Dual viewership

I mean…. what do we expect? Wrestling is never going to be the biggest sport for spectators, getting wrestling on BTN and ESPNU is great and 34k/66k people got to watch the meets because of that. 

Are we suppose to cry that these meets didn’t pull Super Bowl numbers? Obviously it didn’t and never will. 

Everyone in wrestling bitches about the sport not being big enough or not being this or that. Just find a way to enjoy it, add value, and contribute. That’s all we can do for the sport we love, wrestling isn’t going anywhere. 

• Fire 2

6 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Not great.  Although I do find it interesting when Pyles never says anything when Askren always talks about all the matches he watched on illegal YouTube streams…

2 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

I mean…. what do we expect? Wrestling is never going to be the biggest sport for spectators, getting wrestling on BTN and ESPNU is great and 34k/66k people got to watch the meets because of that. 

Are we suppose to cry that these meets didn’t pull Super Bowl numbers? Obviously it didn’t and never will. 

Everyone in wrestling bitches about the sport not being big enough or not being this or that. Just find a way to enjoy it, add value, and contribute. That’s all we can do for the sport we love, wrestling isn’t going anywhere. 

And how many watched later?

I've worked in TV audience research and measurement for ~30 years.

No one tunes into BTN or ESPNU for anything but college football, and even then the best matchups will have 1/10th of the audience of the crappiest game on ESPN 2 and 1/100th if the crappiest game on ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, or ESPN.

Be happy that theses networks are re-learning that live sports content beats talk shows and whatever the heck these networks rerun when they're not showing live games and that wrestling is getting a larger platform.

But, be ready to scrutinize the audiences for our sport when meets or tournament finals are on ESPN or ESPN 2. That's when we can have that apples to apples comparison with the other sports fighting for more media coverage.

• Fire 2

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

8 minutes ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

Scripted entertainment of linear TV sees significant viewing on a delayed basis, but delayed viewing of live sports is a bit of a myth.

If I "record" the event and watch it later on YouTube TV, am I included in the 34K?  Just curious how that is determined.

11 minutes ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

I've worked in TV audience research and measurement for ~30 years.

No one tunes into BTN or ESPNU for anything but college football, and even then the best matchups will have 1/10th of the audience of the crappiest game on ESPN 2 and 1/100th if the crappiest game on ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, or ESPN.

Be happy that theses networks are re-learning that live sports content beats talk shows and whatever the heck these networks rerun when they're not showing live games and that wrestling is getting a larger platform.

But, be ready to scrutinize the audiences for our sport when meets or tournament finals are on ESPN or ESPN 2. That's when we can have that apples to apples comparison with the other sports fighting for more media coverage.

That’s what I’m saying, I’m 25 and don’t know how to access BTN and ESPNU except when I’m back home on my parents TV bc they still have cable. Everything has gone to streaming, I would easily pay a subscription for college duals and many others would as well, I watched Cal Baptist vs ISU bc it was on flo. It’s more about reaching the right people. 

2 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

That’s what I’m saying, I’m 25 and don’t know how to access BTN and ESPNU except when I’m back home on my parents TV bc they still have cable. Everything has gone to streaming, I would easily pay a subscription for college duals and many others would as well, I watched Cal Baptist vs ISU bc it was on flo. It’s more about reaching the right people. 

Do you have a smart phone, have you ever used or installed an app on your phone?  😉

Just now, Nittany said:

Oh, and I disagree that no one tunes in to BTN or ESPNU for anything but college football.  I don't watch college football but will tune in for a college wrestling match (only).

The only thing I ever watch on BTN is college wrestling. 

• Fire 4

13 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

It just seems like a lot, I already consume too much wrestling media. My GF loses her mind with how much I already do. 

I get the complaints about wrestling being on things like “Midco Sports Plus,” but BTN and ESPNU are 2 of the more mainstream places to watch...

1 hour ago, Nittany said:

Oh, and I disagree that no one tunes in to BTN or ESPNU for anything but college football.  I don't watch college football but will tune in for a college wrestling match (only).

