Trent Hidlay hodge

Truzzcat

I know it seems unlikely given the man at the top of his weight class, but if trent were to beat aaron at NCAA's I think he has as strong of a case as anyone for the hodge aside from maybe keegan going undefeated at 165. He has a 85.71% bonus rate and will have 29/30 wins if he were to beat brooks including a very strong SOS. Just something i have not seen mentioned and I believe he has jumped levels enough to beat Aaron im not sure but I think it will definitely be a match.

7 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

I know it seems unlikely given the man at the top of his weight class, but if trent were to beat aaron at NCAA's I think he has as strong of a case as anyone for the hodge aside from maybe keegan going undefeated at 165. He has a 85.71% bonus rate and will have 29/30 wins if he were to beat brooks including a very strong SOS. Just something i have not seen mentioned and I believe he has jumped levels enough to beat Aaron im not sure but I think it will definitely be a match.

Not gonna happen. Mr Brooks will end his 2024 college wrestling career as a 4x state champ, 4x Big10 champ and 4x NCAA champ. How about that for a resume!

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Rassling said:

Not gonna happen. Mr Brooks will end his 2024 college wrestling career as a 4x state champ, 4x Big10 champ and 4x NCAA champ. How about that for a resume!

Just add 4x world champ or Oly champ and we'll call it good.  Looking forward to seeing all these young studs taking it to the next level.  Reloading USA wrestling.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, MidwestMan said:

Just add 4x world champ or Oly champ and we'll call it good.  Looking forward to seeing all these young studs taking it to the next level.  Reloading USA wrestling.

me too MidwestMan! I want nothing but the best for them all!

• Fire 1

Even if Hidlay upsets Brooks, the order goes like this to the voters:

1) undefeated 165

2) Starocci

3) Fix if he wins and goes undefeated

4) Vito

5) One loss 165

6) Hidlay

But honestly the most realistic outcome is each 4x'er gets a Hodge because it has become an NFL MVP award at this point.

i am an idiot on the internet

21 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

1) undefeated 165

2) Starocci

4) Vito

5) One loss 165

6) Hidlay

But honestly the most realistic outcome is each 4x'er gets a Hodge because it has become an NFL MVP award at this point.

Vito already out of discussion.  Wrestled part of a season, took a loss to a freshman, ducked, not dominant.

59 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Vito already out of discussion.  Wrestled part of a season, took a loss to a freshman, ducked, not dominant.

If Brooks, Starocci, and Fix all lose plus 165 winner has at least one loss, then Vito is absolutely in play. It's a very unlikely scenario but certainly is in play.

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

1) undefeated 165

2) Starocci

4) Vito

5) One loss 165

6) Hidlay

Brooks, Starocci, or Brooks AND Starocci. 

Hidlay is a great wrestler, but hot damn his profile pic ought to be him straddling the boundary line with Aaron Brooks back facing the center. 

He just refuses to wrestle Brooks, and no referee will call it accordingly.

In their NCAA finals match he had a least one foot on or over the line for over a minute in the first four minutes of the match. I stopped timing after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1
  • Stalling 1

20 minutes ago, Le duke said:

He just refuses to wrestle Brooks, and no referee will call it accordingly.

In their NCAA finals match he had a least one foot on or over the line for over a minute in the first four minutes of the match. I stopped timing after that.

Yeah; It was really bad when Trent was almost taken down and intentionally reached off the mat to stop the action!

Oh wait, that wasn't him.

22 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Yeah; It was really bad when Trent was almost taken down and intentionally reached off the mat to stop the action!

Are you trying to say that Trent Hidlay was robbed of an NCAA title against Aaron Brooks?

The match should have been over at that point.

Hidlay does not get nearly the respect he deserves, and he absolutely is a legit threat to Brooks.  Yes, if he pulls it off the Hodge still goes to Starocci, but the Hidlay-Brooks matchup is still a great storyline.

