College Football Playoff

WrestlingRasta

39 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

So football should just go by the way side, never to be played again….

How did you get that? In the format that has been in place you could have 5 undefeated conference champs. With no current injuries to key players. All of them with similar quality wins. Who gets left out? Thats why I was in favor of an 8-team playoff .  Then you have conferences that are much better most years. So as a fan I prefer to see it settled on the field instead of in a conference room. I just feel over the last few years it would have been great to have an 8-team bracket. Now it doesn't matter.

Edited by Paul158
missed a word.

12 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

How did you get that? In the format that has been in place you could have 5 undefeated conference champs. With no current injuries to key players. All of them with similar quality wins. Who gets left out? Thats why I was in favor of an 8-team playoff .  Then you have conferences that are much better most years. So as a fan you prefer to see it settled on the field instead of in a conference room. I just feel over the last few years it would have been great to have an 8-team bracket. Now it doesn't matter.

You see Kyle McCord just transferred??

Edited by Ohio Elite
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Ohio Elite said:

I don't think he's found a destination yet. Definitely a lot of talk about Cam Ward

I wasn't aware of any of this until this morning. But it doesn't surprise me. The portals, all the NIL money out there. This is changing college football rapidly. College wrestling is ridiculous with all the transfers. I think Iowa has at least 5 starters that are transfers.  Penn State got 2 really good transfers. I would hate to be a wrestler from some of these schools. You put in your time you are going to make varsity and they bring in someone (a NCAA all American } through the portal .

Edited by Paul158
missed a word
  • Fire 1

19 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

How did you get that? In the format that has been in place you could have 5 undefeated conference champs. With no current injuries to key players. All of them with similar quality wins. Who gets left out? Thats why I was in favor of an 8-team playoff .  Then you have conferences that are much better most years. So as a fan I prefer to see it settled on the field instead of in a conference room. I just feel over the last few years it would have been great to have an 8-team bracket. Now it doesn't matter.

I was just cracking on the day late and dollar short line.  It's just the evolution of this thing.  College football has been around for 160 years.  Only in the last 25 have we even had a 'guarantee' of a real national championship game.  We wanted to keep that tight because we still wanted the unique importance of CFB's regular season.  But then we whined and cried and wanted more teams and wanted the consistent, color blind, computer driven formulas out of it.  So we added a couple teams and brought 13 people heavily involved in college football team in to a room to watch every team and every game together and dissect and pick apart and analyze and give us the four teams that work produced as the final four....and they get it all wrong and they don't know what they are doing and they have a hidden agenda.  So we add more teams and now it's too late and short....

See what I mean?

27 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

This process is interesting to me.  I'm not a cfb fan, but I think the discussion here is a fair representation of the selection committee's thought processes.  Some of the comments and I assume committee decisions are antithetical to how sports work.  Margin of victory is meaningless.  Anybody else remember how much better David Taylor is than Kyle Dake, and why?

Exactly.  What happened yesterday is antithetical to how sports typically work.

10 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Exactly.  What happened yesterday is antithetical to how sports typically work.

But it is not at all antithetical to how college football has worked for decades.......centuries!  The last 25 years have been a slow process to what we now have at the end of the next college football regular season:  Win your conference (power 5) and you're in no matter what you're record.  Put up a good 2-3 loss season (power 5) and you got a good shot at being in.  

Edited by WrestlingRasta

1 minute ago, WrestlingRasta said:

But it is not at all antithetical to how college football has worked for decades.......centuries!  The last 25 years have been a slow process to what we now have at the end of the next college football regular season:  Win your conference (power 5) and you're in no matter what you're record.  Put up a good 2-3 loss season (power 5) and you got a good shot at being in.  

Two one-loss power 5 conference over an undefeated power 5 conference champion isn't antithetical to how college football has worked?  It's literally the first time this has happened under this system.

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Two one-loss power 5 conference over an undefeated power 5 conference champion isn't antithetical to how college football has worked?  It's literally the first time this has happened under this system.

What happened yesterday is another result of how this particular system has been going for the last ten years.  Much like a non conference champ getting in, it has always been the potential under these protocols that a P5 undefeated might not get in, it just so happened not to occur until the last year.  So in the regard that it hasn't happened before, yes you are right.  In regard to it is anti to anything this system has been about, or the previous.....it is not at all.   Final record has never been the end all be all when you have such a wide varitey of schedules and the process of selection you have. And in the last ten years specifically it has been about the 13 people working the protocols in place.

