Iowa should STILL welcome the Ferraris

Jimmy Cinnabon

1 hour ago, swoopdown said:

Interesting counterpoint.  Here's a truth-teller poll, if your daughter asked your advice regarding four possibilities, which would one would you advise her to marry?

A) Downey

B) AJ

C) DeSanto

D) Brooks

For me its D) and (based on my limited exposure) I'd be happy for her.  Not even close.

Would that still be your choice if you or your daughter were Muslim, or you had Muslims in your family?

Honestly, I like Brooks, a lot, and respect his religious views, but I'd need to know his proselytizing wasn't going to put undue pressure on my kid to conform to his worldview to be contemptuous of other religions.  Otherwise its disqualifying.

I don't think DeSanto deserves to be lumped in with A and B.  Three or even two years ago, yes, but to my eyes, he has grown and matured a good bit.  

• Fire 2

18 minutes ago, BAC said:

Would that still be your choice if you or your daughter were Muslim, or you had Muslims in your family?

Yes and I actually considered this when I did my thought experiment.  Curious who would make or evade a pick as well.

Edited by swoopdown

2 hours ago, swoopdown said:

Interesting counterpoint.  Here's a truth-teller poll, if your daughter asked your advice regarding four possibilities, which would one would you advise her to marry?

A) Downey

B) AJ

C) DeSanto

D) Brooks

For me its D) and (based on my limited exposure) I'd be happy for her.  Not even close.

Two never wrestled for the Hawkeyes.    I’m not touching Downey with a 10 foot pole.   One made national news for bashing a religion.   Those zealots make good husbands I hear.  

On 12/31/2023 at 2:50 PM, Caveira said:

Two never wrestled for the Hawkeyes.    I’m not touching Downey with a 10 foot pole.   One made national news for bashing a religion.   Those zealots make good husbands I hear.  

Two?  Wasn’t DeSanto the only one?

20 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Two?  Wasn’t DeSanto the only one?

Correct.  I didn’t count brooks in the math though.  Point was only 1 (desanto) were wore the black and gold.   

several news outlets picked up brooks poor choice of worlds.   Hope he doesn’t want a job in corporate America.   Hard to explain that away in an interview   

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ncaa-wrestler-comes-under-fire-suggesting-muhammad-false-prophet-professing-belief-christ.amp

https://deadspin.com/aaron-brooks-penn-state-islam-1850245650

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstate/2023/03/penn-state-wrestling-champ-under-fire-for-comments-disparaging-islamic-prophet-muhammad.html?outputType=amp

https://news.yahoo.com/wrestler-condemned-unacceptable-air-comments-212809881.html

Anyone who feigns outrage at what brooks said just hates religious people in general. You can't be religious and acknowledge the legitimacy of other religions than your own. 

• Fire 3
  • Confused 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

28 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Anyone who feigns outrage at what brooks said just hates religious people in general. You can't be religious and acknowledge the legitimacy of other religions than your own. 

Yes you can

On 12/31/2023 at 6:20 AM, Wrestleknownothing said:

Yeah, so the admissions department may save Brands from having to decide.

Do you need to be enrolled as a student at Iowa for them to put you on the team? Only half kidding. 

18 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

no you can't. it doesn't make sense. 

You sure can.  And there is no need to answer that way on national tv.   Bla bla glory be … thanks to my coaches… teammates …. My faith …….  That’s the answer.   This video would do you some good.  

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

no you can't. it doesn't make sense. 

There are cross overs in most religions. Some people even believe that God revealed themself differently in different religions with same basic principles. Just because you didn't think one religion can't support/respect/legitimize parts of other religions, doesn't mean others don't do it. 

By the way, Brooks is 23. Wonder if he would say the same thing when he is 33. 

1 minute ago, wrestlingshoe said:

There are cross overs in most religions. Some people even believe that God revealed themself differently in different religions with same basic principles. Just because you didn't think one religion can't support/respect/legitimize parts of other religions, doesn't mean others don't do it. 

That’s not the way he said it … quote from the article.   I think he was “growing the sport” when he came up with that line lol:

Brooks explained. “You can only get that through him, it will be spread only through him. No false prophets, no Muhammad nor anyone else. Only Jesus Christ himself.”

3 minutes ago, Caveira said:

You sure can.  And there is no need to answer that way on national tv.   Bla bla glory be … thanks to my coaches… teammates …. My faith …….  That’s the answer.   This video would do you some good.  

I agree with you... The problem is, far right Christians have a narrow view of humanity... It is their way or no way. 

6 minutes ago, wrestlingshoe said:

I'm not saying its a smart thing to say under the circumstances.

But anyway you aren't addressing the core idea, just because some people have nonsensical religious beliefs doesn't mean brooks has to. A religion is essentially a conduit for ultimate truth, there can't be multiple sources of ultimate truth, everyone who professes adherence to one religion is doing it to the exclusion of all others. Won't post again on this subject, not out of passive aggressiveness it just isn't going anywhere. 

Edited by Hammerlock3
  • Fire 2

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

2 minutes ago, Caveira said:

That’s not the way he said it … quote from the article.   I think he was “growing the sport” when he came up with that line lol:

Brooks explained. “You can only get that through him, it will be spread only through him. No false prophets, no Muhammad nor anyone else. Only Jesus Christ himself.”

I agree. I have read what he said. I don't agree with Brooks. I disagree that you can't respect or even believe what other religions believe. 

6 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I'm not saying its a smart thing to say under the circumstances.

But anyway you aren't addressing the core idea, just because some people have nonsensical religious beliefs doesn't mean brooks has to. A religion is essentially a conduit for ultimate truth, there can't be multiple sources of ultimate truth, everyone who professes adherence to one religion is doing it to the exclusion of all others. Won't post again on this subject, not out of passive aggressiveness it just isn't going anywhere. 

People willing to be that religious I front of millions tend to be farther down that road.   Calling out other religions on national television is pretty far right.   Really doesn’t get more far right than that.  

unless your South Park.  Then you get a pass.  

Edited by Caveira

1 hour ago, Hammerlock3 said:

And therein, lies the problem.

Jesus himself said that he is the only way to get to heaven. So as @Hammerlock3 said, a Christian can’t really acknowledge the legitimacy of other religions. I don’t think that makes Christians bad people, just strong in their faith. Now, I don’t think what Brooks said was a good idea and what he said it isn’t going to inspire Muslims to convert to Christianity (probably the opposite). Just wanted to clarify why Brooks said it. 

On 12/31/2023 at 12:15 PM, swoopdown said:

A) Downey

B) AJ

C) DeSanto

D) Brooks

C) Drawn to -- he was a kid.

A = violent, misogynistic narcissist

B = violent narcissist

D = megalomaniac fueled by possible Geshwind syndrome