College Football Playoff

WrestlingRasta

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Where you said Georgia would beat FSU and by double digits at full strength.

Where did I say it was a fact?   You say they wouldn’t because being undefeated means you’re better.  I say bull crap.  

26 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Want the athletes to play? Pay them.

The bowl games are purely a money grab. Let the athlete's grab some.

The schools get paid, the networks get paid, the bowl game executives get paid. 

The bowl games have highly paid, full-time, year-round staff for one game per year. The CEO (huh? what the hell does a CEO of a singe game do all year?) of the Orange Bowl got paid $750k. The Rose Bowl CEO got paid $450k. The Fiesta Bowl CEO got paid $870k. 

As much as I don't like the idea of it, I agree with this as a way to fix the problem.  

Just now, JimmyBT said:

Where did I say it was a fact?   You say they wouldn’t because being undefeated means you’re better.  I say bull crap.  

Oh and in my scenario I’m pretty sure Vegas would have agreed with me.  Another opinion there jr. 

19 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Oh and in my scenario I’m pretty sure Vegas would have agreed with me.  Another opinion there jr. 

You're pretty sure Georgia would have been favored by double digits; so we're talking full strength?  Full strength minus Jordan Travis?

5 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

You're pretty sure Georgia would have been favored by double digits; so we're talking full strength?  Full strength minus Jordan Travis?

You said the team that was undefeated was better and should have been in the final four right?  Was that with or without Travis?  My answer will be the same as yours. 

Edited by JimmyBT

54 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Want the athletes to play? Pay them.

The bowl games are purely a money grab. Let the athlete's grab some.

The schools get paid, the networks get paid, the bowl game executives get paid. 

The bowl games have highly paid, full-time, year-round staff for one game per year. The CEO (huh? what the hell does a CEO of a singe game do all year?) of the Orange Bowl got paid $750k. The Rose Bowl CEO got paid $450k. The Fiesta Bowl CEO got paid $870k. 

You know, you make an excellent point 

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

You said the team that was undefeated was better and should have been in the final four right?  Was that with or without Travis?  My answer will be the same as yours. 

Firstly, I was talking about Florida State without Jordan Travis, but it was unclear what you were referring to, so I was seeking clarification.  I think a full strength Florida State team save for no Jordan Travis would go off about a 7.5-9 point dog against Georgia.

Secondly, I said Florida State earned the right to be there.  Subjective opinions about "better" shouldn't factor into much until we're distinguishing among team with equal qualifications.  Florida State was undefeated.  Alabama and Texas were not.  Florida State played in a Power 5 Conference and also played two legit teams out of conference.  Texas and Alabama each played one serious out of conference game (against each other).  This used to matter in college football.  After doing all that has ever been required of a Power 5 team to make the playoff, Florida State was told "actually, no good, not enough" because of an injury to one player; therefore, the games don't really matter, because the committee's subjective opinion supersedes the games, which lead to what happened in the Orange Bowl.  Georgia did not have the same scenario because nothing was "taken" from them.  They simply lost a game.  That's because it's REALLY hard to go undefeated, which is why FSU had earned a spot in the playoff.  I think UGA would be favored tomorrow in a game against all the CFP teams as well as full strength FSU (with or without Jordan Travis), but they weren't even given consideration for the playoff, thereby showing the lack of consistency in the committee's argument.

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Firstly, I was talking about Florida State without Jordan Travis, but it was unclear what you were referring to, so I was seeking clarification.  I think a full strength Florida State team save for no Jordan Travis would go off about a 7.5-9 point dog against Georgia.

Secondly, I said Florida State earned the right to be there.  Subjective opinions about "better" shouldn't factor into much until we're distinguishing among team with equal qualifications.  Florida State was undefeated.  Alabama and Texas were not.  Florida State played in a Power 5 Conference and also played two legit teams out of conference.  Texas and Alabama each played one serious out of conference game (against each other).  This used to matter in college football.  After doing all that has ever been required of a Power 5 team to make the playoff, Florida State was told "actually, no good, not enough" because of an injury to one player; therefore, the games don't really matter, because the committee's subjective opinion supersedes the games, which lead to what happened in the Orange Bowl.  Georgia did not have the same scenario because nothing was "taken" from them.  They simply lost a game.  That's because it's REALLY hard to go undefeated, which is why FSU had earned a spot in the playoff.  I think UGA would be favored tomorrow in a game against all the CFP teams as well as full strength FSU (with or without Jordan Travis), but they weren't even given consideration for the playoff, thereby showing the lack of consistency in the committee's argument.

So you agree. Without Travis Georgia would be favored by double digits? 

11 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Weren’t the two legitimate out of conference teams Florida St played the third and fourth place teams in their division of the conference Georgia and Alabama are in?  

23 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Weren’t the two legitimate out of conference teams Florida St played the third and fourth place teams in their division of the conference Georgia and Alabama are in?  

When Florida State played LSU, they were ranked 5th in the country.  They can't control how LSU plays elsewhere, but what else do you want FSU to do with their out of conference schedule besides schedule those games.  Do you know what highly ranked teams Alabama beat from other conferences?  Zero.

26 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Cause 9 points is so far away from double digits. Bahahhahaahhahaha

I didn't say it was far away, why are you arguing with yourself?

Just now, VakAttack said:

When Florida State played LSU, they were ranked 5th in the country.  They can't control how LSU plays elsewhere, but what else do you want FSU to do with their out of conference schedule besides schedule those games.  Do you know what highly ranked teams Alabama beat from other conferences?  Zero.

The best teams to play are already in Alabamas conference.  And who’s arguing?   So soft around here. 

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Doesn’t matter if they can control what LSU does elsewhere.  Based on what LSU did with the schedule that was put in front of them was only good enough for third place in their division of the same conference that both Georgia and Alabama finished above them in. 

14 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

The best teams to play are already in Alabamas conference.  And who’s arguing?   So soft around here. 

Says you.  None of those teams are playing for the CFP "championship."

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Says you.  None of those teams are playing for the CFP "championship."

Yet one of them according to you would be (on average) an 8 point favorite over Florida St at full strength minus Travis. 

Edited by JimmyBT

Just now, JimmyBT said:

Yet one of them according to you would be (on average) an 8 point favorite over Florida St at full strength minus Travis. 

Yes, I do think Georgia is the best team, but I also don't think they should have been in the playoff, because they lost.  That's because it's tough to be undefeated in college football.  And the CFP committee apparently agreed with me, because they didn't include them...but then, paradoxically, they DID include two other teams that DID lose, Alabama and Texas.  So are you saying you agree that Georgia is better than all those teams?  You're arguing like three different things, while all I'm arguing for is consistency.  If we're just making subjective picks, Georgia should have been in.  If we're basing it off actual results on the field, FSU should have been in.  As it is, it's just "vibes in the moment."

Undefeated should go in before defeated.   Especially if they are from one of the big conferences.   FSU should have been in the playoff.   which of TX and AL should have been in the playoff.   Tough to say as both lost.  

mspart

• Fire 1

22 minutes ago, mspart said:

Undefeated should go in before defeated.   Especially if they are from one of the big conferences.   FSU should have been in the playoff.   which of TX and AL should have been in the playoff.   Tough to say as both lost.  

mspart

TX beat Alabama.

37 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

TX beat Alabama.

True, and I was among the first to say AL should not have been in the playoff, although I was glad they were there.   They have not played like the Tide for some time.   Moot point now, both TX and Bama are out.

mspart