PSU vs. Nebraska (2/18)

peanut

41 minutes ago, Le duke said:

For as big and strong as he is I thought he’d be a lot more competitive with a lot of the B1G 285s.

Just got smashed by a guy who weighed in at 43lbs less than him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One does not simply walk into Modor after a three year hiatus from wrestling. 

Antrell Taylor is also a 157 lber wrestling up a weight class. He's a beast.  I'm happy the were able to figure out the lineup where Robb, Taylor, and Bubba are all able to start.  There was a thought of Pinto being at 174 at one point, but maybe that bridge has passed.

On 2/16/2024 at 3:19 PM, jajensen09 said:

Idk. I don't see Nago being able to ride van dee. Van dee is tough to take down. I see it a 1 take down match

Nagao makes his living on top. The back up rode van dee the entire second period. 

Ironic that PSU had mirror issues that Iowa did (a possible duck, and a guy using injury to avoid a TD) with much.lwss furor.

As to the match, best guy on Penn State right now might be Haines.  I've been thinking he's too big and that might catch up to him at NCAAs, but the way he's pouring it on late against good opponents....awesome, separating himself from the field.

125:  Davis may be hitting a bit of a wall, or maybe he's just hitting tougher competition.  Smith finished strong.

133:  Van Dee got baited into a match strategy he should never have approached.

141:  Bartlett looked good other than the injury situation.  I don't love watching him wrestle, but he's damn good.

149: Lovett's lack of neutral offense almost bit him again. Dug deep though.

157:  see above, Haines the man.  Robb was dodging bullets, but they started hitting late.

165: Mesenbrink ok?

174: Starocci dominated

184: Truax's only TD was a counter, otherwise Pinto got his own TDs and stoned Truax effectively and impressively.

197: Brooks just on a different level, plus some regression from Alred.

285:  Yeesh.  Kerk the man to beat until proven otherwise.

• Fire 3

25 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Ironic that PSU had mirror issues that Iowa did (a possible duck, and a guy using injury to avoid a TD) with much.lwss furor.

I already acknowledged both earlier and Im sure fellow PSU fans would do the same. Can’t wait for the big 10’s!

4 hours ago, Rassling said:

Wow and I felt Davis getting dropped from 2 to 6 on the rankings was a bit harsh but after seeing the gutsy performance of Smirh, perhaps it wasn’t low enough. 

Davis is probably (at best) the 5th best 125 in the B1G. He has losses on his record against Smith (NEB) and Ayala (Iowa).

In addition to those losses, it was declared afterward that he should have lost to Kilkeary (tOSU).

Against DeAugustino (Michigan), Davis escaped with 1:14 to go in the 3rd to make it 1-1 (with 0:59 RT). PSU challenged the timing of the ESC point to get RT back to exactly 1:00. He then tied up and stalled for the remaining 1:14 of 3rd period. DeAugustino missed a desperation TD to lose 5-1. I'd easily take DeAugustino in a rematch.

I'd also take Barnett (WI) and McKee (MN) over Davis.

Just now, lu_alum said:

Davis is probably (at best) the 5th best 125 in the B1G. He has losses on his record against Smith (NEB) and Ayala (Iowa).

In addition to those losses, it was declared afterward that he should have lost to Kilkeary (tOSU).

Against DeAugustino (Michigan), Davis escaped with 1:14 to go in the 3rd to make it 1-1 (with 0:59 RT). PSU challenged the timing of the ESC point to get RT back to exactly 1:00. He then tied up and stalled for the remaining 1:14 of 3rd period. DeAugustino missed a desperation TD to lose 5-1. I'd easily take DeAugustino in a rematch.

I'd also take Barnett (WI) and McKee (MN) over Davis.

The riding time challenge was the correct call. Im surprised they only rolled it back 1 second.

6 minutes ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

The riding time challenge was the correct call. Im surprised they only rolled it back 1 second.

Fair enough.  But you can't deny that Davis went defensive and shut it down for the remainder of the bout.  Also... they didn't add back the 14 seconds to the bout time.  If RT was actually 1:00, then they should have also reset the bout clock from 1:00 to 1:14. When they restarted after the challenge, the bout clock was still at 1:00.

image.thumb.png.a3b68cb9e58ab977f17fbf644fa5f34d.png

Edited by lu_alum

21 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Fair enough.  But you can't deny that Davis went defensive and shut it down for the remainder of the bout.  Also... they didn't add back the 14 seconds to the bout time.  If RT was actually 1:00, then they should have also reset the bout clock from 1:00 to 1:14. When they restarted after the challenge, the bout clock was still at 1:00.

image.thumb.png.a3b68cb9e58ab977f17fbf644fa5f34d.png

Thats fair too, but the score was still legitimately 2-1 in Davis' favor, so Deaugustino was still trailing and likely would have gone for a desparation takedown. Imo Davis is not a lock to AA. I dont think him being ranked as high as 2nd was never really valid, but then again i dont think anyone being ranked highly other than Ramos really held much weight.

The Killkari finish was botched by the ref, but we wont see him this post season. I would not be surprised to see Davis go 2-2 at NCAAs, but I would be equally not surprised to see him in the finals, or anyone else for that matter. The one thing I see in Davis' favor is hes far from a finished product, where as with guys like Barnett, Deaugustino and McKee pretty much are...

I just went back and rewatched Pinto Truax.  I know Pinto has ~20 very impressive seconds every match, and he is ranked highly, but I really could see Truax going 4 for 4 placing 4th at NCAA and Pinto getting bounced in or before the blood round.  Truax was all up in his kitchen the majority of the match, with a variety if attacks to boot.  I really want Pinto to place, but that dude needs a few other moves besides a bulldog underhook and a flash high crotch.  Trent Hidlay already taught the whole 184 weight class how to defend an Underhook.