Bono NEEDS to go

4 hours ago, wrestlingfanforlife said:

You are welcome!  I understand the pride of having Wisconsin kids on the roster.  However, when they aren't "the guys" who could and would elevate the program, it gets tough to stomach after seeing the success of the hammers who thrive outside the state!

The situation is no different from any other big ten program not named Iowa, penn state , Ohio State. Count how many hammers have fled Indiana in tje last 6-10years. And Indiana , like Michigan, have two schools in the BIG and still lose  them all. 

3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Sorry.  Not nearly as bad as throwing objects at an official, no matter how you try to rationalize it.

They are both "mat violations" the difference is Brands has done in multiple dozens of times.  As far as we know Cael once and not at a D1 event correct? 

11 hours ago, Southend said:

The situation is no different from any other big ten program not named Iowa, penn state , Ohio State. Count how many hammers have fled Indiana in tje last 6-10years. And Indiana , like Michigan, have two schools in the BIG and still lose  them all. 

Yeah this might not be as damning as I originally thought. However, when you get a new coach 6 years ago with high expectation, you want to measure that and see interest from your in-state studs. Tom Ryan got the job and immediately landed a series of 4x state champions. Granted they got 2nd at NCAAs in his second and third year, so that helped with recruiting. I can't remember how early in high school Steiber committed to tOSU. I think it was an early verbal. 

23 hours ago, poorwrestler said:

I wonder what the replacement plan is for Barnett next year. The only other 125 they have on their roster is a freshman that has only wrestled 133 this year and is 3-4 against D2 and NAIA competition. Reid Spurley coming in as a recruit next year but he’s not ranked in matscouts 2024 big board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurley was out most of this season due to injury; I believe his first matches of the year were at Regionals.

20 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Hopefully this thread permanently gets you off the sidelines and we get your input on a regular basis.  

Yes, you absolutely will be seeing more posts from me.  We have one child left at home; he chose not to wrestle.  We have a blended family, and my boys were wrestlers from a young age.  Alas, they are grown and doing amazing things in adulthood; what we miss the most is simply the time with them spent at countless tournaments!!

• Fire 4

9 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

Yeah this might not be as damning as I originally thought. However, when you get a new coach 6 years ago with high expectation, you want to measure that and see interest from your in-state studs. Tom Ryan got the job and immediately landed a series of 4x state champions. Granted they got 2nd at NCAAs in his second and third year, so that helped with recruiting. I can't remember how early in high school Steiber committed to tOSU. I think it was an early verbal. 

Yes and remember, penn stat was just getting off the ground when Ryan took over an already decent positioned university school in Ohio , hot bed of wrestling. 
but I can feel the frustration of losing the big guys of tje state. Indiana has been loosing for years!

13 hours ago, Southend said:

Granted they got 2nd at NCAAs in his second and third year, so that helped with recruiting.

After that, OSU went 8th, 29th, 5th, 5th, 6th. In that same time period PSU went 9th, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st.

On 2/21/2024 at 1:33 PM, wrestlingfanforlife said:

I have followed and enjoyed this forum both here and at its previous site for many years.  However, this post made me want to sign up and reply, not as a negative response, but to give rationale as to why many Badger wrestling fans are calling for Bono to be gone.

First, I have been around the sport of wrestling since I was old enough to know what wrestling actually was.  During high school, I lived in Northwest Illinois; we got IPT (Iowa Public Television) on our farm.  Yes, I am a life-long Iowa Hawkeyes wrestling fan.  Now, I live about 25 minutes south of Madison, WI.  I met and married a woman with no wrestling background or knowledge... needless to say, she has embraced the sport I love, and we are now Badger Wrestling season ticket holders. 

To address the why:  Bono and staff tout the importance of having in-state kids on the Badger roster.  However, that sentiment really is working against Bono.  When you take a look at the Badger state kids that Bono does not have on the roster, it is frustrating to see their success not in a Badger singlet.   O'Toole, Mocco, and Whiting at Mizzou, Keckeisen at UNI, Messenbrink now and the Mirasolas next year at Penn State, and countless other possible All Americans at other programs make the current roster less than impressive.  Going back to Askren, Pell, and Wagner all ending up at Mizzou, that pipeline was clearly established.  Additionally, the rocky relationship, supposedly on the mend, between Bono and Askren does not help.  While Wisconsin does have subpar facilities, this does not equal doom and gloom for the program.  As alluded to in other threads, a growing number of Badger fans are tired of Bono's antics, and the in-state kids the Badgers get do not compare to the list above!  If you look at the Wisconsin kids on the Badger roster this year and their records, it is not very impressive.  However, one very pleasant surprise for the Badgers has been Shane Leigel, a grad transfer from Division 3 Loras, and a multiple-time Wisconsin State Champion from River Valley High School.

In a nutshell, the Badgers are missing out massively on the "great ones" who keep getting away and are settling for the second-tier recruits, most of whom are just not very successful in a Badger singlet.

Plus, that whole NIL thing!

Now this is the kind of credibility needed to justify a thread like this. 

6 hours ago, MPhillips said:

After that, OSU went 8th, 29th, 5th, 5th, 6th. In that same time period PSU went 9th, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st.

Ouch, that doesn’t bode well.

He did lose both Snyder and Tervel, I have always wondered just a bit about what led to that happening.

I do have to give him credit though, Ryan got the Ohio State job bc he made Hofstra good.  They were a real problem for a number of years in the mid to late 2000’s with Ryan as coach.

He doesn’t have a great record of getting high tier guys to the top though.  I can’t help but think of Steiber the younger, Kollin Moore, Tomasello, Sasso, and Mckenna.  If these guys are on different teams, I really think they come home with (more) titles.  Moore could have been a 2x champ in my opinion.  Same with Sasso.  Tomasello realistically a 2x-3x guy.  Mckenna definitely should have pulled down a title or two in his time.  