Average Prime viewership rankings and Persons 2+ viewers by network for 2023, according to Nielsen:

1. NBC  - 4,537,000 Persons 2+ watched any minute from 8-11P M-Sat / 7-11P Sun
2. CBS - 4,508,000
3. ABC - 3,888,000
4. FOX - 3,353,000

6. ESPN - 1,705,000

40. ESPN 2 - 323,000

107 BTN - 64,000

121. ESPNU - 44,000

You, like me, are but one person of the 330 million in the US.

• Fire 2

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

2 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Linear TV and streaming TV have about the same audience share as we speak, and streaming TV is definitely growing and cannibalizing itself at the same time. (That "Other" bucket is largely streaming via cable set top box app and video game viewing.)

Per my response above, the Big 4 Broadcast networks would rank between Netflix and Amazon Prime Video on the right hand side. Granted, these networks do it each airing ONE program at a time while YouTube does its with nearly infinite choice and Netflix has over 10,000 individual titles.

Ultimately, the largest TV events will reaming on linear TV because it is where you can still gather the largest audience and, in turn, generate the most revenue. It's great that you and I can feed our unique media needs on streaming, but there's a reason why it's called BROADcasting.

image.thumb.png.ca199b9d935bfc5f99b56766ec7bb19e.png

• Fire 1

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

25 minutes ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

Average Prime viewership rankings and Persons 2+ viewers by network for 2023, according to Nielsen:

1. NBC  - 4,537,000 Persons 2+ watched any minute from 8-11P M-Sat / 7-11P Sun
2. CBS - 4,508,000
3. ABC - 3,888,000
4. FOX - 3,353,000

6. ESPN - 1,705,000

40. ESPN 2 - 323,000

107 BTN - 64,000

121. ESPNU - 44,000

You, like me, are but one person of the 330 million in the US.

Those averages for BTN and ESPNU are surprising to me, thanks.

It was pointed out in some of the discussion about this on twitter that the Iowa/Rutgers bball game mentioned was womens and Caitlin Clark has been drawing big numbers.

This person seems to post some other numbers and the wrestling numbers mentioned were comparable to some other womens bball games on BTN, which seems reasonable:

And it looks like the ESPNU numbers were about half of womens volleyball playoffs, which also seems reasonable.  So you’re right, maybe not as bad as it seems.

2 hours ago, Dogbone said:

If I "record" the event and watch it later on YouTube TV, am I included in the 34K?  Just curious how that is determined.

Linear TV and digital media are generally measured and counted differently because the advertising models for each media are different.

Linear TV viewing totals are the averages of every minute watched because advertisers want to know how many viewers watched their ads, not the content itself. So, more than 34,000 watched some portion of the OKST-NCST dual on ESPNU - very few people watch every minute of any telecast (think of the channel surfing you do) - but the average number of viewers at any given time was 34,000. Linear TV is primarily measured by Nielsen and a viewer counts if the program is watched in the same format as the original telecast WITH THE SAME AD CONTENT within 7 days of viewing.

So, if you recorded that match on ESPNU using your YouTubeTV virtual cable TV subscription service and watched within 7 days of the original telecast - which it sounds like you did - your viewing could be added to an amended total that is provided to the network and its advertisers. (Not sure I want to go into all that goes into the final tabulations of data from Nielsen's panel and its access to "big data" from cable services.)

However, in digital media like streaming video, ads are delivered on an individual basis based on what the platform believes who is watching on a given device. (These assumptions are hilariously terrible and people would be a lot less worried about data privacy if they knew how badly the algorithms worked.) So, if a person watches the match on YouTube and not the YouTube virtual cable service, viewing would be added to a separate cumulative total of views of the meet on the platform no matter how much or little of the meet you watched.

Ultimately, the powers that be at ESPNU would much prefer you to watch the meet on ESPNU in real time because they would make more money if you did. But, they also know they must follow their viewers. So if people want to watch portions of the meet on YouTube they will put it there lest people watch pirated versions of their telecast and they make no money whatsoever.

• Fire 2

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

7 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I get the complaints about wrestling being on things like “Midco Sports Plus,” but BTN and ESPNU are 2 of the more mainstream places to watch...

Yeah I just learned you can buy a BTN+ subsciption for $70 annually and watch all btn duals on it. May pull the trigger before Friday! 

7 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Yeah I just learned you can buy a BTN+ subsciption for $70 annually and watch all btn duals on it. May pull the trigger before Friday

Dumping the GF?  😯

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1