Ohio State vs Michigan predictions

I would like to point this out, per Wrestlestat...

2023 - #6 Ohio State over #9 Michigan 23 - 15
2022 - #3 Michigan over #13 Ohio State 29 - 8
2021 - #7 Michigan over #11 Ohio State 18 - 16
2020 - #21 Michigan and #3 Ohio State Did Not Compete
2019 - #4 Michigan over #5 Ohio State 19 - 17
2018 - #2 Ohio State over #3 Michigan 18 - 15
2017 - #17 Michigan and #2 Ohio State Did Not Compete
2016 - #11 Michigan over #3 Ohio State 21 - 11
2015 - #5 Ohio State over #14 Michigan 25 - 15
2014 - #9 Michigan over #10 Ohio State 18 - 17

Of the eight times they have wrestled in the last ten years, only once has the lower rated (R A T E D) team won.

Ohio State would have been favored in four to Michigan's four, however Michigan holds a 5W-3L record in those eight duals and the higher rated, or favorite, is 7W-1L in that same span.

Michigan is currently 'ranked' #8 and Ohio State is 'ranked' #11.

I felt my breakdown was rather unbiased for how biased I could have been and it has Michigan comfortably winning, still.  Mind you, were Ohio State able to flip 149, 165, 174, 184, and 285 I would be surprised... but I wouldn't be surprised to see them flip a couple/few of them.  They are tough matches and it is a rivalry dual.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

20 hours ago, flyingcement said:

@MPhillips and @Ohio Elite vs @nhs67

125: Michael DeAugustino dec Brendan McCrone 3-0

133: Nick Bouzakis dec Dylan Ragusin 3-3

141: Jesse Mendez dec Sergio Lemley 6-3

149: Austin Gomez dec Dylan D'Emilio 6-6

157: Will Lewan dec Isaac Wilcox 9-6

165: Cam Amine dec Bryce Hepner 12-6

174: Rocco Welsh dec Shane Griffith 12-9

184: Jaden Bullock dec Seth Shumate 15-9

197: Luke Geog major Bobby Striggow 15-11

285: Lucas Davison dec Nick Feldman 18-11

Fly says Michigan so feel like I should go with Ohioe State.  Will Gomez even be there, what ducks will be sitting out on the pond?  I dislike OhSt almost as much as Michicheat ... but I'll take OSUe in a nail biter.  

• Fire 3

20 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I would like to point this out, per Wrestlestat...

2023 - #6 Ohio State over #9 Michigan 23 - 15
2022 - #3 Michigan over #13 Ohio State 29 - 8
2021 - #7 Michigan over #11 Ohio State 18 - 16
2020 - #21 Michigan and #3 Ohio State Did Not Compete
2019 - #4 Michigan over #5 Ohio State 19 - 17
2018 - #2 Ohio State over #3 Michigan 18 - 15
2017 - #17 Michigan and #2 Ohio State Did Not Compete
2016 - #11 Michigan over #3 Ohio State 21 - 11
2015 - #5 Ohio State over #14 Michigan 25 - 15
2014 - #9 Michigan over #10 Ohio State 18 - 17

Of the eight times they have wrestled in the last ten years, only once has the lower rated (R A T E D) team won.

Ohio State would have been favored in four to Michigan's four, however Michigan holds a 5W-3L record in those eight duals and the higher rated, or favorite, is 7W-1L in that same span.

Michigan is currently 'ranked' #8 and Ohio State is 'ranked' #11.

I felt my breakdown was rather unbiased for how biased I could have been and it has Michigan comfortably winning, still.  Mind you, were Ohio State able to flip 149, 165, 174, 184, and 285 I would be surprised... but I wouldn't be surprised to see them flip a couple/few of them.  They are tough matches and it is a rivalry dual.

Nice statistics but has Michigan ever beaten Ohio St in the same year they lost to Jackrabbits? SmartSelect_20240123-141911_Chrome.jpg.2fc22f848810bde36214d5f39675e25f.jpg  

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, ionel said:

I dislike OhSt almost as much as Michicheat

I don't get why you (or anyone really) would dislike OSU wrestling teams. The football part I can wrap my head around. I can't think of a wrestling team I dislike, and PSU has broken my heart numerous times...:classic_mellow:

3 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I don't get why you (or anyone really) would dislike OSU wrestling teams. The football part I can wrap my head around. I can't think of a wrestling team I dislike, and PSU has broken my heart numerous times...:classic_mellow:

Ok ... Ok ... I don't actually dislike them it just sounded better when constructing my argument.  😉 if fly had guaranteed a Michigan win it would've been easier to pick OSUe.  🙂

Edited by ionel
  • Haha 1

I keep looking at it, you just can't find the weights that tOSU could reasonbly turn around to make it a dual. 133? 285? 174? I don't see it. Demilio is tough, maybe gomez throws himself on his back, or Demileo wrestles a really controlled match and waits on gomez to make mistakes?

