FRL would be good if they talked about wrestling.

I didn’t think it was too bad considering there’s nothing really coming up until conference tourneys, but I’ll admit Ollie was kinda annoying.  I liked him when he was first on like a year or 2 ago before he disappeared for awhile.  Since he’s come back he seems to be trying to force the humor which isn’t really working IMO.

I do like Tyler though, I think he could be a decent replacement for Ben if they don’t bring in someone completely new.  Overall I’m not sure if they need 4 people on at a time anyway, it’s kinda a lot.

• Fire 3

Dear Diary,

Woke up today in my unwashed bed feeling unrested on account of my severe sleep apnea. Arthritis in all my joints kicking my 350 lb ass. Made a pot of my third favorite coffee. Had the extra money on account of not having to purchase hair care products anymore. Read the morning newspaper, which I still have delivered because I’m old as shit and act like it. Spent a little time dreaming about my third ex-wife getting run over by a cement mixer. Could have been a tanker truck, but my memory isn’t too good thanks to diabetes and high blood pressure slowly putting holes in my brain. Spent three hours trying to take a shit. Scored myself two new flaming hot hemorrhoids, which only adds to my baseline, irrationally high anger. Good news is I stole a gallon of cooking wine from my neighbor and hoping to catch a buzz off it later. If not, I can always huff spray paint while reading the stack of mail from collections. 

More good news is there’s a thread complaining about FRL on my favorite forum. Going to spend a little time there with my people - those who have all the same issues I do. We can complain together for a while, and then it’s off to coach wrestling where I can take out all that anger on a couple dozen high school kids.

We’ll put this day in the win column. Couldn’t ask for more. 

• Fire 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JuanMogen said:

Dear Diary,

Woke up today in my unwashed bed feeling unrested on account of my severe sleep apnea. Arthritis in all my joints kicking my 350 lb ass. Made a pot of my third favorite coffee. Had the extra money on account of not having to purchase hair care products anymore. Read the morning newspaper, which I still have delivered because I’m old as shit and act like it. Spent a little time dreaming about my third ex-wife getting run over by a cement mixer. Could have been a tanker truck, but my memory isn’t too good thanks to diabetes and high blood pressure slowly putting holes in my brain. Spent three hours trying to take a shit. Scored myself two new flaming hot hemorrhoids, which only adds to my baseline, irrationally high anger. Good news is I stole a gallon of cooking wine from my neighbor and hoping to catch a buzz off it later. If not, I can always huff spray paint while reading the stack of mail from collections. 

More good news is there’s a thread complaining about FRL on my favorite forum. Going to spend a little time there with my people - those who have all the same issues I do. We can complain together for a while, and then it’s off to coach wrestling where I can take out all that anger on a couple dozen high school kids.

"If you criticize flo you are a fat abusive loser". Sweet argument.

I'll give you props though, that reads like the cynical Gen z version of a playboy article. And we all know Gen z loves to be miserable as much as former generations loved hot women taking their clothes off. You have real talent as a journalist in the year 2024 where the writer is meant to defend the establishment or corporation while brow beating the reader without addressing any bit of reality. You're great at it.

12 hours ago, whaletail said:

Ben's leaving?  Any explanation?

As annoying as he could be, he anchored the show really well.  His thoughts on coaching were genius, and his general curiosity was infectious.

Given the above, certain aspects of his ideology were both inexplicable and maddening, but FRL may really flounder without him (and especially without Willie to play a similar role).

he said he wants to devote all his time towards coaching. I feel like he likely makes some reappearances because I doubt a T,Th show for an hour from 8:30-10 hampers his ability to coach that much.

12 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

FRL has been trash for years.  They learned a long time ago that chasing the least common denominator is profitable somehow.  Or, that’s at least what the people beating the drums have ordained.  

There is a reason there has been an exodus of all of the true wrestling people from that ship over the years.

Flowrestling is a textbook example of not fully appreciating how good something is until it changes.  I yearn for the bader floreani front lawn wrestling matches, the fretwell roper commentated scuffle matches, and the killer bader joe flo russia coverage they used to pump out when enthusiasm for the sport was what drove the ship.  It was a beautiful thing.  Alas, the almighty dollar sign took a big fat dump on that hub of enthusiasm.

You might like the series JD & Tyler did when they visited a bunch of colleges and stayed at wrestling clubs to raise money for wrestling clubs in Maui

• Fire 2

It's just a problem with podcasts in general. When you make yourself do them on a set schedule they tend to move towards "welp we better fill the time" and away from "damn I am so excited to talk about this stuff"

• Fire 3

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

but I’ll admit Ollie was kinda annoying.  I liked him when he was first on like a year or 2 ago before he disappeared for awhile.  Since he’s come back he seems to be trying to force the humor which isn’t really working IMO.

