Michigan PSU, sorry couldn't find old topic.

Just now, TylerDurden said:

On that note, can we talk about how passive Michigan was? I realize PSU is really good - I even suggested they could shut Michigan out if they wrestled all their guys, and they damn near did anyway - but in the majority of matches it felt like we were watching paint dry because the Michigan guy was blocking and refusing to engage. 

Ragusin and Lemley actually wrestled to win and you can probably include Bullock, but man, the rest weren't doing much even when their corner was begging them to try something. 

Rivera was being kind to the Wolverines, IMO. 

Lewan, DeAugustino and Amine kinda always wrestle like that though.  Thought we’d see more from Griffith though

5 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

but in the majority of matches it felt like we were watching paint dry because the Michigan guy was blocking and refusing to engage

PSU lives on re-attacks.  Way too much hate on the board for the UMich wrestlers.  

4 hours ago, Rassling said:

Mesenbrink is in the conversation for a title imo

KOT is tailor-made to beat Messenbrink.  

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

30 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

On that note, can we talk about how passive Michigan was? I realize PSU is really good - I even suggested they could shut Michigan out if they wrestled all their guys, and they damn near did anyway - but in the majority of matches it felt like we were watching paint dry because the Michigan guy was blocking and refusing to engage. 

Ragusin and Lemley actually wrestled to win and you can probably include Bullock, but man, the rest weren't doing much even when their corner was begging them to try something. 

Michigan's lack of intensity coupled with reluctance to actually wrestle was startling.  I hope Coach is asking himself questions on how not to produce that product again.  Because that was gross...

• Fire 2

10 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Michigan's lack of intensity coupled with reluctance to actually wrestle was startling.  I hope Coach is asking himself questions on how not to produce that product again.  Because that was gross...

Starocci showed a bit of reluctance also, no? 

3 minutes ago, ionel said:

Starocci showed a bit of reluctance also, no? 

Sure..if it was his decision...but let's reference the product on the mat.  Because I wanted to watch wrestling.  Star or not.  And his backup almost picked up the W. I was shocked by the product UM had on the mat last night. 

1 hour ago, buckshot said:

At best he's a neutral-colored horse. KOT has beaten Amine 5-3 and 6-0 which up until last night was as much as anybody could do against him. What MM did to him showed that he's on another level. It's even crazier when you consider that it wasn't really as close as the 12-1 scoreline made it out to be, if Rivera called it correctly MM would have stalled him out. 

whoosh

i am an idiot on the internet

48 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

PSU lives on re-attacks.  Way too much hate on the board for the UMich wrestlers.  

I do not hate Michigan, I actually think they have a nice team, but the majority of their guys didn't attempt anything resembling an offensive move last night. 

PSU smoked them last night, and it wasn't because of reattacks. You can't reattack a collar tie. 

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TylerDurden said:

but the majority of their guys didn't attempt anything resembling an offensive move last night. 

When you have opponents that excel at reattack your offensive output will be less and more calculated 

1 hour ago, TylerDurden said:

PSU smoked them last night, and it wasn't because of reattacks. You can't reattack a collar tie. 

Hand fighting and collar ties slow the match down on purpose to try and set up cleaner attacks and avoid scrambles and reattacks.  Something the PSU wrestlers excel at.  Lower offensive output from UMich wrestlers had more to do with how good their opponents are and less to do with UMich wrestlers not showing up 

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

10 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

When you have opponents that excel at reattack your offensive output will be less and more calculated 

Hand fighting and collar ties slow the match down on purpose to try and set up cleaner attacks and avoid scrambles and reattacks.  Something the PSU wrestlers excel at.  Lower offensive output from UMich wrestlers had more to do with how good their opponents are and less to do with UMich wrestlers not showing up 

No. thanks...

4 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

The problem with this take is that the majority of Michigan wrestlers did not attempt attacks, so it's pretty tough to argue that they used the position as any sort of setup. As a stall, sure. 

Maybe they had a bad night. Maybe they were scared of their opponent's abilities. Maybe they don't trust their ability to get a takedown.

I don't really know what the rationale was for that approach, but whatever it was, it definitely wasn't successful. 

• Fire 1

On 1/20/2024 at 10:54 AM, TylerDurden said:

I totally agree. It's even funnier when you look at the interview Amine gave to Flo before the dual, he went on and on about how he was done being the conservative guy who always got hit for stalling. He said from now on he was going to open up his offense. 

Apparently his offense consists of biting people.