Biggest Darkhorse's to make a run at NCAA's

Truzzcat

22 hours ago, BloodRound said:

174 I'm rooting for Rutgers's Turley to make another run to the podium to (possibly) close out his career.

197 can't help but root for Little to finish atop the podium

285 Nevils could surprise a few people I think

Rooting for Turley as well and another 174 who I think could sneak in there is Justin McCoy from UVA. Also hoping DJ McGee from GMU can make some noise. 

now these guys all gotta qualify first....

• Fire 1

16 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

I think Ryder Rogotzke is going to ruin a higher seeds dream this year or at a minimum give someones fanbase a near heart attack.  

I guess you can "throw" Soldano in there too...

13 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

i'm bewildered by the people some are willing to label "dark horse".

Yeah... and what does "make noise" at the NCAA mean? Darkhorse means a finish way above your ranking.

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

6 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Yeah... and what does "make noise" at the NCAA mean? Darkhorse means a finish way above your ranking.

Amen.

In the four years since we expanded to seeding all 33 there have been three #26 seeds to AA (a huge outlier).

• 2019 - Dakota Greer OK ST 184 finished 7th.
  • 2021 - Jackson Turley RUT 174 finished 8th.
  • 2021 - Jake Woodley OK 197 finished 6th.

So the question is which #26 seed will AA this year?

Or if you like, seeds 16 - 33 have less than a 10% chance of AAing.

So, who will AA from the bottom half of seeds?

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

yep Turley made noise in 2021 with that 8th place finish from a 26 seed, as did fellow Virginian KIllian Cardinale with a 7th place finish that same year off a 17 seed (ok less noise) and an 8th place finish last year from a 28 seed. 

Edited by 11986

11 minutes ago, 11986 said:

yep Turley made noise in 2021 with that 8th place finish from a 26 seed, as did fellow Virginian KIllian Cardinale with a 7th place finish that same year off a 17 seed (ok less noise) and an 8th place finish last year from a 28 seed. 

Agree... even Cardinale from 17 to 7 is definitely "noise"...especially with 11 braces on his body. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

3 minutes ago, Rassling said:
Yonger Bastida Heavy Weight
Bastida finished the regular season with a 20-0 record, an 83:2 takedown ratio, 13 bonus-point victories and six top-10 wins.

But how is he a dark horse? How is any undefeated wrestler with 6 top 10 wins a dark horse?

• Fire 2

2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

But how is he a dark horse? How is any undefeated wrestler with 6 top 10 wins a dark horse?

Because he could go all the way by the way he’s wrestling. Everyone is picking Kerk as I am. Just my opinion Wrestleknownothing. Hey what do I know, I consider myself a Rasslingknownothing. 

8 minutes ago, Rassling said:

Because he could go all the way by the way he’s wrestling. Everyone is picking Kerk as I am. Just my opinion Wrestleknownothing. Hey what do I know, I consider myself a Rasslingknownothing. 

True. But he's not a "dark horse".    From Wikipedia: A dark horse is a previously lesser-known person, team or thing that emerges to prominence in a situation, especially in a competition involving multiple rivals,[1] 

Edited by Major Kong

Dark Horse HOF

Wyatt "Chip and a Chair" Sheets - After an injury riddled season, comes in as the 33 seed at 157 in 2021 only after another wrestler had to withdraw (he was essentially the 34 seed), and takes 8th for a 25 slot improvement.

Yahya "Yeah Yeah" Thomas - Also in 2021, Thomas entered 149 as the 25 seed after a shaky B1G tournie, only to catch a heater and finish 3rd for a 22 slot jump.

Killian "So Nice I Will Do It Twice" Cardinale - There was something in the water in 2021. Cardinale entered that tournament as the 17 seed, but rallied to finish 7th at 125. Then, 2023 Cardinale told 2021 Cardinale to hold his beer. After having to take a med forfeit and an inj default at the ACC tournie, he snuck in as the 28 seed, before making the podium in 8th place.

2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Dark Horse HOF

Wyatt "Chip and a Chair" Sheets - After an injury riddled season, comes in as the 33 seed at 157 in 2021 only after another wrestler had to withdraw (he was essentially the 34 seed), and takes 8th for a 25 slot improvement.

Yahya "Yeah Yeah" Thomas - Also in 2021, Thomas entered 149 as the 25 seed after a shaky B1G tournie, only to catch a heater and finish 3rd for a 22 slot jump.

Killian "So Nice I Will Do It Twice" Cardinale - There was something in the water in 2021. Cardinale entered that tournament as the 17 seed, but rallied to finish 7th at 125. Then, 2023 Cardinale told 2021 Cardinale to hold his beer. After having to take a med forfeit and an inj default at the ACC tournie, he snuck in as the 28 seed, before making the podium in 8th place.

For someone who claims he’s a know nothing you certainly know a lot. 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I do not know what you are talking about.

Your name says one thing but you have a lot of knowledge about the sport from what I’ve seen. It’ was meant to be a compliment. Nothing more. 

7 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Dark Horse HOF

Mark Branch?  🤔

2 minutes ago, Rassling said:

Your name says one thing but you have a lot of knowledge about the sport from what I’ve seen. It’ was meant to be a compliment. Nothing more. 

Everyone seems to think it is wrestle know nothing, but I'm Irish on my father in law's side so it is actually wrestle known o'thing.

1 minute ago, ionel said:

Mark Branch?  🤔

yeah, unseeded is always tough. Is that the 9ish seed, the 13ish seed, the 17ish seed? In his case they seeded to 12, but regardless going from unseeded to first is pretty damn impressive. Maybe the HOF needs to add a wing.

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Everyone seems to think it is wrestle know nothing, but I'm Irish on my father in law's side so it is actually wrestle known o'thing.

I say BS ... you're not Irish ... you just like whiskey.