My top program coaches

CoachC

My top program coaches from each conference. Whether they run the day to day practice or just the CEO, here are the coaches who get the most out of their teams year in and year out.  This is NOT a team ranking for this year, it's year in and year out.

ACC: NC State's Pat Pop *He may have the best culture in the country!

Big 10: Penn State's Cael Sanderson *Simply the best for a long time now.

Big 12: Missouri's Brian Smith. * I know, I left the legend off, but this Smith gets it done NOW.

EIWA: Cornell's Mike Grey * Is he riding Koll's wave? Idk, but I think he is trending in the right direction!

PAC 12: Oregon State's Chris Pendleton * I know he hasn't done it as long as the others, but he seems on the right track!

So Con: Appalachian State's JohnMark Bentley * He may do more with less than anyone in the country!

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Brian smith might be the most underrated coach. 

He is an above average coach. 

In 26 years he has 0 Team titles. 2 podium finishes(3rd and 4th) and 6 wrestlers win individual titles.  Or is it 7?  I'd have to check.  

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, WildTurk said:

In 26 years he has 0 Team titles. 2 podium finishes(3rd and 4th) and 6 wrestlers win individual titles.  Or is it 7?  I'd have to check.  

Because his school is never a real threat, nobody hates him and everybody loves him.  He's been really good for a really long time, and that's pretty impressive and makes no enemies.

• Fire 3

13 hours ago, CoachC said:

My top program coaches from each conference. Whether they run the day to day practice or just the CEO, here are the coaches who get the most out of their teams year in and year out.  This is NOT a team ranking for this year, it's year in and year out.

Big 12: Missouri's Brian Smith. * I know, I left the legend off, but this Smith gets it done NOW.

EIWA: Cornell's Mike Grey * Is he riding Koll's wave? Idk, but I think he is trending in the right direction!

PAC 12: Oregon State's Chris Pendleton * I know he hasn't done it as long as the others, but he seems on the right track!

So Con: Appalachian State's JohnMark Bentley * He may do more with less than anyone in the country!

Big 12 = Mark Branch 

• Haha 1

Because his school is never a real threat, nobody hates him and everybody loves him.  He's been really good for a really long time, and that's pretty impressive and makes no enemies.
Threat to what or who? In the last 10+ years, only Iowa twice (which includes Covid year) and Ohio State once have been threats to win the team title over PSU.

Mizzou has become a perennial top 10 team under Smith while rarely pulling in a blue chipper. He has guys consistently outperforming their recruiting status. If anything, he needs to consistently bring in more top recruits to be consistently in the running for a team trophy, but he is absolutely one of the best and most consistent coaches.
  • Fire 1

15 hours ago, CoachC said:

Give me John Smith for the Big 12 all day long. He is a legend of the sport and has the Cowboys trending back in the right direction. Smith has placed outside of the top 10 only 4 times since he took over the reigns in 1992 - 32 years ago! He also has had 5 NCAA Team titles, 4 NCAA runner up finishes and an additional 12 top 5 finishes. 

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Is Jon Smith Crooham's coach?

Nope, it is Ray Stevens. He recruits using his relationships with a famous singer.

He is going to go after the Religious guys like Cael does.

He is great at recruiting on the International circuits too.

In case some of you don't know he is agreat experience with Wrestling.

This is why he also coaches Stevenson.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

19 hours ago, CoachC said:

Agree with your list except for the Pac-12. Little Rock's coach is the best in that conference right now. They just beat OSU at OSU and they've only been D1 for 4 years or so. 

5 hours ago, Crotalus said:

Mizzou has become a perennial top 10 team under Smith while rarely pulling in a blue chipper. He has guys consistently outperforming their recruiting status. If anything, he needs to consistently bring in more top recruits to be consistently in the running for a team trophy, but he is absolutely one of the best and most consistent coaches.

And without bringing in transfers like some coaches have to do.  His guys are developed, not poached.

Edited by KCMO2
  • Fire 1

17 hours ago, WildTurk said:

you imply he's not relevant because he doesn't have a bunch of trophies, but do the thought experiment of what college wrestling is like if missouri sucks. If you were gonna knock him it'd be for being a mediocre recruiter, you can't knock him for what he does with what he has.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

6 hours ago, Crotalus said:

Threat to what or who? In the last 10+ years, only Iowa twice (which includes Covid year) and Ohio State once have been threats to win the team title over PSU.

I fully agree.  He is absolutely one of the best and most consistent coaches.  Top 10 for sure, maybe top 5.  That's awesome.  That's why I said he's been really good for a really long time.  

But it's not the kind of thing that makes opposing teams resent you.  Especially when you're a conference nomad and you don't get hated even when you win tons of conference titles.  

He's a great coach.  But nobody hates him or looks for reasons to tear him down, because nobody is in direct competition with him or his team.  Iowa and tOSU and OSU and Michigan are busy hating PSU (or residually hating Iowa or even OSU).  ACC schools are hating each other.  ASU and Stanford or Oregon St probably hate each other a bit.  Cornell and Lehigh.  But nobody hates Mizzou wrestling.  They're just a very good team worthy or respect, but nobody is worried about them.  Same with their coach.  So he gets praised all the time because nobody minds giving him his due.