For three years in a row, Hidlays has lost to Brooks in the NCAAs finals/semis.  All close:  3-2, 6-4 SV, 6-3.  If Brooks didn't exist, then Hidlay would be, at minimum, a 3x finalist and 1x champ, and might even being going for his 4th right now (if he won in the finals in '22-23).  

The main difference is that this year, Hidlay seems to have level-jumped and, more importantly, opened up his offense.  He went from a 25% bonus rate when he lost to Brooks as a freshman, to his current 85%.  Before this year, he'd never bonused a top-10 opponent. This year he majored #3 Beard and #5 Cardenas.  

Of course, Brooks isn't exactly standing still, and is still the favorite. 

But the question I want to know is -- how will Hidlay wrestle him this time?  Brooks has made no secret of the fact that he hates wrestling Hidlay since he won't open up, making for a defensive battle.  Does Hidlay stick with that game plan, or does he open it up more this time -- more like his other matches? 

I hope he opens it up.  He's a senior, and if he really wanted his title he could have stayed at 184. But he decided to make another run at Brooks. If you're going to lose to the man 4x, at least go out on your shield. My own guess is we see a different Hidlay this time around, and the match ends up being very entertaining.

• Fire 5

11 minutes ago, BAC said:

Hidlay does not get nearly the respect he deserves, and he absolutely is a legit threat to Brooks.  Yes, if he pulls it off the Hodge still goes to Starocci, but the Hidlay-Brooks matchup is still a great storyline.

For three years in a row, Hidlays has lost to Brooks in the NCAAs finals/semis.  All close:  3-2, 6-4 SV, 6-3.  If Brooks didn't exist, then Hidlay would be, at minimum, a 3x finalist and 1x champ, and might even being going for his 4th right now (if he won in the finals in '22-23).  

The main difference is that this year, Hidlay seems to have level-jumped and, more importantly, opened up his offense.  He went from a 25% bonus rate when he lost to Brooks as a freshman, to his current 85%.  Before this year, he'd never bonused a top-10 opponent. This year he majored #3 Beard and #5 Cardenas.  

But the question I want to know is -- how will Hidlay wrestle him this time?  Brooks has made no secret of the fact that he hates wrestling Hidlay since he won't open up, making for a defensive battle.  Does Hidlay stick with that game plan, or does he open it up more this time -- more like his other matches? 

I hope he opens it up.  He's a senior, and if he really wanted his title he could have stayed at 184. But he decided to make another run at Brooks. If you're going to lose to the man 4x, at least go out on your shield. My own guess is we see a different Hidlay this time around, and the match ends up being very entertaining.

I think his only shot is opening it up against Brooks. However I think that works out worse for him. We know what it looks like if he doesn’t open up. The problem is that opening it up is probably a recipe for disaster against Brooks. 

It isn’t that I think Trent isn’t elite either. He is. It’s just that Brooks is an insane talent and has been since high school. I remember when AB committed people legitimately thought he could be a 4x undefeated champ and while he did not accomplish that he has lived up to every bit of the hype he had as a recruit. 

Edited by JimmyCinnabon

11 minutes ago, BAC said:

I'm a PSU fan through and through but much respect to you sir for the amount of time you clearly put into this analysis. Brooks will win imo but I'll watch for Hidlay more closely based on what you shared here. thanks!

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Sometimes your Penn State hate goes too far.  Objectively, Hidlay has stalled his toosh off in each of their matches.  Except last year when he finally engaged and lost by a wider margin than the previous matches.  I enjoy the shots you take at a lot of PSU fans.  Keeps them honest.  But this is just a terrible take

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 hour ago, BAC said:

Awesome post you articulated my points much better than I did, Trent's offense has expanded a ton I think it's certainly a two-horse race it just depends on if he's narrowed the margin enough to give himself a shot or not.

4 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

1) undefeated 165

2) Starocci

4) Vito

5) One loss 165

6) Hidlay

Vito isn’t getting the Hodge, and neither is a 1 loss 165.

The only guys that might get a Hodge with 1 loss are Starocci and Brooks.

• Fire 1