Bono at Wisconsin

1 hour ago, BuckyBadger said:

Would any DI program, not just Wisconsin, hire a new coach that has no recent experience coaching in college, and also working with administrators in a college athletic department?

41 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

Same issue with Max, he has no college coaching experience (or if he does it’s not recent), and no experience dealing with athletic department admin issues, alumni fundraising, etc. I just don’t see UW hiring either of them. But I’d be happy to be wrong.

Worked just fine for Virginia Tech with Dresser.

I think the "working with administrators" issue is way overblown.  It's not that complicated.  You hire an experienced assistant and get somebody from athletics compliance to work closely with the new staff.  

As far as fundraising goes, a new coach with some pop that brings results, and specifically one that's a local legend, is going to have a lot easier time raising funds for facilities and NIL than a lame duck coach that looks like he may be on his way out in a few years. 

27 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Bono isn't well-liked in many circles but it's not like he is doing a terrible job on the recruiting scene. Now to steal your lunch and eat it in front of you:

PSU gets whoever they want. That's just the way the world works and there is nothing any of us can do about it. They're Thanos and they are inevitable. That's why Messenbrink transferred there and Dake moved there and they win everything all the freaking time.

Missouri literally created the Askren pipeline and preaches our now-commonplace legpass style that a long time ago used to be called "junky funk" and put each other on the map. Askren could have been born in any state and you're having this same argument about "XX State University isn't landing in-state AWA recruits". Breaking up a very fruitful 20 year relationship is a very difficult thing to do unless you're a divorce attorney.

Minnesota got Hopke because there isn't a better room for heavyweights. He has big aspirations so why would he choose anywhere but the best opportunity for himself? 

PSU, fine.  

The point about Mizzou is an argument against Wisconsin's staff, not for it.  They had their opportunity to establish a pipeline from AWA and it failed miserably.  

Minnesota didn't just nab Hopke, they also got Millard and Duchateau. 

6 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

Worked just fine for Virginia Tech with Dresser.

I think the "working with administrators" issue is way overblown.  It's not that complicated.  You hire an experienced assistant and get somebody from athletics compliance to work closely with the new staff.  

As far as fundraising goes, a new coach with some pop that brings results, and specifically one that's a local legend, is going to have a lot easier time raising funds for facilities and NIL than a lame duck coach that looks like he may be on his way out in a few years. 

I ask this in all sincerity:  Do you work in higher education?  Because your stance on "working with administrators" is actually reasonable and makes sense.  But that isn't the current reality in higher education.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

52 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

Same issue with Max, he has no college coaching experience (or if he does it’s not recent), and no experience dealing with athletic department admin issues, alumni fundraising, etc. I just don’t see UW hiring either of them. But I’d be happy to be wrong.

Worked for Rutgers , hired Goodale out of high school to a team that was recruiting non nj state qualifers and had about 8 fans at every dual and he instantly had a top 5 recruiting class and changed the program completely and the Askrens are way more known and have much higher accolades and have worked with college kids before

18 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Wisconsin produces AAs regularly. Purdon't just had their first AA in like thirty years in 2023 and should be glad to be considered Tier 4. If anything, they should swap with Northwestern who regularly produces AAs and the occasional champion.

Chris Fleeger was an AA for Purdon't back in 2006. But I would say that your assessment was good enough for government work. They do have a cool looking mat though. 

Cashe Quiroga made the semis for Purdue in 2010. 

Edited by Winners Circle

2 hours ago, BuckyBadger said:

Would any DI program, not just Wisconsin, hire a new coach that has no recent experience coaching in college, and also working with administrators in a college athletic department?

This is a message board where Kyle Dake/David Taylor/JB are suggested for every college opening including the not vacant Iowa job.   Your logic and reason have no place here. 

The no brainer, imo, is Tony Ramos.  Let him be close to home/Izzy/ recruit Chicagoland.  I imagine he can build a relationship with Askrens and they don't have to deal with Boosters/Admins, etc. 

15 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Hypothetically speaking let’s say Bono gets fired, Askren, Ben or Max are hired. How long would it take for them to be Tier 2 behind PSU? 2/3 recruiting cycles? How many former AWA wrestlers hit the portal to comeback home? As stated before by others who knows if the Askrens even want to coach college. We know Ben more so than Max like the freedom to do things their way. But if I’m the Wisconsin AD, I’m making strong push. Those 2/3 years of mediocrity, what they are now,  have to be worth it if flips the program around. 

