Brandon Eggum Extended through 2025-26

38 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

https://gophersports.com/news/2024/1/5/wrestling-eggum-inks-contract-extension

I have a lot of thoughts on this, but want to get other opinions before spewing my own. I can’t imagine this is going to be well received news by most of my fellow gopher fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back when I got into College Wrestling Dustin Schlatter was a true freshman on the team. Man have things changed since those days with the Gophers.

• Fire 1

Gable Steveson is probably the reason.  If not for his two nattys, eggum coaching him in the Olympics to Gold and Gable potentially coming back for a shot at a third I think he’d be gone. 

• Fire 1

I have met Eggum and he seems like a stand up dude.   Granted he is not running the program like J Rob but J Rob  wasn't runnning it like J Rob when he got relieved of duties.  

It would be nice for MN to make it back to the top echelons for sure. 

mspart

15 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Gable Steveson is probably the reason.  If not for his two nattys, eggum coaching him in the Olympics to Gold and Gable potentially coming back for a shot at a third I think he’d be gone. 

That and not being complicit in a student-athlete drug ring.

• Fire 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

I don't understand the Eggum hate. He delivers multiple AAs on an annual basis, graduates his student-athletes, has a strong donor base, and his team keeps their names out of the beat report. And as previously mentioned, he kept an Olympic champ and Hodge winner at home.

• Fire 4

i am an idiot on the internet

Anyone who follows Gopher wrestling closely knows this was a no-brainer.

Rodent, you know that’s not true. He’s far from universally liked. That doesn’t make those people right, but there are definitely people that follow close that want him gone.

• Fire 1

32 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Rodent, you know that’s not true. He’s far from universally liked. That doesn’t make those people right, but there are definitely people that follow close that want him gone.

I would love to know who he would be replaced with. Only three potentially realistic candidates would have a shot at meeting or exceeding Eggum as his successor: Hahn (not a given to even put his name in), Ramos, and Metcalf. And none of those is a given to meet his bar.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

55 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

I don't know that at all.  The only people I hear complaining are fair weather fans on social media that maybe wrestled in high school but don't follow college much.  They always want to bring up JRob, blah, blah.  They have very selective memory about that era.

Eggum is the Minnesota analog to Brands, but seemingly does it with in a much more palatable fashion.  He’s not J-rob, per se, and there’s no chance he brings home a title ever, but we can say the same things about every coach not named cael right now.

I’m not a gopher die hard, and I 100% leave this open to die hard fans to correct me on, but I do have to say, on average, the minnesota wrestlers I’ve come across rank very close to the top of the competitive ranks in terms of composure, behavior, and regularly  exemplifying the best qualities of the sport day in and day out.  

Also, didn’t J-Rob take the proverbial bullet for his athletes? He made an immense sacrifice to give one of his wrestlers a second chance.  Even if some of those kids were making bad choices, he also knew full well how duplicitous college administrations are. 

50 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

I don't know that at all.  The only people I hear complaining are fair weather fans on social media that maybe wrestled in high school but don't follow college much.  They always want to bring up JRob, blah, blah.  They have very selective memory about that era.

You mean the national title era?  That one???  Blah blah championship blah championship blah blah championship ???

Edited by JimmyBT

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

I don't understand the Eggum hate. He delivers multiple AAs on an annual basis, graduates his student-athletes, has a strong donor base, and his team keeps their names out of the beat report. And as previously mentioned, he kept an Olympic champ and Hodge winner at home.

Multiple. AA’s??????  Back out Gable and list them by season. 

Edited by JimmyBT

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

I would love to know who he would be replaced with. Only three potentially realistic candidates would have a shot at meeting or exceeding Eggum as his successor: Hahn (not a given to even put his name in), Ramos, and Metcalf. And none of those is a given to meet his bar.

Hahn would take it and immediately be better 

52 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

So list the people that YOU claim maybe wrestled in High school that YOU claim are the only ones complaining and are just fair weather fans and don’t follow college wrestling much.  I’ll bet there aren’t more than 3.  As for those of us that pay attention we call bullshit 

Im not trying to argue for or against Eggum right now; but since 2016 theres been
Lizak three times
Brett Pfarr twice
Mitch McKee (senior season stolen by Covid)
Devin Skatzka (senior season stolen by Covid)
Pat McKee twice
Brayton Lee in his only NCAA tournament he got to wrestle
Jake Bergeland 2022
Aaron Nagao 2023
Michael Blockhus 2023

I think every year since 2016 there’s been at least two per year. Averaging three I believe.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, poorwrestler said:

Im not trying to argue for or against Eggum right now; but since 2016 theres been
Lizak three times
Brett Pfarr twice
Mitch McKee (senior season stolen by Covid)
Devin Skatzka (senior season stolen by Covid)
Pat McKee twice
Brayton Lee in his only NCAA tournament he got to wrestle
Jake Bergeland 2022
Aaron Nagao 2023
Michael Blockhus 2023

I think every year since 2016 there’s been at least two per year. Averaging three I believe.

That’s not by year 

16 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

You mean the national title era?  That one??? 

That was the golden era that everyone remembers, but it wasn't until his 11th year that J finished higher than 7th place at NCAA and his first 7 seasons, he had slightly lower dual winning percentage than Eggum's tenure.  Nothing against J but people only remember the good years.  The truth is in today's era the teams that have the biggest donors will be the ones that win.  

2 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

That was the golden era that everyone remembers, but it wasn't until his 11th year that J finished higher than 7th place at NCAA and his first 7 seasons, he had slightly lower dual winning percentage than Eggum's tenure.  Nothing against J but people only remember the good years.  The truth is in today's era the teams that have the biggest donors will be the ones that win.  

He.  Won.  THREE NATIONAL TITLES.  ONE WITH NO INDIVIDUAL CHAMP. 

1 minute ago, JimmyBT said:

He.  Won.  THREE NATIONAL TITLES.  ONE WITH NO INDIVIDUAL CHAMP. 

Is anyone arguing that?  Eggum was an assistant for all 3 of those btw.  If you think everyone should be fired that hasn't won 3 national titles in 7 years, then there is maybe 2 people on the planet that would qualify as a replacement.

1 minute ago, MNRodent said:

Is anyone arguing that?  Eggum was an assistant for all 3 of those btw.  If you think everyone should be fired that hasn't won 3 national titles in 7 years, then there is maybe 2 people on the planet that would qualify as a replacement.

Back out Penn St and call me when he finishes second. 

It’s always funny how the staff never gets any credit for Gable’s accomplishments. The relationship and trust built with Gable was crucial to his development. The growth he made from his true freshman season throughout his career is pretty impressive. Yes we all know Gable was a phenomenal recruit, but they certainly developed him.

#9 recruiting class is redshirting and #3 recruiting class in coming in next year. A top recruit committed in class of 2025. Help is on the way.

• Fire 4