Southern border

headshuck

13 minutes ago, mspart said:

Why is having tens of thousands daily crossing the border a good thing?

mspart

11 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

IMO, it is not.

8 minutes ago, mspart said:

Then it should be stopped.   TX is making that attempt at least along their border.   This would not be felt necessary (and never was) except the Federal Government has abdicated their responsibility to control immigration. 

mspart

7 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Each state gets to make it's own immigration policies?

So this is why I am not sure I believe you when you say in your opinion, it is not good to have tens of thousands crossing the border daily.   You say it is not good.   Yet TX is doing something about it and you are now questioning their authority to do so.   So do you really think it is a bad thing for so many people to come over?  If you do, but don't think a state has the authority to stop it, then what are you doing to get the Federal government to stop it?   From what I have seen, you are pretty much a rah rah for the feds and what they are doing.  

As far as I am concerned, the Federal government has abdicated their duty.   By doing so they authorize the states to do it for them.  Period. 

mspart

8 minutes ago, mspart said:

So this is why I am not sure I believe you when you say in your opinion, it is not good to have tens of thousands crossing the border daily.   You say it is not good.   Yet TX is doing something about it and you are now questioning their authority to do so.   So do you really think it is a bad thing for so many people to come over?  If you do, but don't think a state has the authority to stop it, then what are you doing to get the Federal government to stop it?   From what I have seen, you are pretty much a rah rah for the feds and what they are doing.  

As far as I am concerned, the Federal government has abdicated their duty.   By doing so they authorize the states to do it for them.  Period. 

mspart

NYC is housing 10s of thousands of migrants, consistent with their policy and not out of step with federal law.  Many of them sent directly from TX by TX.

Should they be able to make immigration law to enable the migrants to work and alleviate the financial burden of their policy?

TX, AZ, FL, and CA are housing many times more than that.   TX and FL only send a small portion of what they receive everyday.  

What does the federal law say about giving immigrants work visas?  What does federal law say about allowing everyone that wants across the border to come across the border?    I don't know about the visa deal but the law on immigration has a certain amount of qualified people that can come into the country.   That has been abdicated.   If everyone that comes into the country per the law gets a visa, then I suppose the city could give them a visa.   But now you have too many workers and wages will go down and this will be a huge economic issue everywhere, which is why we have immigration law in the first place.   There are intended and unintended consequences to abdicating responsibility at the border. 

mspart

23 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

NYC is housing 10s of thousands of migrants, consistent with their policy and not out of step with federal law.  Many of them sent directly from TX by TX.

Should they be able to make immigration law to enable the migrants to work and alleviate the financial burden of their policy?

Only 10s of thousands, why not more?  10k is about their fair share of the southern border crossing per month so shouldn't they be in the 100k+ range by now.  Where should they all go?  

7 minutes ago, ionel said:

Only 10s of thousands, why not more?  10k is about their fair share of the southern border crossing per month so shouldn't they be in the 100k+ range by now.  Where should they all go?  

I think the number is 60000 but many times that have cycled through.  Most are on their own, I assume.

2 minutes ago, Ohio Elite said:

Anywhere but Ohio..

Did Ohio vote for Biden and this policy, think thats a no correct?  I say send em to the states that voted for it.  That should double NY's fair share and its all about fair share.  

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, mspart said:

TX, AZ, FL, and CA are housing many times more than that.   TX and FL only send a small portion of what they receive everyday.  

What does the federal law say about giving immigrants work visas?  What does federal law say about allowing everyone that wants across the border to come across the border?    I don't know about the visa deal but the law on immigration has a certain amount of qualified people that can come into the country.   That has been abdicated.   If everyone that comes into the country per the law gets a visa, then I suppose the city could give them a visa.   But now you have too many workers and wages will go down and this will be a huge economic issue everywhere, which is why we have immigration law in the first place.   There are intended and unintended consequences to abdicating responsibility at the border. 

mspart

For me, the point of the discussion is whether US law allows for states to set their own immigration policies and what the limits should be if it does.

4 minutes ago, ionel said:

Did Ohio vote for Biden and this policy, think thats a no correct?  I say send em to the states that voted for it.  That should double NY's fair share and its all about fair share.  

Ohio has a congressional delegation and that is where the law is established.  By your own barroom napkin math, ny is shouldering way more than their fair share.

22 minutes ago, ionel said:

Here or home.

19 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

For me, the point of the discussion is whether US law allows for states to set their own immigration policies and what the limits should be if it does.

For me it is if the Fed abdicate their lawful responsibility as in this case.   Then the state can act and I think TX is well within their rights to do so.

How does the law cover work visas?  I don't know. 

mspart

Not an expert here.

I don't think the state can deport illegals. Rather, that is a federal action.

The state cannot make laws to override the fed.

The state can take the fed to court.

The state can't forcefully relocate illegals but it can relocate the willing.  Why wouldn't an illegal want to travel to a sanctuary?

The fact that sanctuary cities FAFO? Fantastico.

1 minute ago, jross said:

The state cannot make laws to override the fed.

If the state law is equal to the fed law, then there is no problem.   I believe that is how the laws are written.   It's just that the executive branch has decided not to enforce the law.   And that is creating all this mess.   This is a new problem, not something we've had a lot problem with except in the recent past to now.   And that is because of a decision not to enforce federal law.  

mspart

1 hour ago, mspart said:

mspart

I’m not convinced that is true.

1 minute ago, mspart said:

https://www.pewresearch.org/hispanic/interactives/u-s-unauthorized-immigrants-by-state/

image.png.2ec78b593a424c711a3e47fbcb55865f.png

Illegals in the states:

AZ  275,000

TX  1,600,000

FL  775,000

CA  2,200,000

NY  725,000

So TX, FL, and CA have more than all of NY.    AZ has less.   So technically you are correct.  

mspart

The point in question is whether they are housing them with tax funded programs.