2024 NCAA Brackets

2 minutes ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

A lot of people on here were advocating for committee intervention at 165lbs the last few days. I wonder how many of those same people are arguing the opposite for 174lbs. 

I feel like a lot of that talk died down after seeing Mesenbrink/Hamiti, because people knew Mesenbrink deserved the 2.  And with Carr losing to Ramírez it’s kinda tough to argue putting him at 3.

To that point, the overall takeaway to me is that sitting out duals pays off.  Fix and Ramírez being the biggest beneficiaries.   As a result of the Carr/Ramírez situation I feel like we could see less guys enter CKLV because they don’t want to take an early season loss that they may not be able to avenge until NCAA’s.

Have him wrestle more matches during the regular season than one other person in his bracket.  Maybe he’ll have a winning % that compares with people that wrestled conference.   Other than that go back to seeding committee that we had prior to this.  (That was better imo)
Even Carter tweeted he will beat everyone …. bla bla seed doesn’t matter. 

So it would be even higher?

He has a winning percentage higher than Wolak, Kemp, Welsh. People who were seeded above him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I thought the weirdest Penn State seed was Truax behind Pinto, given how that situation was handled throughout the other seeds (situation being split matches, but the wrestler who won at conferences being seeded higher).

Which ends up being a gift for Traux imo

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

10 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

I think we (including @Caveira) are arguing different points.  I'm more defending Mekhi than advocating for Carter.  I dont think he cares where he's seeded and he can win it at 80%

We may be.  And that’s fair.   No worries portaJ….

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I feel like a lot of that talk died down after seeing Mesenbrink/Hamiti, because people knew Mesenbrink deserved the 2.  And with Carr losing to Ramírez it’s kinda tough to argue putting him at 3.

To that point, the overall takeaway to me is that sitting out duals pays off.  Fix and Ramírez being the biggest beneficiaries.   As a result of the Carr/Ramírez situation I feel like we could see less guys enter CKLV because they don’t want to take an early season loss that they may not be able to avenge until NCAA’s.

I think you're right that we could see fewer guys taking what amounts to a risk at CKLV.  

5 minutes ago, ionel said:

I think Mekhi will do fine either way.  He either gets past Starocci and going for 1st or doesn't and going for 3rd, it doesn't really matter when.  

Maybe.  So who do you think Fix loses to in the finals this year?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

Mehki took out Marinelli from the 8 seed once. Maybe he can take out Starocci. Or not.

That also might have been the last time Mekhi was completely healthy. 

2 minutes ago, Caveira said:

Did he place ahead of anyone seeded above him at conference?   With two losses…….  Does he have more matches than “ANYONE” in his bracket?   How does two losses and the fewest matches in your bracket impact winning %.   

IMG_5376.png

I understand the NCAA criteria and why they decided to seed him there, but it's also asinine that the system they have in place is so rigid and/or the committee is too lazy to actually seed the tournament this way. 

No sane person thinks that Carter Starocci is the ninth-best wrestler or even had the ninth-best season at 174 this year. I have no issues with knocking him down from the No. 1 seed because of his "losses," but convince anyone that No. 7 seed Lennox Wolak, who lost to Michigan State's Matt Larkin, 7-0, should be seeded higher than Carter Starocci. Neither should No. 6 seed Rocco Welsh, who Starocci beat in the dual...or No. 8 seed Adam Kemp, who got beat by a kid redshirting at Purdue. 

The seeding committed just f-ed up the entire bracket and screwed the No. 1 seed - who lost to Starocci 11-0 in a match that didn't count. 

3 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

I understand the NCAA criteria and why they decided to seed him there, but it's also asinine that the system they have in place is so rigid and/or the committee is too lazy to actually seed the tournament this way. 

No sane person thinks that Carter Starocci is the ninth-best wrestler or even had the ninth-best season at 174 this year. I have no issues with knocking him down from the No. 1 seed because of his "losses," but convince anyone that No. 7 seed Lennox Wolak, who lost to Michigan State's Matt Larkin, 7-0, should be seeded higher than Carter Starocci. Neither should No. 6 seed Rocco Welsh, who Starocci beat in the dual...or No. 8 seed Adam Kemp, who got beat by a kid redshirting at Purdue. 

Or the #5 seed who lost twice to Benny Baker at EIWA’s

55 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

@1032004 might get your Beard Brooks match!!!