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

7 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I keep looking at it, you just can't find the weights that tOSU could reasonably turn around to make it a dual.

Stop looking. There aren't (enough) any...

Edited by MPhillips
Clarity

20 hours ago, ionel said:

How did that 'old' work for him against Penn St's 13 yr old?  Please tell me he shaved after that match.  🙂

Despite the baby face, Braeden Davis is certainly not in a boy's body. As a matter of fact, his strength is impressive. He gave DeAug fits with his control of his arm much of the time they were standing. In addition, his riding was incredible; he was a real backpack, and DeAug was VERY active from the bottom. He finally got his escape after Davis rode him for 1:45 of the second period. It's good to finally see this young man getting the respect he deserves. Let's see how he does against Ayala. Barn burner for sure. 

Lemley vs Mendez.  These two are from the same area in IN.  I'm 100% certain they have trained together at some point in their lives.  There is likely going to be some familiarity there, but I think Mendez wins comfortably.  No idea if there will be bonus or not.  Lemley is very good, but not sure he's quite ready to knock off Mendez.

23 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I keep looking at it, you just can't find the weights that tOSU could reasonbly turn around to make it a dual. 133? 285? 174? I don't see it. Demilio is tough, maybe gomez throws himself on his back, or Demileo wrestles a really controlled match and waits on gomez to make mistakes?

I don't think it's likely Ohio State wins, but there are plenty of individual matches they could reasonably turn around.

- Ragusin has wrestled very well this year, but Bouzakis certainly has the firepower to beat him. 

- I don't like the Gomez matchup for D'Emilio, style wise, but D'Emilio tends to build throughout the match and if Gomez doesn't open a big lead early there's a chance DD could nab a win late in the 3rd. 

- Lewan wrestles every match to a 1 or 2 point decision in either direction. 

- Amine is wrestling poorly, and Hepner beat him last year when Amine was having a similar run of bad form.  

- Bullock is having a nice year but isn't a guy you can just pencil in for W's against slightly inferior competition. 

- Davison is a definite favorite but Feldman seems to be getting back on track after a dreadful December.  

Again, I'm not predicting an upset, but there are plenty of opportunities here to turn the dual on its head. It's also in Columbus and will be a sell out in a loud venue. 

Edited by steamboat_charlie
  • Fire 3

On 1/22/2024 at 7:53 PM, flyingcement said:

@MPhillips and @Ohio Elite vs @nhs67

125: Michael DeAugustino dec Brendan McCrone 3-0

133: Nick Bouzakis dec Dylan Ragusin 3-3

141: Jesse Mendez dec Sergio Lemley 6-3

149: Austin Gomez dec Dylan D'Emilio 6-6

157: Will Lewan dec Isaac Wilcox 9-6

165: Cam Amine dec Bryce Hepner 12-6

174: Rocco Welsh dec Shane Griffith 12-9

184: Jaden Bullock dec Seth Shumate 15-9

197: Luke Geog major Bobby Striggow 15-11

285: Lucas Davison dec Nick Feldman 18-11

Check your teamscore after 197....looks like you only gave OSU 12 pts. for a major

Just now, Fadzaev2 said:

Check your teamscore after 197....looks like you only gave OSU 12 pts. for a major

You're right.  It's too late to edit l, but my rationalization for my mistake is that they get two team points deducted after that match due to excessive and violent celebrations 💥

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, flyingcement said:

You're right.  It's too late to edit l, but my rationalization for my mistake is that they get two team points deducted after that match due to excessive and violent celebrations 💥

Way to pull that one off of your wristband!!!💥💥

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fadzaev2 said:

Check his post and thread title. He said nothing about OSU, fly knows his wrestling ... math - not so much.  

3 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

And your typing skills...:classic_dry:

I've never applied for a secretarial position. 

Plus I'm sitting at a bar after a long drive heading for a wrestling meet poking one letter at a time on a Note 9 keyboard, there's no IBM Selectric in sight.  🤨

Edited by ionel