Buchanan in the portal

WrestlingFan89

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Yes - enter beginning  in August (or date the year starts) up to the last day of the Spring window for wrestling. However, it does not make clear if you can actually be eligible. that season. I have heard 2nd semester eligibility, but have never seen it in writing. Just like everything going on with the NCAA the last 5 years, nothing is clear.  

Sorry I missed this the first time where the post-grad transfer window is spelled out:

13.1.1.3.2 Notification of Transfer -- Postgraduate Student-Athletes. A student-athlete who will participate as a postgraduate student at another institution following the next regular academic term or academic year (two semesters/three quarters) may initiate the notification of transfer process at any time between October 1 and the end of the final period specified for the applicable sport in Bylaw 13.1.1.3.1 by providing the student-athlete's institution with a written notification of transfer and completing an educational module related to transferring. The student-athlete's institution shall enter the student-athlete's information into the national transfer database within two business days of receipt of a written notification of transfer from the student-athlete or receipt of confirmation of the student-athlete's completion of the educational module, whichever occurs later. (Adopted: 9/21/22, Revised: 4/18/24, 6/26/24)

Then there is this about eligibility for post-grad:

14.6.1 Competition in Year of Transfer. A postgraduate student-athlete who initially enrolls at the certifying institution after the conclusion of the first term of the academic year shall not be eligible for competition in which the student-athlete's performance could be used for NCAA championship qualification or consideration if the student-athlete participated in competition at the previous four-year institution in the same sport in which the student-athlete's performance could have been used for NCAA championship qualification or consideration. (Revised: 4/18/24)

• Bob 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Am I the only one that is dumber for trying to understand transfers and grad transfers? Can any prominent wrestling persona contact the NCAA and have a representative come on a podcast or similar and explain transfer rules like we are all in the 5th grade? Is a definitive answer and understanding too much to ask?

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

11 hours ago, Idaho said:

Yes - enter beginning  in August (or date the year starts) up to the last day of the Spring window for wrestling. However, it does not make clear if you can actually be eligible. that season. I have heard 2nd semester eligibility, but have never seen it in writing. Just like everything going on with the NCAA the last 5 years, nothing is clear.  

NCAA bylaw 14.5.5.2 allows a wrestler to compete in the spring as long as they didn’t compete for the previous institution during the fall. 

• Potato 1

4 hours ago, Camel Wrestling Fan said:

Am I the only one that is dumber for trying to understand transfers and grad transfers? Can any prominent wrestling persona contact the NCAA and have a representative come on a podcast or similar and explain transfer rules like we are all in the 5th grade? Is a definitive answer and understanding too much to ask?

What’s your list of questions left? I used to interpret NCAA rules from time to time. 

3 hours ago, cowcards said:

What’s your list of questions left? I used to interpret NCAA rules from time to time. 

I have one:  why do they have rules if they won't enforce them?  

1 hour ago, ionel said:

I have one:  why do they have rules if they won't enforce them?  

The same reasons any organization or government has rules that they don't enforce. They have to in case they ever feel like it and it gives the appearance that they power/control and everything is fair. 

• Bob 1

4 hours ago, cowcards said:

NCAA bylaw 14.5.5.2 allows a wrestler to compete in the spring as long as they didn’t compete for the previous institution during the fall. 

Good find!

Follow up: can they attend a different institution in the Fall semester and transfer for Spring - or do they also have to be enrolled at the institution in the fall they will be competing for in the Spring?  EX. if Buchanan enrolls and attends Oklahoma  (but doesn't compete) this Fall, but is in the portal as a grad, can he transfer at Spring to complete at Iowa  OR does he have to be at Iowa in the Fall to complete in Spring? 

Edited by Idaho

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

38 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Good find!

Follow up: can they attend a different institution in the Fall semester and transfer for Spring - or do they also have to be enrolled at the institution in the fall they will be competing for in the Spring?  EX. if Buchanan enrolls and attends Oklahoma  (but doesn't compete) this Fall, but is in the portal as a grad, can he transfer at Spring to complete at Iowa  OR does he have to be at Iowa in the Fall to complete in Spring? 

He doesn’t have to be at the same institution. He can be at Oklahoma and transfer to Iowa and compete. 

• Fire 1
  • Potato 1

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

I'm really grateful for you guys helping me understand how this is happening

props @cowcards for explanations.... It's not like the NCAA hasn't  been filled with questions, vague policy and flip flopping for the last 5 years. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