Why is mindset so often disregarded?

Tigerfan

There have been several threads recently (and always) that discuss how elite level wrestlers lack certain skills, from a particular position or in certain circumstances, and it strikes me as rather ignorant (no offense intended). Do people really believe that AA-level wrestlers lack offensive attacks, or the skills necessary to get out from bottom, etc.? 

It seems to me the much more likely culprit for these fan perceptions is that some wrestlers have superior mindsets, either generally or in specific circumstances. Brock Mauller has a dizzying array of high level techniques, but seems consistently reluctant to unleash them. That’s very different that saying he has to develop some offensive attacks. Watch guys like that in the practice room, or against significantly outmatched opponents (where they are supremely confident of success) and it’s obvious. That common trait amongst these extremely competent wrestlers who may struggle in competitive or high pressure situations is their lack of true belief in their own abilities, not an actual lack of ability. Thoughts?

I always go back to a comment RBY made after winning last year. He was talking about what Cael Sanderson said to him right before he went out for his first final. It was something along the lines of, "In ten years no one will remember this."

I think it is a masterful way to diffuse the tension and let a wrestler just wrestle.

• Fire 3

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, Tigerfan said:

There have been several threads recently (and always) that discuss how elite level wrestlers lack certain skills, from a particular position or in certain circumstances, and it strikes me as rather ignorant (no offense intended). Do people really believe that AA-level wrestlers lack offensive attacks, or the skills necessary to get out from bottom, etc.? 

It seems to me the much more likely culprit for these fan perceptions is that some wrestlers have superior mindsets, either generally or in specific circumstances. Brock Mauller has a dizzying array of high level techniques, but seems consistently reluctant to unleash them. That’s very different that saying he has to develop some offensive attacks. Watch guys like that in the practice room, or against significantly outmatched opponents (where they are supremely confident of success) and it’s obvious. That common trait amongst these extremely competent wrestlers who may struggle in competitive or high pressure situations is their lack of true belief in their own abilities, not an actual lack of ability. Thoughts?

Funny you say this because in a different thread I agreed Mauller needs to come up with his own offensive attacks.  When what I really think it is is that he is not nearly as comfortable with his own attacks as trying to use his opponent’s attacks against themselves.  Not Brock’s fault it was how he was taught from an early age and what he is more comfortable with but until he starts initiating his own attacks to keep his opponents more off balance or wondering it is going to be difficult.  I believe his attacks are adequate now but it doesn’t matter what I think or feel because I’m not the one on the mat. My choice of words were poor in the other thread.  He doesn’t need to develop his attacks as much as believe in them more.  When he does will open up a lot more opportunities for himself.  You are right, these kids know more moves and techniques than I ever will but when it is all on the line and one mistake could cost them they are definitely going to go with what is in their comfort zone.  This is where having a good room comes into play and doing it enough when who cares if you don’t come out on top that it becomes second nature and become comfortable in high leverage situations.

18 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

"What was your mindset(insert any benign subject here)..."

~Shane Sparks

I always try to get in a good mindset before posting.  JC & Wkn, who knows what they are thinking, pastry & tablo tables?  But get your mindset on!   🙂

Mindset is very important. I have a personal anecdote on this. I started wrestling in 4th grade, and built up my skills and confidence incrementally. It took a long time to have faith in my skills on the mat, and I wonder how many wrestling matches I lost over the years because I wrestled well known dudes and I let it get into my head that "I can't beat this guy, he's too good". But by the time I graduated HS I was an All State wrestler and owned a lot of big wins, even one over a national FS champ (albeit in a folk match). But there was this guy on my team who started wrestling as a freshman (when I was a sophomore). He had no idea he wasn't a good wrestler (he really wasn't that good), but the guy had an almost unbeatable mentality. He had a 27-3 record his first year, or something very near to that. Granted, that was the last year of Jr High back then, and against Jr High kids...but 27-3 in a first year is pretty damned impressive. The guy was a winner on the mat, somehow. His technique was rotten, but he was a great athlete and he thought he was going to destroy everybody on the mat. His success dropped a little in HS, but he was still winning 20 matches or more a year against just a few losses. I don't know how he did his Sr year, I'd graduated by then, but his Jr year he finished 5/6th at state. He didn't realize he was supposed to be struggling and just gave it all on the mat. 

Mindset is very important. 

On 11/25/2022 at 11:05 AM, Tigerfan said:

I don’t think anyone disregards mindset. Anyone who knows anything about wrestling knows that mentality is as important if not more than physical ability.  

Mindset, mental toughness, mentality, etc. are not easy for fans to observe.  You have to know someone to know their mindset.  That is why fans, rightly so imo, focus more on technical/physical analysis.

1 minute ago, Crablegs said:

I don’t think anyone disregards mindset. Anyone who knows anything about wrestling knows that mentality is as important if not more than physical ability.  

Mindset, mental toughness, mentality, etc. are not easy for fans to observe.  You have to know someone to know their mindset.  That is why fans, rightly so imo, focus more on technical/physical analysis.

It's easier to see a guy is jacked than if the guy has that "I can't be beaten" mindset, that's for sure.