SCOTUS

Big day, a decision either way will have a major impact.........or they just punt it.    Predictions?  I think they punt it.  Seems to be a lot of questions and that I don't think they want to set a precedent on.  BUT....I do find this interesting:   The question everyone in the media is circling around is did Trump commit insurrection?     But the language in section 3 is not exclusive to committing insurrection.  The phrases 'or rebellion' and 'support of' certainly come into play.   There are definitely solid arguments on both sides.  Should be interesting.

Just now, Ohio Elite said:

I've been waiting for this one.

Looks like he will file his immunity case with them as well, I think that one is closed book.   This one though there is a lot of ambiguity, will be real real interesting to see how the court goes.

8 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Looks like he will file his immunity case with them as well, I think that one is closed book.   This one though there is a lot of ambiguity, will be real real interesting to see how the court goes.

Agreed, seems like if they rule in Colorados favor it's gonna open pandoras box.

36 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

almost everybody involved in this case is an ivy leaguer, including trump lmao

The Colorado Supreme Court is composed of four poison ivy leaguers, who all voted to remove Trump from the ballot, and three non-poison ivy leaguers, who all voted against removing Trump from the ballot.  

50 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

The Colorado Supreme Court is composed of four poison ivy leaguers, who all voted to remove Trump from the ballot, and three non-poison ivy leaguers, who all voted against removing Trump from the ballot.  

I thought the vote was 4 to 3 and they were all liberal judges.

Three had the temerity to consider this on the merits rather than hatred of Trump.    Now that is a simplistic answer but I think it fits.    Trump has not been charged with insurrection.   I think that was made clear in the SCOTUS arguments.   Does a state have the legal authority to drop a presidential candidate that otherwise met all qualifications to be on the ballot is another question that was asked.   I think that will play into the decision.   From what I read, it looked like an 8-1 vote on this saying CO cannot do what they did.   But that can change obviously.  

This is a big big question.   There is plenty of opinion on insurrection.   But charges have not been leveled and Trump has not been indicted of it or convicted of it.   As I said earlier, just because a few people say so in CO does not make it so.    Trump was not part of the proceedings so to levy this on him is a gross miscarriage of justice.   He was not able to defend himself so no due process.   I think that will also come up for CO And Maine.  

Now if he had been convicted in federal court of insurrection, 1.  he could be ineligible, 2. would be in prison and not campaigning unless allowed to be free during appeals.  

But this has not happened so this is putting the cart before the horse. 

mspart

I've read a few different pieces recapping today. (None of them quite match the description weighing in here but none the less).  It appeared to me at least from what I read, SCOUTS biggest concern to be one state having such a major impact on what other states can do with their elections.  If they ruled in favor of Colorado, that pretty much makes it law of the land.  If they rule against Colorado, that sets a precedent should there be future incidents.

Not anything I'm real confident in but I got the feeling of a punt, SCOTUS won't want to rule against State Sovereignty, and siding with state sovereignty is the easiest way for them to avoid one state's case deciding, in either direction, for the other 49 states in the nation.  Just a hunch, way open to be wrong.

PS-Section 3 is not exclusive to physically committing insurrection (if you believe his actions were not that of insurrection).  There are other elements that disqualify under section 3.

If you listen to the hearing, you’ll hear eight of the justices unravel every stance that the Kolorado Klan takes.  Kavanaugh asked for a definition of insurrection and who was eligible to decide someone was guilty.  
 They questioned the chaos of finding in Kolorado’s favor, having other states remove other names, those cases being challenged, and winding up having to take fifty cases to the Supreme Court every election.

Jackson Brown blew him up on why they didn’t just say the restriction applied to the president if that’s what they meant.
 Mostly it seemed, they weren’t swallowing that it was self executing and didn’t require conviction at trial, or that states had any role in enforcing Section 3.  
 They made it clear that given the restriction’s ability to be removed by Congress, it was unlike the age and natural born qualifications for president. 
They kicked the smell out of this case. 

7 hours ago, Offthemat said:

If you listen to the hearing, you’ll hear eight of the justices unravel every stance that the Kolorado Klan takes.  Kavanaugh asked for a definition of insurrection and who was eligible to decide someone was guilty.  
 They questioned the chaos of finding in Kolorado’s favor, having other states remove other names, those cases being challenged, and winding up having to take fifty cases to the Supreme Court every election.

Jackson Brown blew him up on why they didn’t just say the restriction applied to the president if that’s what they meant.
 Mostly it seemed, they weren’t swallowing that it was self executing and didn’t require conviction at trial, or that states had any role in enforcing Section 3.  
 They made it clear that given the restriction’s ability to be removed by Congress, it was unlike the age and natural born qualifications for president. 
They kicked the smell out of this case. 

Where can one listen?

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2024 at 7:13 AM, Ohio Elite said:

Agreed, seems like if they rule in Colorados favor it's gonna open pandoras box.

With regards to what? If you rebel against the country after swearing to protect it, then you can't be president? Can't see too many people getting popped for this particular violation. Unless the shaman straightens up and flies right. 

But maybe you mean that states run by a certain party, that has abandoned rationality altogether, will arbitrarily pull candidates of another party from the ballot. In violation of the oath, they themselves swore.  Ya. I can see that happening. And the supreme courts of those states upholding it. Then maybe, just maybe, the howler monkey contingent of this SCOTUS will uphold them too. Thus, turning us into a banana republic. Because conservatives, will take their ball and go home and burn it all to the ground because they can't win at a fair game.