by showing up? No, they don't deserve a team if they won't support them. 

There are actually some positives to losing weaker programs. The talent goes elsewhere and is less spread out than before. What talent they had, that is, because Queens was rancid in D2 before going D1. Presumably the local North Carolina colleges (UNC, NCSU, App St) will benefit from that local talent not being siphoned off to Queens U. Plus you know the wrestlers will be happier somewhere else. Who wants to wrestle at a school that doesn't care about them? I remember wrestling at a bball school for years and it always pissed me off when I saw the support other school's teams had. 

No, there aren't. Just no.

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, wrestle87 said:

Please help, I'm not wrestling dumb but I have no idea what this means.  

Ken Chertow was the first head coach Queens hired when they started the program. Let's just say he left about a month into his first season under mysterious circumstances.

11 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Ken Chertow was the first head coach Queens hired when they started the program. Let's just say he left about a month into his first season under mysterious circumstances.

I've never seen someone get as much mileage from just making it to the Olympics and not winning an NCAA title. You'd swear Chertow was every bit as accomplished as John Smith if you listen to him talk. 

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

Does anyone know the reason he really left?   I disagree with the earlier post on letting the smaller programs shut down.   They are turning into feeder programs for big schools and this gives more wrestlers the opportunity to wrestle in college.

43 minutes ago, Tripnsweep said:

I've never seen someone get as much mileage from just making it to the Olympics and not winning an NCAA title. You'd swear Chertow was every bit as accomplished as John Smith if you listen to him talk. 

I think he holds himself about on par with Kolat, which is insane. 

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, Greenwave said:

Does anyone know the reason he really left?   I disagree with the earlier post on letting the smaller programs shut down.   They are turning into feeder programs for big schools and this gives more wrestlers the opportunity to wrestle in college.

He probably tried to sell the university president phony nutrition powder

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tripnsweep said:

The insane pettiness to say something like this. Sure he's in the .1% but he's acting like he's in .01% and he ain't. Lmao whatever. This board is wild.