CMU's Tom Borrelli to retire.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Well let’s see.

Their star just transferred out, I believe without even graduating.

They scored 24.5 points this year, and by my math only 1.5 of them are returning next year (Zargo).

The famous and outspoken coach of the best club in the state has publicly stated he doesn’t like Bono and seems to discourage guys from going there.

They’re not in a great spot currently by most objective metrics.

Man they really whiffed on the best time to be getting recruits from the state of Wiscy, didn't they?

Imagine a roster that includes those AWA gents.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Well let’s see.

Their star just transferred out, I believe without even graduating.

They scored 24.5 points this year, and by my math only 1.5 of them are returning next year (Zargo).

The famous and outspoken coach of the best club in the state has publicly stated he doesn’t like Bono and seems to discourage guys from going there.

They’re not in a great spot currently by most objective metrics.

You are 100% correct that they are not in a great spot or even a good spot. Is this the same kind of spot that Minkel was in for the last 5-10 years of his contract? 

Who at UW outside of the wrestling team, who really cares how good/bad they do? If Bono gets them graduate and keeps his nose clean, the admin may not even notice that they suck. Worse thing, they may not even care. 

18 minutes ago, TexRef said:

You are 100% correct that they are not in a great spot or even a good spot. Is this the same kind of spot that Minkel was in for the last 5-10 years of his contract? 

Who at UW outside of the wrestling team, who really cares how good/bad they do? If Bono gets them graduate and keeps his nose clean, the admin may not even notice that they suck. Worse thing, they may not even care. 

Yeah I know it’s been stated that AD’s might not really care about wrestling as long as there are no scandals.

But if Buffalo cares, Wisconsin probably should.

On 4/3/2024 at 6:12 PM, nhs67 said:

What in the last six yesds of a dumpster fire at Wiscy makes you think Reader > Bennett.

Bennett is a CMU guy through and through.

Add to the fact that from what people are saying:  Reader hasn't applied and CMU hasn't reached out to him.  At least one kof those has to happen before he could possibly even be in consideration.

Most of the guys on the team don't like Bennett at all. Bennett will not get the job. 

As I said, I believe Reader could be a very recruiter in state.

• Bob 1

26 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Most of the guys on the team don't like Bennett at all. Bennett will not get the job. 

As I said, I believe Reader could be a very recruiter in state.

So we are okay ignoring the dumpster fire that is Wisconsin, then?

Again, I know Mr. Reader personally and watch his son grow up - both him and Brent Metcalf couldn't have a bigger, unrelated fan than me during their scholastic and collegiate careers.

I am a fan of Michigan wrestling.  The state of Michigan wrestling.  Reader would be a home run homer pick, but the administration shouldn't ignore the dumpster fire that is Wisconsin when making a decision on him.  It is quite simple: "Indifference to bad, evil, or incompetence is worse than bad, evil, or incompetence."  That is just an opinion, though.

Also, when you say most of the guys don't like Bennett, I have a feeling you are getting that information from one or two guys that have that opinion.  Wrestling is tough.  Some kids don't have that grit.  That's fine.

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

So we are okay ignoring the dumpster fire that is Wisconsin, then?

Again, I know Mr. Reader personally and watch his son grow up - both him and Brent Metcalf couldn't have a bigger, unrelated fan than me during their scholastic and collegiate careers.

I am a fan of Michigan wrestling.  The state of Michigan wrestling.  Reader would be a home run homer pick, but the administration shouldn't ignore the dumpster fire that is Wisconsin when making a decision on him.  It is quite simple: "Indifference to bad, evil, or incompetence is worse than bad, evil, or incompetence."  That is just an opinion, though.

Also, when you say most of the guys don't like Bennett, I have a feeling you are getting that information from one or two guys that have that opinion.  Wrestling is tough.  Some kids don't have that grit.  That's fine.

I'm not ignoring Wisconsin, it's up to the CMU adm to figure out if Reader is the guy. All's I'm saying is Reader should be a good recruiter in Michigan. I've been told, Bennett is not a good coach, period. Please name me one guy that he's made at 174, 184, 197??

• Bob 1

Just now, Dakota said:

I'm not ignoring Wisconsin, it's up to the CMU adm to figure out if Reader is the guy. All's I'm saying is Reader should be a good recruiter in Michigan. I've been told, Bennett is not a good coach, period. Please name me one guy that he's made at 174, 184, 197??

The last three years, CMU is 143W - 125L and Wiscy is 107W - 112L in the same span.

Your point is quite irrelevant.

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

The last three years, CMU is 143W - 125L and Wiscy is 107W - 112L in the same span.

Your point is quite irrelevant.

I'm not comparing the two, we can totally get in the weeds. I'm not even arguing that Reader is better than Bennett.  CMU is not keeping Ben, period. We can make a bet. They are smart enough not to go the MSU route. 

18 minutes ago, Dakota said:

I'm not comparing the two, we can totally get in the weeds. I'm not even arguing that Reader is better than Bennett.  CMU is not keeping Ben, period. We can make a bet. They are smart enough not to go the MSU route. 

Well I don't want to make a bet because I would be perfectly happy with them bringing Reader in and keeping Bennett as the AHC.

I was just shocked that folks thought Reader was a home run where Bennett was not.

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Well I don't want to make a bet because I would be perfectly happy with them bringing Reader in and keeping Bennett as the AHC.

I was just shocked that folks thought Reader was a home run where Bennett was not.

That would seem unlikely. Change of scenery could be good for both. 

On 4/5/2024 at 11:15 AM, nhs67 said:

From what I'm hearing, no Reader. It's probably going to come down to a couple of former CMU wrestlers. I'm probably going to have to eat crow.

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, Dakota said:

From what I'm hearing, no Reader. It's probably going to come down to a couple of former CMU wrestlers. I'm probably going to have to eat crow.

Nah, bro.  No crow there, regardless of whom it might end up being.  You (and I) just want what is best for CMU insofar as what might be a competitive thing and it just happens that we have differing opinions.

• Bob 1

3 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

not a single one entered the portal

Which tells me that Bennett isn't disliked or hated by the mob, just an individual or two.

3 hours ago, Greenwave said:

I agree 100%, he probably held a wrestler or two accountable.  Impressive non hit the portal.

Well, lets wait until they announce who the coach is. Also, many guys may not have better options. This is not a star studded team we are talking about.

Edited by Dakota

Borrelli retiring we should all know did not come out of the blue, so they should have a replacement plan.  Seeing the comments are Buffalo is going to drop their program.   If CMU does it same year that’s less heat on them.

i hope I am wrong on this but two D1 schools with open positions for so long is concerning, seeing they hire football coaches in a week along with woman’s and men’s basketball  and softball coaches in less time.

17 minutes ago, Greenwave said:

Borrelli retiring we should all know did not come out of the blue, so they should have a replacement plan.  Seeing the comments are Buffalo is going to drop their program.   If CMU does it same year that’s less heat on them.

i hope I am wrong on this but two D1 schools with open positions for so long is concerning, seeing they hire football coaches in a week along with woman’s and men’s basketball  and softball coaches in less time.

Yeah. I think you’re reaching and being pessimistic. CMU has rich tradition and wrestling is continually their best sport. 

12 hours ago, flyingcement said:

So back to actual coaching candidates instead of predicting the demise of the program...

with Reader back in Wisconsin for next year, who are some options?  August Wesley comes to mind immediately 😉

Michalak and Bennett.