I don’t doubt that he graduates young men with character, but I also don’t doubt that going to Ohio State for the blue chip guys means never seeing the top 15% of your potential.

5 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

They were a real problem for a number of years in the mid to late 2000’s with Ryan as coach.

After that they went 6th, champs, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, COVID...Finished fourth last season out of nowhere.

I don't disagree with much of what you said. Moore ran into a guy that had the tourney of his life. Tomasello was 1,3@ 125,3rd at 133, 3rd @ 125 to Spencer. McKenna had N.Lee and Yianni. Sasso...

They've been one of the top three teams since Ryan has been there. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, wrestle87 said:

Ouch, that doesn’t bode well.

He did lose both Snyder and Tervel, I have always wondered just a bit about what led to that happening.

I do have to give him credit though, Ryan got the Ohio State job bc he made Hofstra good.  They were a real problem for a number of years in the mid to late 2000’s with Ryan as coach.

He doesn’t have a great record of getting high tier guys to the top though.  I can’t help but think of Steiber the younger, Kollin Moore, Tomasello, Sasso, and Mckenna.  If these guys are on different teams, I really think they come home with (more) titles.  Moore could have been a 2x champ in my opinion.  Same with Sasso.  Tomasello realistically a 2x-3x guy.  Mckenna definitely should have pulled down a title or two in his time.  

I don’t doubt that he graduates young men with character, but I also don’t doubt that going to Ohio State for the blue chip guys means never seeing the top 15% of your potential.

Who are those people beating? I appreciate the homerism but you are talking about very good wrestlers like these were random upset and this deserves a deeper dive.

Steiber got hurt and additionally had unfair expectations based on his name. He was a lot more Eli than Peyton ya know?

Moore choked exactly one tourney "down" to 4th place (frosh made semis/took 3rd with Cox winning the bracket, Nickal, and covid)

Tomasello overachieved his frosh year if anything. And he can always hang his hat on beating Spencer Lee at B1Gs.

Sasso wasn't ever beating AOC or Yianni

McKenna lost to Meredith who lost to the champ then DNP, transferred to tOSU and lost to Meredith in the semis again then lost to Yianni

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

32 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

@bnwtwg, Thanks for finishing that off. I came back to do just that...

It gave me no joy to have to say those things about top notch dudes, especially all-time underappreciated Kollin Moore.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

8 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Who are those people beating? I appreciate the homerism but you are talking about very good wrestlers like these were random upset and this deserves a deeper dive.

Steiber got hurt and additionally had unfair expectations based on his name. He was a lot more Eli than Peyton ya know?

Moore choked exactly one tourney "down" to 4th place (frosh made semis/took 3rd with Cox winning the bracket, Nickal, and covid)

Tomasello overachieved his frosh year if anything. And he can always hang his hat on beating Spencer Lee at B1Gs.

Sasso wasn't ever beating AOC or Yianni

McKenna lost to Meredith who lost to the champ then DNP, transferred to tOSU and lost to Meredith in the semis again then lost to Yianni

I'm not really an OSU fan, but I did always wish those individuals placed higher than they did.  You make excellent points about their competition.  I think what stands out to me is that tOSU guys through what I'm assuming are my gently jaded glasses, seem to lack a clutch gene.  I should have added Bo Jordan in there as well.  

My overall opinion on these dudes is they had the tools to get it done.  The brutal part is that, I kinda think if these guys had gone to Penn State obviously, but also even Iowa or Okie State, they would have had a better chance of pulling down a national title.  

• Fire 2

6 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

It gave me no joy to have to say those things about top notch dudes, especially all-time underappreciated Kollin Moore.

Nor were Pletcher and Martin mentioned.

I've heard it every season since 2015 when they won. Since then they've finished second(3x), third and fourth. Folks don't remember the years before Ryan and company got there and it shows... 

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

My overall opinion on these dudes is they had the tools to get it done.

if these guys had gone to Penn State obviously...

Tomasello beat three Iowa wrestlers and a PSU wrestler plus Micic to win four B1G titles.

Moore couldn't beat Nickal. He beat the other PSU and the Iowa guys. Lost his senior season to COVID.

Sasso beat the Iowa and PSU guys.

McKenna beat the PSU, Iowa and OKST guys.

The OSU guys you mentioned were really good. I'm not convinced they would have been better at PSU, Iowa or OKST. The conversation was fun and civil. I appreciate that...🍻

• Fire 2

On 2/21/2024 at 9:29 AM, poorwrestler said:

I wonder what the replacement plan is for Barnett next year. The only other 125 they have on their roster is a freshman that has only wrestled 133 this year and is 3-4 against D2 and NAIA competition. Reid Spurley coming in as a recruit next year but he’s not ranked in matscouts 2024 big board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have heard that Rivera (133) will be able to make 125 next year.  

Edited by wrestlingfanforlife
  • Fire 1

On 2/23/2024 at 11:05 PM, wrestle87 said:

I'm not really an OSU fan, but I did always wish those individuals placed higher than they did.  You make excellent points about their competition.  I think what stands out to me is that tOSU guys through what I'm assuming are my gently jaded glasses, seem to lack a clutch gene.  I should have added Bo Jordan in there as well.  

My overall opinion on these dudes is they had the tools to get it done.  The brutal part is that, I kinda think if these guys had gone to Penn State obviously, but also even Iowa or Okie State, they would have had a better chance of pulling down a national title.  

Watch Penn State and key on on two wrestlers this year. Nagao and Truax. Both transfers.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.