10 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I feel the committee had been playing with fire most years and that it would to come back to bite them in the butt.

• Fire 2

I watched a video where the guy was saying no way is SEC not represented in the playoff.   So Bama got in.   I'm a Bama Fan.   I am happy for Bama, although I don't necessarily think they deserve it.   They have been off all year and played a horrible game against Auburn that they should have lost but won.   I thought the same would happen in the SEC championship for GA.   But Bama beat them and it was close.   Anyway, I'm glad Bama is in but not so happy about FL State not being in.  

TX is a one loss team same as Bama.   It might have looked weird to include FL State and make TX the only team with a loss.   I think FL state should be in there and then I don't know.   Bama or TX.   That is the choice.   TX beat Bama earlier in the season so they are an obvious choice.   Bama showed glimpses of brilliance this season but also showed glimpses of mediocrity.  I say they are lucky to have been 12-1.   But I'm guessing they beat Michigan and then TX or WA.   Either way, I root for the Huskies or Tide and I have both in the playoff so I am quite happy about that. 

WA has had some scary wins and they are the PAC-12 champ but they almost lost some games they should have blown out.   Tough year for the CFP honchos to choose.     That said, I think it should be GA,MI,FL State, and TX or WA or AL.  That's my 2 cents. 

mspart

Louisville is currently ranked #16.

Alabama beat last week's #1 GA, current #11 Ole Miss and #13 LSU in SEC play.   Of course they lost to current #3 TX.

They also had very tough games with current #25 TN and Auburn, which they shouldn't have. 

B1G has 4 in the top 20, Pac-12 has 4 in top 21, Big 12 has 3 in top 22. 

I gave my top 4 before and AL is an alternate.   I think a definite case can be made that AL should not be in the playoff, but I also think SEC is the toughest conference out there.  5 teams in top 25, 4 teams in top 13, 3 teams in top 11, 2 teams in top 6, and 1 team in top 4.  I would say that is a pretty tough conference and the #6 just went down from #1. 

mspart

1 hour ago, mspart said:

SEC had 5 top 13 teams.   That's a pretty tough schedule just right there.

mspart

Yeah. Rankings they all "earned" by beating each other. A tautology of dominance. We're good because we beat SEC teams who are good because they're in the SEC.

• Fire 1

I’m not a fan of holding the Iron Bowl win against Bama. Anyone who knows even a mediocre level of college football knows that wherever the records and rankings are, a win in that game is a good win. That’s a tough game to win. 

Similar to Michigan/Ohio State. John Cooper had some of the best teams and may have went down as one of the best coaches in college football, but he got fired because there was one game he couldn’t win. 

• Fire 1

26 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

I’m not a fan of holding the Iron Bowl win against Bama. Anyone who knows even a mediocre level of college football knows that wherever the records and rankings are, a win in that game is a good win. That’s a tough game to win. 

Similar to Michigan/Ohio State. John Cooper had some of the best teams and may have went down as one of the best coaches in college football, but he got fired because there was one game he couldn’t win. 

Now do the Arkansas game.  And also, the exact same situation being held against FSU vs. the Gators.

20 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Now do the Arkansas game.  And also, the exact same situation being held against FSU vs. the Gators.

Florida and Florida State are not on the same level as Auburn/Alabama or Michigan/Ohio State. Not even close. 

And don’t have a problem at all talking the Arkansas game, they shouldn’t have been that close, you are absolutely right. But if we are going to do this thing how it’s written and contracted to be done, and not just “BUT I WANT!!!!”, then when we talk about Arkansas, we also have to talk about Boston College. 

13 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Florida and Florida State are not on the same level as Auburn/Alabama or Michigan/Ohio State. Not even close. 

And don’t have a problem at all talking the Arkansas game, they shouldn’t have been that close, you are absolutely right. But if we are going to do this thing how it’s written and contracted to be done, and not just “BUT I WANT!!!!”, then when we talk about Arkansas, we also have to talk about Boston College. 

Great, we agree.  College teams will often struggle against lesser teams.  Which is why going undefeated is so impressive.