You’re the AD…

AnklePicker

And speaking of old forum posts, I think I found the winner for posts that aged poorly:

https://buckeyeplanet.com/forum/threads/cael-sanderson-becomes-unexpected-head-coach-at-iowa-state.23740/

A poster named “ysubuck” on March 30, 2006 in a thread about when Cael became HC at ISU:

This just doesn't make any sense to me. What makes Cael Sanderson such a hot commodity as a head coach?

Edited by 1032004
  • Fire 1

38 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

And speaking of old forum posts, I think I found the winner for posts that aged poorly:

https://buckeyeplanet.com/forum/threads/cael-sanderson-becomes-unexpected-head-coach-at-iowa-state.23740/

A poster named “ysubuck” on March 30, 2006 in a thread about when Cael became HC at ISU:

This just doesn't make any sense to me. What makes Cael Sanderson such a hot commodity as a head coach?

Not sure but believe it might've been nhs who suggested ysubuck was MP's turdbiscuit uncle.  They may be sitting down for turkey as we speak.  😉

15 minutes ago, ionel said:

Not sure but believe it might've been nhs who suggested ysubuck was MP's turdbiscuit uncle.  They may be sitting down for turkey as we speak.  😉

We're happy to let PA have Youngstown...

Another post in that thread reads; "But his name should be able to pull in some of the best recruiting classes known to man."

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Anyone here read Douglas’s biography by Craig Sesker?  I can’t seem to find any actual articles, but this forum post appears to copy an old article with this quote, which is even more direct:

https://d1wrestling.proboards.com/thread/3844/truth-comes-out-cael-sanderson

The Ohio State job had come open and we couldn't risk losing Cael,' Pollard told Sesker. ' ...
Cael told me 'I'm either the head coach at Iowa State or I leave.'

I copied a quote from an article that WKN was using to prove that Cael didn’t orchestrate Coach Douglass’ abrupt departure. 

This is a good question. Tom and Terry have done a wonderful job at Iowa, but if they tried to rebuild elsewhere how would they fare? Dresser is proven, but I think T&T would attract a certain type and would be successful.  Close, but I would say T&T. 

19 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I copied a quote from an article that WKN was using to prove that Cael didn’t orchestrate Coach Douglass’ abrupt departure. 

I know, but those were more reading between the lines stuff.  That one was pretty direct

• Fire 1

If you take T&T you better have a Gold Plated medical plan in place. A lot of injuries and nagging health problems with their wrestlers as they keep pusing over the top misapplied Gable mentality with their kids.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Well, after today it’s pretty easy to answer this question.

I was rooting for ISU, but it was pretty apparent who the guys were that the brands wanted to keep around and who had to go elsewhere to find coaching openings.  I don’t like saying it, but one corner was composed and prepared, the other was not.

• Fire 1

In the first half, I felt that ISU squarely outwrestled the hawks. Things changed a bit after the break.

However, I'm not certain it's clear which corner coached better. ISU had some weird moments (not challenging the end of 141, the 174 decision) but the Brands didn't totally outshine them either. Why didn't Woods choose top? Is part of Voinovich's inability to at least fake offense a result of a lack of pressure from the corner? It was hard to hear and pay attention to everything not to mention I've been drinking so take all of this with a bag of salt

Edited by Mr. PeanutButter

5 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

In the first half, I felt that ISU squarely outwrestled the hawks. Things changed a bit after the break.

However, I'm not certain it's clear which corner coached better. ISU had some weird moments (not challenging the end of 141, the 174 decision) but the Brands didn't totally outshine them either. Why didn't Woods choose top? Is part of Voinovich's inability to at least fake offense a result of a lack of pressure from the corner? It was hard to hear and pay attention to everything not to mention I've been drinking so take all of this with a bag of salt

Yeah it seems the main “outcoaching” Brands did was using Kennedy and Arnold at 174/184.  But they’re likely their best 2 guys there, so it’s not like it was rocket science to do that.  I think people just weren’t totally sure if Kennedy was available.   And if Swafford wasn’t, that likely made the decision even easier.