Ollie seems like he's trying to do a character of a guy who people thought was cool on Long Island.  He comes off as  inauthentic 

• Fire 3

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 hour ago, forkemaz said:

"If you criticize flo you are a fat abusive loser". Sweet argument.

I'll give you props though, that reads like the cynical Gen z version of a playboy article. And we all know Gen z loves to be miserable as much as former generations loved hot women taking their clothes off. You have real talent as a journalist in the year 2024 where the writer is meant to defend the establishment or corporation while brow beating the reader without addressing any bit of reality. You're great at it.

And you can, ironically, keep playing the part of the miserable, angry public, overly critical of a completely free of charge form of entertainment that does 100 times better than anything the complainers here could pull off.

1 hour ago, alex1fly said:

It's just a problem with podcasts in general. When you make yourself do them on a set schedule they tend to move towards "welp we better fill the time" and away from "damn I am so excited to talk about this stuff"

This is an excellent point.  They have air space they are told to fill and thus, just crank out nonsense.  This 100% fits and tracks.

1 hour ago, PortaJohn said:

Ollie seems like he's trying to do a character of a guy who people thought was cool on Long Island.  He comes off as  inauthentic 

Yup.  I will say I have enjoyed the Ben/Dylan Palacio beef though

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, JuanMogen said:

And you can, ironically, keep playing the part of the miserable, angry public, overly critical of a completely free of charge form of entertainment that does 100 times better than anything the complainers here could pull off.

And now if it's free you also can't criticize. Tell me, in your utopia where only praise is given is the currency lollipops?

And I love that the flo ride or die defenders always insist no one on here could do better. It's simply not true. Unless you're saying we can't afford the camera angles and useless office space. 

Here's the real deal: people listen to the show because they love wrestling not because they love flo. There are things to appreciate about flo. Their consistent content is the number 1 reason. It's not because no one can do what they are doing. there are better podcasts, the ufc fight pass wrestling match broadcasts were high quality and more reliable. Flo has brand recognition and they show up to work. Good for them. That doesn't mean we all need to never say an ill word about them.

• Fire 3

30 minutes ago, forkemaz said:

And now if it's free you also can't criticize. Tell me, in your utopia where only praise is given is the currency lollipops?

And I love that the flo ride or die defenders always insist no one on here could do better. It's simply not true. Unless you're saying we can't afford the camera angles and useless office space. 

Here's the real deal: people listen to the show because they love wrestling not because they love flo. There are things to appreciate about flo. Their consistent content is the number 1 reason. It's not because no one can do what they are doing. there are better podcasts, the ufc fight pass wrestling match broadcasts were high quality and more reliable. Flo has brand recognition and they show up to work. Good for them. That doesn't mean we all need to never say an ill word about them.

Never said you can’t criticize them, but are you suggesting we can’t compliment them? 

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

With Palacio getting teched by Alvan from Brazil/Columbia U today, I'll have to imagine that Askren might get the best of him.

Yup, definitely makes sense that he would chicken out.  But I gotta agree with Askren…if Palacio was afraid of someone showing up that could actually take him down, he probably shouldn’t have done it

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, JuanMogen said:

Never said you can’t criticize them, but are you suggesting we can’t compliment them? 

I complimented them in the post you quoted. There's a reason they get a lot of hate. Where there is smoke there is fire. In a recent baschamania lays out the issue with flo but he is talking about why they don't win media awards. It's a vote system and when you go around bullying, backstabbing and information throttling you don't win a lot of friends In the industry and apparently the fan base seems to have similar complaints. 

Fans cry about media. There is a an entire shtick that is just upsetting fans think Stephen A Smith 

1 minute ago, forkemaz said:

I complimented them in the post you quoted. There's a reason they get a lot of hate. Where there is smoke there is fire. In a recent baschamania lays out the issue with flo but he is talking about why they don't win media awards. It's a vote system and when you go around bullying, backstabbing and information throttling you don't win a lot of friends In the industry and apparently the fan base seems to have similar complaints. 

its not that complicated. they aren't professional, funny, knowledgeable or charismatic...

• Fire 2

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

6 hours ago, fishbane said:

I don't mind them getting derailed or talking about non wrestling things that actually exist like bad St. Louis pizza, but I cannot deal with the cryptozoology discussion.  That is total nonsense.   I was glad when Bratke left and that crap came to an end.

Yes, "Alien Hour" or whatever it was called was the worst.  I slid the play bar through that complete crapola.  They do like to talk about hotels, food, weather, clothing, road trips, TV shows, and the proverbial price of tea in China.  If it is in passing, short, and humorous,  I'm okay with it.  If not, it should be curtailed.

Edited by SocraTease
  • Fire 2

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

With Palacio getting teched by Alvan from Brazil/Columbia U today, I'll have to imagine that Askren might get the best of him.

Palacio looked terrible today.  He could have been taken down by a 90 year old blind grandmother on crutches.

