Newsome vs.DeSantis debate. Whose watching?

Paul158

1 hour ago, Offthemat said:

You could be cleaning up. 

San Fran is a city of free spirited defecators.  Although I can be mobile with the proper assistance there is no way I can compete with the city's poop patrol.  They cornered the market

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Didn't watch it.   For those that did, what did you think of the format, intrusiveness of the moderator, and the time allowed for the debaters to make their point?

Is this a template for future Primary and General election Presidential debates?

mspart

The discussion was about the initial shutdown the feds and the states did due to covid.   Newsom was pointing out that DeSantis followed the "science" and shutdown the state.  

What Newsom failed to say was that DeSantis also followed the science and lifted the shutdown as one of the first in the nation to do so.  

Thus the argument.

mspart

6 minutes ago, mspart said:

The discussion was about the initial shutdown the feds and the states did due to covid.   Newsom was pointing out that DeSantis followed the "science" and shutdown the state.  

What Newsom failed to say was that DeSantis also followed the science and lifted the shutdown as one of the first in the nation to do so.  

Thus the argument.

mspartpp

Huh.

I heard Newsom told him he stopped following the science and it cost tens of thousands of lives.  Seems true since the per-capita death rate in Florida is well over 50% higher than CA and one of the worst in the country.

6 hours ago, mspart said:

Didn't watch it.   For those that did, what did you think of the format, intrusiveness of the moderator, and the time allowed for the debaters to make their point?

Is this a template for future Primary and General election Presidential debates?

mspart

No. Moderator needs to be completely unbiased in their work on that stage. 

17 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Huh.

I heard Newsom told him he stopped following the science and it cost tens of thousands of lives.  Seems true since the per-capita death rate in Florida is well over 50% higher than CA and one of the worst in the country.

Did you normalize the numbers based on average age of the population in each state....didn't think so

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

COVID statistics showing per capita death rates by state cross referenced with median age of residents by state.

So you don't have proof...got it.

Average population of people over 65 by state...Florida ranked 2nd....California ranked 45th... (Which U.S. States Have the Oldest Populations? | PRB)...yes I know I used 2022.   Here is the CDC's page where you can look up deaths associated with Covid for all demographics by state.  Take away, as once again, the data shows the rona was drastically more impactful to the older population...I mean it's not even close (ex. in FL of the 81,894 deaths, 78,380 were 50 and over, and in CA of the 129,249 deaths, 100,473 were over 50). COVID-19 Provisional Counts - Weekly Updates by Select Demographic and Geographic Characteristics (cdc.gov)

And I won't even get into HOW the Covid deaths were counted...that has been hashed out so many times and still can't believe people don't care how they were counted...but ignorance is bliss for some.

• Fire 2

12 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

So you don't have proof...got it.

Average population of people over 65 by state...Florida ranked 2nd....California ranked 45th... (Which U.S. States Have the Oldest Populations? | PRB)...yes I know I used 2022.   Here is the CDC's page where you can look up deaths associated with Covid for all demographics by state.  Take away, as once again, the data shows the rona was drastically more impactful to the older population...I mean it's not even close (ex. in FL of the 81,894 deaths, 78,380 were 50 and over, and in CA of the 129,249 deaths, 100,473 were over 50). COVID-19 Provisional Counts - Weekly Updates by Select Demographic and Geographic Characteristics (cdc.gov)

And I won't even get into HOW the Covid deaths were counted...that has been hashed out so many times and still can't believe people don't care how they were counted...but ignorance is bliss for some.

Those statistics are not significantly different from the ones I used.  You look right past VT, NH, HI and ME!  Those states are statistically the same as FL but on the polar opposite side of death rate.  What gives?!

1 minute ago, Plasmodium said:

Those statistics are not significantly different from the ones I used.  You look right past VT, NH, HI and ME!  Those states are statistically the same as FL but on the polar opposite side of death rate.  What gives?!

What gives what...weren't we talking about FL and CA??  The point I made still holds true...the data speaks for itself...if Desantis' policies were so terrible the data would have clearly showed that, but it doesn't.  The takeaway is that the rona hit the older folks significantly (not even close) worse than those under 50, and in my opinion policies that were a blanketed approach for the whole population was...well...stupid and not needed.  And so did Desantis

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Bigbrog said:

What gives what...weren't we talking about FL and CA??  The point I made still holds true...the data speaks for itself...if Desantis' policies were so terrible the data would have clearly showed that, but it doesn't.  The takeaway is that the rona hit the older folks significantly (not even close) worse than those under 50, and in my opinion policies that were a blanketed approach for the whole population was...well...stupid and not needed.  And so did Desantis

No.  We are talking about an alleged tight correlation between the age of a population and it's death rate due to covid, per you.  The data doesn't show that correlation at all. 

8 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

No.  We are talking about an alleged tight correlation between the age of a population and it's death rate due to covid, per you.  The data doesn't show that correlation at all. 

Uhhh...say what??  There isn't a correlation to age and the death rate??  Really?  If Desantis was SOOO much worse than CA then the numbers, which I provided, would have been drastically different...i.e., the percentage of deaths according to you and Newsome is that FL was SOOO much worse, when in fact they were actually not that far apart based on percentage of old people that died compared to the total death count....~0.05 % difference...if FL's policies where so bad there should have been a significantly higher percentage of older folks that died comparatively, but that isn't the case.

Why do we ‘normalize’ the death of someone because they are over 60, to the point we don’t feel like that number should really count in statistics and studies. 

An old friend of mine once told me you can really tell a lot about someone in what they think of dogs, and old people. 

Then again he was an old person, so probably shouldn’t count.