Transferring to Iowa - Mistake?

Just now, macwoodfleet said:

I mean, judging by his twitter it was all PSU 

Well. A fact is a fact sooooooo.  It wasn’t Gillian they showed.  Maybe it’s Gilman you’re following on twitter and not Eierman 

3 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Well. A fact is a fact sooooooo.  It wasn’t Gillian they showed.  Maybe it’s Gilman you’re following on twitter and not Eierman 

I'm talking about Gilman? I had no clue you were talking about JE. Surprised he was allowed out of the house. Thought maybe he'd need an ankle monitor.

Just now, macwoodfleet said:

I'm talking about Gilman? I had no clue you were talking about JE. Surprised he was allowed out of the house. Thought maybe he'd need an ankle monitor.

You’re the only one obsessed with Gilman.  

3 minutes ago, macwoodfleet said:

You should read his replies on Twitter. Bitter, bitter Hawk fans. 

No thx. Not a fan of how he Carries  himself. Btw he’s a bronze medalist right?  Not gold. 

Edited by JimmyBT

21 minutes ago, macwoodfleet said:

Bro, you're proving my point. Eierman went to Iowa, Lee stayed at PSU, and the gap closed significantly. 12-4 loss to 6-5 loss to win

No, I'm proving time matters.  And nobody is arguing that Iowa is better than PSU right now.  What, do you want just all the wrestlers to be at PSU and every match is just an intrasquad?  Why do you hate the sport and want it to die?

Check out this Iowa Forum thread started 1030pm last evening.  This guy sums it up quite nicely.

"Iowa Wrestling is Dead"

"The key word is regression. It’s been a theme for years now. Great Freshmen, Sophmore, Junior wrestlers turn in to mince meat by their senior year. Even the GREAT Spencer Lee couldn’t get it done his senior year. Studs turn into duds. Pushing, plodding, and no aggression. No mat skills or awareness.

It’s time for a change."

1 minute ago, Rassling said:

Check out this Iowa Forum thread started 1030pm last evening.  This guy sums it up quite nicely.

"Iowa Wrestling is Dead"

"The key word is regression. It’s been a theme for years now. Great Freshmen, Sophmore, Junior wrestlers turn in to mince meat by their senior year. Even the GREAT Spencer Lee couldn’t get it done his senior year. Studs turn into duds. Pushing, plodding, and no aggression. No mat skills or awareness.

It’s time for a change."

Every forum gets posts like this when their team loses lmao. This proves nothing

• Fire 1

48 minutes ago, hawkguy said:

Every forum gets posts like this when their team loses lmao. This proves nothing

I used to teach this concept to my salespeople known as "212 The Extra Degree" and its applicable in work, sports and life in general. It involves giving it your all no matter what (in the case of wrestling - no matter how tired one may be). How many of the top tier IA guys have truly given it their all over the last few years? From my observations, many have not gone the extra degree to bring home an individual trophy, let alone an extra yard!  The poster is right, its time for a change.

Edited by Rassling

This point was made months ago and, of course, was attacked by the many Hawkeye faithful. The number of national champions produced by the Brands brothers since taking over a stacked team and having initial success says it all. Don't see an individual champion in the line up this year either.

Iowa is sitting pretty as a team, top echelon squad that keeps on rolling. Peaks and valleys aren’t to drastic.  If Iowa wants to build a team with transfers that seems ok with me. Keeps them rolling. Future might bring in top hs recruits , this is the Achilles heel in tje program right now,to keep them rolling. Great strategy by coaches. Lots of teams on Iowas heels, but they seem to stay ahead. Credit coaching where credit is due. Wether they get a champ this year or not. 

What current Iowa wrestler can anyone project to become a future NCAA champion? Is there one?
If I had to take a guess I would say Kueter, but that is more hope than anything.

Don’t forget there are a couple Ferraris in the garage.

2 hours ago, Rassling said:

"Iowa Wrestling is Dead"

It’s time for a change."

That proves what?  

1 hour ago, Pinnacle said:

What current Iowa wrestler can anyone project to become a future NCAA champion? Is there one?

If I had to take a guess I would say Kueter, but that is more hope than anything.

125 could win it this year 

In my humble tater farm opinion.... I think we have seen guys who were not huge recruits coming out of high school get to the R12 low AA level...which is certainly improvement. What we don't see are great recruits or transfers take it to the next level of being an AA to being a national champ. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

2 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Then why would I check it out like you asked everyone to do? 

It’s just an observation I’m sharing with you, that’s all. The chorus of calls is coming from many different angles. 

I don't think the Iowa way works anymore. I think they burn out at the end of the year, because they grind so damn hard during the year. I remember watching St. John fade, and the 125lbr, I cannot remember. Some of these guys, their bodies don't hold up to the grind. I am not a Penn St. fan, by any stretch, but there is something to be said how they do not grind like that, and go into nationals fresh. I mean, shit, Lee got beat at nationals. It seems like a long year for those guys, and when they get to the finish line, they are beat up. They have a ton of talent in the room, that style would not work at a less talented room (IMO). Iowa will continue to be a top tier program, because of history and many want to wrestle for Brands, I just don't see them winning team titles in the near future. 

1 minute ago, Rassling said:

It’s just an observation I’m sharing with you, that’s all. The chorus of calls is coming from many different angles. 

Like it is with most every successful coach in every sport that doesn’t win it all.  It’s disgruntled fans. Big deal. Now if you can show me that all those comments are from boosters and former Iowa wrestlers I’d certainly give some weight. I’d be interested to know what a Dan Gable thinks.