Has Iowa Sat on Arnold because they knew the decision was gonna be based on plott match?

Can a smarter person tell me if this makes sense? Brands' in a recent interview said that "we have two true freshmen who we can wrestle and not bring them out of redshirt," looks like the plan was to keep both options open as long as possible, which makes more sense than me and others have given credit for...

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

9 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Can a smarter person tell me if this makes sense? Brands' in a recent interview said that "we have two true freshmen who we can wrestle and not bring them out of redshirt," looks like the plan was to keep both options open as long as possible, which makes more sense than me and others have given credit for...

Pretty sure I said as much a couple weeks ago, they'd plug Arnold in to get him ready for Plott (cause the dual is a big thing to both teams) but in such a way that he still has rs option or ready to go if wanting him for tournament points. 

1 hour ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Yeah I'm sure the Iowa staff is checked out mentally on the subject....

They left the decision up to Gabe just telling you what I know . They've a good 174 in Kennedy. And left the decision up to Gabe if he wanted to go 184 or not

Edited by Corby

20 minutes ago, Corby said:

They left the decision up to Gabe just telling you what I know . They've a good 174 in Kennedy. And left the decision up to Gabe if he wanted to go 184 or not

Well earlier in the year he publicly stated that answer was no.  But he may have changed his mind of course…

24 minutes ago, Corby said:

I'm sure you heard that but that's a meaningless expression. The staff has their own ideas on the subject and is influencing in that direction.

Since this has nothing to do with the coaches, anyone with inside info on odds Gabe gets on the bus, what are starters saying, are they holding a seat, how is Nelson betting? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, charmon55 said:

If he decided to, would Gabe even be allowed to compete at 174 for BIG 10s? Im assuming Iowa wants him at 184 for duals specifically. 

Wouldn't think he could make the drop now but 174 doesn't make sense for either dual or tournament points.  But I guess if the coaches don't have a say in it ...

Am I the only one who has been 100% assuming all along that Arnold won't give up his redshirt?  He doesn't really look ready to wrestle his best (which I think is going to be really good), and why would he spend one of his eligibility years on 184# when he isn't grown into that weight?  

I suppose they might see his points as making a difference in the 2-8 team place race, but I don't see him as a likely top 4 finisher, nor even a sure AA, so we're talking about a huge sacrifice for not a lot of points.  

• Fire 1

I don't think I understand the logic of burning his RS to wrestle up a weight.  If he can beat Kennedy in the room and wants to go, shouldn't he have the chance at 174 or is Kennedy beating him?  

If he burns his RS it will be with 3 matches at 184.   I am surprised Iowa coaches aren't taking a long term view with him.   I think he is going to great and his team points might matter in 3-4 years. 

2 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

I don't think I understand the logic of burning his RS to wrestle up a weight.  If he can beat Kennedy in the room and wants to go, shouldn't he have the chance at 174 or is Kennedy beating him?  

If he burns his RS it will be with 3 matches at 184.   I am surprised Iowa coaches aren't taking a long term view with him.   I think he is going to great and his team points might matter in 3-4 years. 

Iowa is supposed to trophy. thats the explanation. 

1 minute ago, Hammerlock3 said:

You're probably right that would be why he goes.  Which would not be wise based on what we've seen.  There will be more tournaments and more trophies, but he can only wrestle in 4 of them.  He will score (a lot, I think) more points that will support Iowa team trophies in his 4 tries if he redshirts. My only caveat is if he looks much sharper and more like a 184 pounder this weekend but I still can't see him being really ready for three tough days a month from now.  

11 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Then why would the decision be his alone?   As @dragit mentioned there is no guarantee he AAs even if he keeps it close with Plott in the dual.  

Edited by Dogbone

9 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

Then why would the decision be his alone?   As @dragit mentioned there is no guarantee he AAs even if he keeps it close with Plott in the dual.  

its not his alone. That's just something coaches like to say so they don't sound tyrannical. 

Edited by Hammerlock3
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

8 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

its not his alone. That's just something coaches like to say so they don't sound tyrannical. 

It’s his decision, in so long as he makes the decision the coaches have already decided.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, D3UC157 said:

It’s his decision, in so long as he makes the decision the coaches have already decided.

but maybe it was his decision to eat and wrestle 184   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 minutes ago, strange_daze said:

It’s a simple take, but I say: wrestle now, while you can. Not for the team but because next year is never guaranteed.

Disagree in this case but respect the logic.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, dragit said:

Disagree in this case but respect the logic.

supporting his case is the fact that high school kids seem to be more ready every year. Remember when it used to be a big deal when a true freshmen made the finals?

• Fire 2

I should say that I think him wrestling Saturday is a perfect move, a savvy use of the new redshirt rules.  It's a very important dual for the team for a lot of reasons, and it's a very good opportunity for him to get big match experience.  

It would mess that up though if they then blow the redshirt for probably not much reward in return for giving up a year of eligibility of a potential great.  And would look particularly bad after what to me was a huge mistake with wrestling Lee in the 2021-22 season instead of having him have surgery and recuperate.  Lee always insisted it was his choice, which a lot of people didn't buy, but even if it was, I think the staff should have guided him the other way.

• Fire 1