Down goes Max Dean (again)

Jimmy Cinnabon

Earlier in Max's career at Cornell... he lost in the finals to LEHIGH's Ryan Preisch by fall.

(Yeah, I know Dean wound up AA'ing @ the NCAA's while Preisch missed the podium that season /2018.)

DSC_0172.JPG&height=680&width=1024&type=

DSC_0225.JPG&height=680&width=1024&type=

If you have a Flo subscription check out his match for the '18 EIWA finals... it's not for the feint of heart. 😏

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6056313-eiwa-championships-2018-ncaa-wrestling/videos?playing=6131398

D3

• Fire 2

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

1 minute ago, D3 for LU said:

Earlier in Max's career at Cornell... he lost in the finals to LEHIGH's Ryan Preisch by fall.

(Yeah, I know Dean wound up AA'ing @ the NCAA's while Preisch missed the podium that season /2018.)

If you have a Flo subscription check out his match for the '18 EIWA finals... it's not for the feint of heart. 😏

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6056313-eiwa-championships-2018-ncaa-wrestling/videos?playing=6131398

D3

What in the hell is that ref looking at/for back there?

This feels like a "write the caption," candidate. 

Preisch looks like he's watching another match.

Dean looks like he's asking, "how flat would you like me ref?"

While the ref is getting kicked in the chest and trying to figure out what that stain is on the back of Preisch singlet. Did he sit in something or...should we add an H to that?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, scourge165 said:

It was pretty clear. "While in a Cornell singlet." Gabe only wrestled in a Cornell singlet.

And I'm fine with it as well. Why be in a hurry to start your professional life if you are still capable of competing? Particularly if you're not likely to compete at the next level? I'll bet Gable Stevenson will regret not using his last year at some point. 

Chael said one thing that was absolutely correct. Every Wrestler looks back on their career and they have regrets. If you win 3 NCs, if you finish in the Rd of 12 4 times(by the way, there was Murin and one other Wrestler who had 3 Rd of 12 finishes coming into the year, I can't remember the other one).

So what's it really matter? You start at 23 or 24? You can still get married and have kids or you can still live near campus with your friends and do whatever you want. Real life sucks compared to College! Hanging out, practice, 4-5 hours of class a day, at that point, most of them are taking easier classes. Then you get your own workout in and you hang out with your buddies playing video games or...with the fairer sex(really, the whole point of College...all the rest is a distant 2nd!)

Max Dean is at least 25, married, and has a kid.

10 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Is that a problem? Do you believe he should he not be Wrestling at this point?

Edit-Obviously I mean Wrestling Collegiately.

Why would you assume or even think that is my view?  I don't give a rat's ass what Max Dean does with his life.  Just pointing out that your "start at 23 or 24" has long since passed for him.

2 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

Why would you assume or even think that is my view?  I don't give a rat's ass what Max Dean does with his life.  Just pointing out that your "start at 23 or 24" has long since passed for him.

LOL...would it be long past though? See...if I say you DON'T need to start your life at 23 or 24, that I have no issue with guys using up all the eligibility they have.

Not sure how at the ripe old age of 25, "23 or 24 has long since passed him."

4 hours ago, D3 for LU said:

D3

This reminds me of the time Koll pulled a young simaz out of a match with Varner because it was clear simaz young career would be over another minute on that mat, that day. 

10 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Ok, then YOU put a word to it?

Two matches on the Championship side in which he SHOULD have lost but was given a TD on review that shouldn't have been called a TD and then not having NF called against you when you very clearly gave up 2 NF? 

Pick your non-clownish word...

Yep. It would be clownish if I said that Max Dean was a terrible wrestler - which I did not say and do not think. He’s a great wrestler that happened to benefit greatly from two calls in two separate matches that went his way. I’m not asking him to return his medal, just think that is relevant information to assess his “underperformance” this year.

• Fire 1

25 minutes ago, Gus said:

Yep. It would be clownish if I said that Max Dean was a terrible wrestler - which I did not say and do not think. He’s a great wrestler that happened to benefit greatly from two calls in two separate matches that went his way. I’m not asking him to return his medal, just think that is relevant information to assess his “underperformance” this year.

Yup. And again, I think he should have been an '84 pounder. It was probably rough just constantly Wrestling guys as strong as him who were longer than him. Lanky guys are a pain in the ass. When you're built like Laird, or hell, some of those guys are 6'3, 6'4 and Dean is probably 5'8, major difference. 

I don't remember watching Max Wrestle earlier in his career as much, but I do remember Gabe. Gabe WAS really good on his feet and seemed to get a TD and let a guy go after 10-15 second riding time. Did Max change his style up when he moved up, or was that how he always wrestled?

20 hours ago, D3 for LU said:

D3

If only Iowa fans knew about these a few months ago! They could have been used to partially rebut the screaming Jacob Warner meme!

16 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Yup. And again, I think he should have been an '84 pounder. It was probably rough just constantly Wrestling guys as strong as him who were longer than him. Lanky guys are a pain in the ass. When you're built like Laird, or hell, some of those guys are 6'3, 6'4 and Dean is probably 5'8, major difference. 

I don't remember watching Max Wrestle earlier in his career as much, but I do remember Gabe. Gabe WAS really good on his feet and seemed to get a TD and let a guy go after 10-15 second riding time. Did Max change his style up when he moved up, or was that how he always wrestled?

I think they're just 2 different wrestlers. Gabe definitely was the more dynamic of the two but then again Max was making the most of his assets while wrestling up a weight (supposedly).