That said, Dresser really didn’t do anything that would show him as outcoaching Brands…

9 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah it seems the main “outcoaching” Brands did was using Kennedy and Arnold at 174/184.  But they’re likely their best 2 guys there, so it’s not like it was rocket science to do that.  I think people just weren’t totally sure if Kennedy was available.   And if Swafford wasn’t, that likely made the decision even easier.

That said, Dresser really didn’t do anything that would show him as outcoaching Brands…

Not to mention that Dresser maybe could have pulled some bumping shenanigans of his own, with a number of supposedly solid guys between 165-184.

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Not to mention that Dresser maybe could have pulled some bumping shenanigans of his own, with a number of supposedly solid guys between 165-184.

Yes, but the way Feldkamp wrestled last night, not sure he beats Glazier.    

TLDR.

I just wanted to come in and say that regardless of what my vote might have been for before, after last night I don't see a way the vote isn't Tom and Terry.

They just outcoached the shit out of Dresser and it wasn't even close.

The running them for Iowa State last night was this...

141 - Dresser: Year I messed up there.
157 - Dresser: Yeah I messed up there.
174 - Dresser: Yeah I messed up there.
184 - Dresser: Yeah I messed up there.
197 - Dresser: Yeah I messed up there.

Five matches, or 5/10 where he dropped the ball as the HC.

I am curious if they consider swapping Broderson and Feldkamp at this point for some duals, because Broderson at 197 did not want to be there against a Fringe T24 type guy in Glazier.  What do you think he is going to do against the brutes of 197 in Hidlay, Beard, Brooks, Poznanski, Surber, Smith, Joles, Allred, etc... or the guys that are so much longer in Elam, Sloan, Shaw, Cardenas, etc?

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

TLDR.

I just wanted to come in and say that regardless of what my vote might have been for before, after last night I don't see a way the vote isn't Tom and Terry.

They just outcoached the shit out of Dresser and it wasn't even close.

The running them for Iowa State last night was this...

141 - Dresser: Year I messed up there.
157 - Dresser: Yeah I messed up there.
174 - Dresser: Yeah I messed up there.
184 - Dresser: Yeah I messed up there.
197 - Dresser: Yeah I messed up there.

Five matches, or 5/10 where he dropped the ball as the HC.

I am curious if they consider swapping Broderson and Feldkamp at this point for some duals, because Broderson at 197 did not want to be there against a Fringe T24 type guy in Glazier.  What do you think he is going to do against the brutes of 197 in Hidlay, Beard, Brooks, Poznanski, Surber, Smith, Joles, Allred, etc... or the guys that are so much longer in Elam, Sloan, Shaw, Cardenas, etc?

Agree overall, but what did Dresser mess up at 157?

Just now, 1032004 said:

Agree overall, but what did Dresser mess up at 157?

Still a lot of folks pissing and moaning on Twatter about the 'noncall' or 'timeclock' thing being a thing.  And because he had dropped the ball elsewhere, it is easy to point fingers at him for that one too.

Just now, nhs67 said:

Still a lot of folks pissing and moaning on Twatter about the 'noncall' or 'timeclock' thing being a thing.  And because he had dropped the ball elsewhere, it is easy to point fingers at him for that one too.

The officials reviewed that call though

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

The officials reviewed that call though

There were two there, weren't there?  One in the second and one at the end?  I don't think they reviewed both?

Also the timeclock being different/wrong.  Wasn't that this match?

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

There were two there, weren't there?  One in the second and one at the end?  I don't think they reviewed both?

Also the timeclock being different/wrong.  Wasn't that this match?

Don't remember if anything in 2nd period or if timeclock issues.   It was Woods/Echemendia where they stopped it with 1 second though if that's what you're thinking of

• Fire 1

Just now, 1032004 said:

Don't remember if anything in 2nd period or if timeclock issues.   It was Woods/Echemendia where they stopped it with 1 second though if that's what you're thinking of

No, they wrestled the 1 second of that match.

My mind might be fuzzy as of now - a lot of Jagerbombs and as a 56 year old man they make things fuzzy.

I thought there was something there with clock management that made this match controversial as well as there being two instances where Chittum 'nearly' had the TD, not just the one that was reviewed.

In any case you can take that one back and it is still 40% of the matches where he dropped the ball just purely as a coach.  Getting $300k a year?  He doesn't deserve that this year after that one.