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, JuanMogen said:

Dear Diary,

This "diary" entry reminded me of the opening to Dostoevsky's *Notes from Underground*:

I am a sick man.... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe my liver is diseased. However, I know nothing at all about my disease, and do not know for certain what ails me. I don’t consult a doctor for it, and never have, though I have a respect for medicine and doctors. Besides, I am extremely superstitious, sufficiently so to respect medicine, anyway (I am well-educated enough not to be superstitious, but I am superstitious). No, I refuse to consult a doctor from spite. That you probably will not understand. Well, I understand it, though. Of course, I can’t explain who it is precisely that I am mortifying in this case by my spite: I am perfectly well aware that I cannot “pay out” the doctors by not consulting them; I know better than anyone that by all this I am only injuring myself and no one else. But still, if I don’t consult a doctor it is from spite. My liver is bad, well—let it get worse!

I have been going on like that for a long time—twenty years. Now I am forty. I used to be in the government service, but am no longer. I was a spiteful official. I was rude and took pleasure in being so. I did not take bribes, you see, so I was bound to find a recompense in that, at least. (A poor jest, but I will not scratch it out. I wrote it thinking it would sound very witty; but now that I have seen myself that I only wanted to show off in a despicable way, I will not scratch it out on purpose!)

When petitioners used to come for information to the table at which I sat, I used to grind my teeth at them, and felt intense enjoyment when I succeeded in making anybody unhappy. I almost did succeed. For the most part they were all timid people—of course, they were petitioners. But of the uppish ones there was one officer in particular I could not endure. He simply would not be humble, and clanked his sword in a disgusting way. I carried on a feud with him for eighteen months over that sword. At last I got the better of him. He left off clanking it. That happened in my youth, though.

But do you know, gentlemen, what was the chief point about my spite? Why, the whole point, the real sting of it lay in the fact that continually, even in the moment of the acutest spleen, I was inwardly conscious with shame that I was not only not a spiteful but not even an embittered man, that I was simply scaring sparrows at random and amusing myself by it. I might foam at the mouth, but bring me a doll to play with, give me a cup of tea with sugar in it, and maybe I should be appeased. I might even be genuinely touched, though probably I should grind my teeth at myself afterwards and lie awake at night with shame for months after. That was my way.

I was lying when I said just now that I was a spiteful official. I was lying from spite. I was simply amusing myself with the petitioners and with the officer, and in reality I never could become spiteful. I was conscious every moment in myself of many, very many elements absolutely opposite to that. I felt them positively swarming in me, these opposite elements. I knew that they had been swarming in me all my life and craving some outlet from me, but I would not let them, would not let them, purposely would not let them come out. They tormented me till I was ashamed: they drove me to convulsions and—sickened me, at last, how they sickened me! Now, are not you fancying, gentlemen, that I am expressing remorse for something now, that I am asking your forgiveness for something? I am sure you are fancying that ... However, I assure you I do not care if you are....

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

This "diary" entry reminded me of the opening to Dostoevsky's *Notes from Underground*:

I am a sick man.... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe my liver is diseased.

Hard book to read, but so worth it! 

As for Flo, it would be good if they didn't have commercials on their tweets. Who the **** does that? What they are basically providing is a commercial for somebody else on top of a commercial for themselves. And the commercials during their broadcasts of events occasionally interrupt the match you're watching, and we don't have TIVO to zap it. When they don't interrupt the match, they interrupt the end-of-match celebrations, the coach's reaction, the raising of the hand (As a community, we disrespect refs so ******* much it's incredible, check out the wall of invisible refs below).

Also, if you want to look at video from a wrestler named "Mark Smith," well, **** you. There are eighty Mark Smiths in their database, and they are not maintained in any logical order. You have to go through all of the avatars to find your Mark Smith, and that means wading through all the Mark Smiths who wrestled in a JV high school tournament in 2019. 

Their cameras were bought from Charlie Chaplin's film production company. C'mon, man, 360 pixels is the same as the video that your uncle sent to you of his dog and new girlfriend back in 2006. And Trackwrestling. Oh my!

I will watch FRL during NCAA tournament time. 

ILLINIWRESTLING893.jpg

• Fire 1

11 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I didn’t think it was too bad considering there’s nothing really coming up until conference tourneys, but I’ll admit Ollie was kinda annoying.  I liked him when he was first on like a year or 2 ago before he disappeared for awhile.  Since he’s come back he seems to be trying to force the humor which isn’t really working IMO.

I do like Tyler though, I think he could be a decent replacement for Ben if they don’t bring in someone completely new.  Overall I’m not sure if they need 4 people on at a time anyway, it’s kinda a lot.

Tyler is sick. Sometimes I email FRL to let them know I like Tyler and hate Ollie. How do we get this to them so they can all know?

There’s at least 4 of us that share your sentiment and this forum isn’t all that large compared to the FRL audience so it must be a larger portion. 

@Jon_Kozak are you a flo guy?