197 has both Stout brothers in the top half.  Both have already lost to Beard (and Luke has Brooks in his second match if he wins), so neither will be in the championship bracket for long, but what has to happen for the two of them to wrestle each other in the consolations?  

I'm sure some wrestling historian like WKN knows when brothers have wrestled each other at Nationals...

To get a high seed you should have to earn it, in very large part in THIS season.  You need to wrestle a good number of matches, have good quality wins, few loses, and do very well at your qualifying tournament.  Carter simply didn’t deliver on many of these.  I get why people feel differently …. But I do believe this seeding system is very reasonable.

• Brain 2

3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

You think so?  I prefer facing Munoz to Plott, imo.

Traux has lost the last two against Munoz and I think he can wrestle Keck tough but never beat him.  Plott is a toss up based on their results against common opponents and Traux could potentially beat Salazar in a rematch 

8 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

The seeding committed just f-ed up the entire bracket and screwed the No. 1 seed - who lost to Starocci 11-0 in a match that didn't count. 

Starocci had every opportunity to get enough matches for rpi and to wrestle the b10 tournament to a place finish.  Thats on Carter or his coaches its not the committee's fault.  And we don't know if the bracket is screwed up because we haven't yet seen him wrestle since the injury.

Edited by ionel
  • Brain 2
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, wrestle87 said:

Croo(k)ham I think will make short work of the resident geriatric at the weight.

I actually think Fix matches up better against Crookham than Vito.  Vito is just too quick.  But nobody is beating Crooham. 

17 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Mekhi either got a gift if Carter is seriously compromised or he got screwed.  I thought the weirdest Penn State seed was Truax behind Pinto, given how that situation was handled throughout the other seeds (situation being split matches, but the wrestler who won at conferences being seeded higher).

That is just it Vak, we don't really know. When these seeds were made for all anyone knew Carter was "drilling in the room" to dredge up a familiar refrain. And with Griffith also injured, maybe Mehki got the cake draw. 

When they all wrestle is when we'll know. 

3 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Traux has lost the last two against Munoz and I think he can wrestle Keck tough but never beat him.  Plott is a toss up based on their results against common opponents and Traux could potentially beat Salazar in a rematch 

Calling that Stewart vs Rogotzke quarter, Truax pulling some PSU magic and seeing the winner in the semis.  Salazar looks big, and I don’t think Rogotzke is a good draw on day 1 of the tournament for him.

7 minutes ago, lightweight said:

197 has both Stout brothers in the top half.  Both have already lost to Beard (and Luke has Brooks in his second match if he wins), so neither will be in the championship bracket for long, but what has to happen for the two of them to wrestle each other in the consolations?  

I'm sure some wrestling historian like WKN knows when brothers have wrestled each other at Nationals...

Realistically if you look at their matches on the front side and the backside brackets it's nearly impossible

Edited by PortaJohn

As i keep looking over the bracket, i keep coming back to "I'm annoyed by the numbers next to their names, but I like their spots."  Quarters are always going to be tough, but even their lower seeded guys, many got the "best" potential quarterfinal opponent.

4 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

To get a high seed you should have to earn it, in very large part in THIS season.  You need to wrestle a good number of matches, have good quality wins, few loses, and do very well at your qualifying tournament.  Carter simply didn’t deliver on many of these.  I get why people feel differently …. But I do believe this seeding system is very reasonable.

Starocci has wins this season over the #6, 10, and 13 seeds.

The #5 seed’s best wins are over the #7, 10, and 11 seeds, and he also did not do very well at the conference tournament.

If there was ever a time for committee intervention, Carter Starocci was it.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

As i keep looking over the bracket, i keep coming back to "I'm annoyed by the numbers next to their names, but I like their spots."  Quarters are always going to be tough, but even their lower seeded guys, many got the "best" potential quarterfinal opponent.

Of the lower seeded Hawks Caliendo to the semis is a sexy pick.  Got the best seed of any Hawkeye

Edited by PortaJohn

Hamiti and Carr both got brutal draws.  That is so overweighted.  

Caliendo got a very fortunate draw.  He can absolutely take out Ramirez on a Friday morning after a weight cut.  Iowa doesn’t do a lot great, but one thing they are great at is showing up after a weight cut.