It's a great question.  I can't imagine any former AWA would be off the table. I don't think KOT is going anywhere but if Ben called and asked him, it's probably not a hard no. 

4 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

It's a great question.  I can't imagine any former AWA would be off the table. I don't think KOT is going anywhere but if Ben called and asked him, it's probably not a hard no. 

That's a big "if", I think Askren respects the Missouri program too much.

• Fire 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

Just now, jchapman said:

That's a big "if", I think Askren respects the Missouri program too much.

I agree.  I don't think he would even call, but I also don't think he would get/accept the job so if we are going to play in hypotheticals, lets at least have some fun with it.

• Fire 1

On WIWrestles High School P4P rankings (Rokfin) of the top 15 kids 5 are committed to Minnesota, 3 to Missouri, 2 to Penn State, and the remaining 5 are uncommitted. Mostly because they’re sophomores.

Wisconsin has two in state commits, from #18 and #41.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hès done a very poor job recruiting WI, his biggest recruiting win has been Amos and he's from WV, and quite frankly he has been a major disappointment. Rumblings I've heard BA to the portal after his OR. 

I think it's time for a change,

UW AD Chris McIntosh has shown little tolerance for failure. I'm hoping the fact that Mac is a former state champ wrestler, he has a clock on Bono turning it around. If he was willing to fire Paul Cryst, Chris Bono is not bullet proof. 

• Fire 2

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Bono isn't well-liked in many circles but it's not like he is doing a terrible job on the recruiting scene. Now to steal your lunch and eat it in front of you:

PSU gets whoever they want. That's just the way the world works and there is nothing any of us can do about it. They're Thanos and they are inevitable. That's why Messenbrink transferred there and Dake moved there and they win everything all the freaking time.

Missouri literally created the Askren pipeline and preaches our now-commonplace legpass style that a long time ago used to be called "junky funk" and put each other on the map. Askren could have been born in any state and you're having this same argument about "XX State University isn't landing in-state AWA recruits". Breaking up a very fruitful 20 year relationship is a very difficult thing to do unless you're a divorce attorney.

Minnesota got Hopke because there isn't a better room for heavyweights. He has big aspirations so why would he choose anywhere but the best opportunity for himself? 

Go look up the number of Wisconsin kids on Minnesotas current roster and then the number that are incoming.  

11 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Go look up the number of Wisconsin kids on Minnesotas current roster and then the number that are incoming.  

But I keep reading on here that Minnesota is terrible and Eggum needs to be fired yesterday. Quite the conundrum it sounds like.

i am an idiot on the internet

1 minute ago, bnwtwg said:

But I keep reading on here that Minnesota is terrible and Eggum needs to be fired yesterday. Quite the conundrum it sounds like.

It actually reinforces the fact of how bad bono is doing 

3 hours ago, jchapman said:

I ask this in all sincerity:  Do you work in higher education?  Because your stance on "working with administrators" is actually reasonable and makes sense.  But that isn't the current reality in higher education.

You're acting like "administration" is some sort of black box that can't be understood.  It's really not that complex. 

Coaches without direct experience running programs at the collegiate wrestling level have been hired in the past, and many of them have had success.  This isn't a phenomenon unique to wrestling.   

34 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

It actually reinforces the fact of how bad bono is doing 

But if Eggum should be canned because he isn't bringing in good recruits

+

Bono is not bringing in recruits that would otherwise not grow into anything

=

Bono isn't missing out

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

But if Eggum should be canned because he isn't bringing in good recruits

+

Bono is not bringing in recruits that would otherwise not grow into anything

=

Bono isn't missing out

He’s losing his home state kids that are better than what he’s keeping.  Pretty simple that Bono is brutal. Doesn’t mean Minnesota is anything but better than Wisconsin.  Pretty simple that both could go. 🤦‍♂️ 

Edited by JimmyBT

28 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

He’s losing his home state kids that are better than what he’s keeping.  Pretty simple that Bono is brutal. Doesn’t mean Minnesota is anything but better than Wisconsin.  Pretty simple that both could go. 🤦‍♂️ 

Both are doing a good job and should stay, even if one is a raging mega boner with super little man syndrome.

Just now, bnwtwg said:

Both are doing a good job and should stay, even if one is a raging mega boner with super little man syndrome.

Sorry you’re right. i forget the participation ribbon society that we are now living in Where good means keep them forever.   Enjoy the mediocrity 

4 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Sorry you’re right. i forget the participation ribbon society that we are now living in Where good means keep them forever.   Enjoy the mediocrity 

I didn't say that but go off king