Latin American freestylers at Worlds

peanut

In men's freestyle, Puerto Rico and Mexico had the biggest squads, with six athletes each. Puerto was led by silver medalist Sebastian Rivera, and their team includes NCAA champ Darian Cruz. Some notable performers for Mexico were Anthony Valencia, who placed 14th at 74kg, and Austin Gomez, who placed 22nd at the always-tough 65kg.

Colombia brought three athletes; Argentina two; and Cuba, Venezuela, Brazil, and Costa Rica one each.

Puerto Rico has the best men's freestyle team in Latin America. It's really too bad that Cuba is no longer what it once was.

In women's freestyle, Mexico brought the biggest squad with six athletes. Colombia was next with five athletes -- including a bronze medalist. Brazil, Venezuela, and Ecuador brought four athletes each -- and Ecuador had a bronze medalist. Cuba brought two athletes; and El Salvador and Puerto Rico brought one each.

All in all, it's great to see Puerto Rico doing so well in men's freestyle, and to see Mexico fielding such large teams in both men's and women's freestyle. Colombia's emphasis on women's wrestling was also a pleasant surprise.

28 minutes ago, peanut said:

In men's freestyle, Puerto Rico and Mexico had the biggest squads, with six athletes each. Puerto was led by silver medalist Sebastian Rivera, and their team includes NCAA champ Darian Cruz. Some notable performers for Mexico were Anthony Valencia, who placed 14th at 74kg, and Austin Gomez, who placed 22nd at the always-tough 65kg.

Colombia brought three athletes; Argentina two; and Cuba, Venezuela, Brazil, and Costa Rica one each.

Puerto Rico has the best men's freestyle team in Latin America. It's really too bad that Cuba is no longer what it once was.

In women's freestyle, Mexico brought the biggest squad with six athletes. Colombia was next with five athletes -- including a bronze medalist. Brazil, Venezuela, and Ecuador brought four athletes each -- and Ecuador had a bronze medalist. Cuba brought two athletes; and El Salvador and Puerto Rico brought one each.

All in all, it's great to see Puerto Rico doing so well in men's freestyle, and to see Mexico fielding such large teams in both men's and women's freestyle. Colombia's emphasis on women's wrestling was also a pleasant surprise.

Latin America?

The political status of Puerto Rico is that of an unincorporated territory of the United States. 

🤷‍♀️

Edited by ionel

At least Latin America includes a 65kg spot at the Olympics. 🫠 (Fwiw, i think we’ll have that spot secured pretty easily.)

Outside of recent success, I think a lot of resources and skills have trickled throughout the hemisphere thanks to the RTCs, and I appreciate that! For every Sebastian Rivera in Jersey or Darian Cruz in PA, I’m sure there’s four younger ones with the same name in Arecibo that will have more - and better - opportunities to wrestle in the future.

14 minutes ago, moodybooty said:

At least Latin America includes a 65kg spot at the Olympics. 🫠 (Fwiw, i think we’ll have that spot secured pretty easily.)

Outside of recent success, I think a lot of resources and skills have trickled throughout the hemisphere thanks to the RTCs, and I appreciate that! For every Sebastian Rivera in Jersey or Darian Cruz in PA, I’m sure there’s four younger ones with the same name in Arecibo that will have more - and better - opportunities to wrestle in the future.

Zain Retherford, World Champion. 

• Fire 1

On 9/23/2023 at 11:33 PM, ionel said:

So looking at the map, why isn't Florida Latin America?  Maybe Texas?  🤷‍♀️

No on Texas. The Great State allowed the US to be annexed to it. Also allows the US Flag to fly the same height as their great Flag of the Lone Star Republic.

Don't mess with  Texas.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

5 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

No on Texas. The Great State allowed the US to be annexed to it. Also allows the US Flag to fly the same height as their great Flag of the Lone Star Republic.

Don't mess with  Texas.

This makes sense, unfortunately my HS teacher did not teach proper History.