Nike closes landmark Portland Factory Store due to theft

mspart

I don't think keeping people angry has anything to do with it.  There is nothing wrong with people being concerned about high crime, no matter how it is in relation to the past.  No one can say that the areas people are talking about has low crime rate; thus, the need for conversation is definitely okay. Deflecting by saying, well it is lower than a previous time in history does nothing other than to deflect and/or argue with people.  If you don't think there is a problem in the areas in question, you may in fact be part of the problem.  

Again, what are the things each of these areas have in common?

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

I don't disagree that city prosecution numbers are down nor do I disagree that the left is the reason for it. Jails and courts have their purpose. 

Are we grossly over incarcerated?  Incarceration doesn't deter crime but it does, obviously, alter a criminals capacity to commit crime. 

But it also causes crime, because let's face it, once you've been incarcerated your shot at an honest, productive life is greatly diminished.

Plasi,

By not prosecuting crime, as you acknowledge, crime has soared.   It is a known fact that the majority of crime is committed by a few actors.   If they are incarcerated, their ability to commit more crime is diminished.   And thus for that time crime will go down due to their exploits.   I don't disagree with your last statement I quote above, but if they do another crime after they get out, back they go to the pokey.  

Incarceration doesn't deter crime?   I disagree.   It will as long as the bad actor is incarcerated.   He won't be committing crime which deters his/her ability to commit crime.   And no one wants to be incarcerated.   Horrible situation to be in.   So like we had in earlier  decades, crime is low when the criminal element knows they will go to the pokey if they are caught.   Right now, that is not the case.   They can get caught and not get prosecuted so there is no deterrent to crime by doing that. 

It's like the 16 year old I noted earlier or in another thread that was amazed by the judge holding him for armed robbery of Asians in their homes in Seattle.   He figured he'd get home detention.   Nope, staying in jail.   He was dumbfounded at this new (relatively new as in the last couple of years) situation of hard time for hard crime. 

mspart

2 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

Yes,  there are a few,  but in reality,  which has been the case since 1991, crimes rates nationwide and in cities, has been plummeting. 

But,  it's a good way to keep angry and uninformed people afraid.  If we can attach it to one oversimplified reason (libruls and Democrats) as a means to try to win elections,  all the better. 

I think THAT should be criminal,  especially of anyone selling themselves as "news."

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/murder-homicide-rate#:~:text=U.S. murder%2Fhomicide rate for,a 5.99% decline from 2017.

Screen Shot 2023-10-04 at 12.11.21 PM.png

TBD

What I am telling you is there is no DA in DC.  Although I am mostly busting your chops, DC is a poor choice to forward your narrative.  IMO

that would be a fair point had i not previously documented the exact same thing happening in every major city.

the point is, this is an agenda item pushed by the left and DC is no different.

Incarceration doesn't deter crime but it does, obviously, alter a criminals capacity to commit crime.  But it also causes crime, because let's face it, once you've been incarcerated your shot at an honest, productive life is greatly diminished.

this trope is so lame for so many reasons. first and foremost the virtue signaling sympathy for criminal and not the victim, who often has his/her life ended or ruined. 

in all facets of american life, the concept of personal accountability seems to be disintegrating. 

TBD

12 minutes ago, mspart said:

Plasi,

By not prosecuting crime, as you acknowledge, crime has soared.   It is a known fact that the majority of crime is committed by a few actors.   If they are incarcerated, their ability to commit more crime is diminished.   And thus for that time crime will go down due to their exploits.   I don't disagree with your last statement I quote above, but if they do another crime after they get out, back they go to the pokey.  

Incarceration doesn't deter crime?   I disagree.   It will as long as the bad actor is incarcerated.   He won't be committing crime which deters his/her ability to commit crime.   And no one wants to be incarcerated.   Horrible situation to be in.   So like we had in earlier  decades, crime is low when the criminal element knows they will go to the pokey if they are caught.   Right now, that is not the case.   They can get caught and not get prosecuted so there is no deterrent to crime by doing that. 

It's like the 16 year old I noted earlier or in another thread that was amazed by the judge holding him for armed robbery of Asians in their homes in Seattle.   He figured he'd get home detention.   Nope, staying in jail.   He was dumbfounded at this new (relatively new as in the last couple of years) situation of hard time for hard crime. 

mspart

I did not acknowledge that.  Crime definitely went down during the pandemic and then definitely shot up afterwards.  I'll reserve judgement until it stabilizes. 

What I do acknowledge is that we have too many people in jail.

Just now, Husker_Du said:

that would be a fair point had i not previously documented the exact same thing happening in every major city.

this trope is so lame for so many reasons. first and foremost the virtue signaling sympathy for criminal and not the victim, who often has his/her life ended or ruined. 

in all facets of american life, the concept of personal accountability seems to be disintegrating. 

My opinions are not even based on justice or virtue signalling.  It is impractical to incarcerate so many for so long.  And many scream for more.  Mass incarceration hasn't worked in the past, it is not working now and it is not going to work in the future.  It is a waste.

I agree personal accountability is gone.  Biggest  example of that is the leading candidate for president.  He just lost a lawsuit for sexually assaulting someone, he is in court rn to determine the punishment for his decades of fraud and he faces 91 counts of felony indictments.  His supporters - half the country! - don't blame him, they blame the deep state and a weaponized justice system!

52 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

murderers and rapists walk free b/c of these policies and sentiments, but go ahead and be childish and partisan. 

truly sad things are happening, as can be seen/read/watched all over the media everyday. but you do you to score points.

Give me an example of a murderer walking free and I'll explain why they walked as if you are five.

By partisan - do you mean that Trump's status in MAGA  something other than entirely unique in history?  There is no partisanship.  Just unbiased observation.  I didn't even mention J6. 

Less than 15 years ago a senator from MN rightly resigned because he took sexually inappropriate photos with a sleeping woman.  No nudity, no physical contact, probably not even a law broken.  You are worried shoplifters and drug addicts.

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

No dispute here and no need to "educate" the eggakator. 

Yes,  as an anomaly, the past three years have seen a temporary uptick in the homicide rate,  which I could tell you too.  HOWEVER, people are talking crime rates in this thread and all over Tattletale "News" and AM radio,  which have been in freefall for thirty years.  In fact,  the homicide rate was following the same freefalling trend as were overall crime rates over the same time period. 

Again,  it's a temporary blurb, and no indication of ANY trend,  as the homicide rate will resume its freefall again in short order. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

1 hour ago, Bigbrog said:

Wait for the spin after that post...

Only facts.  See above.

Edited by Ban Basketball

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Look no further than Inmate # PO1135809 and your support for his crime spree.

you not acknowledging that crime soared precisely after the elections wherein people ran on soft crime and no cash bail is why we're having this conversation.

your head is in the sand. 

False.  The rising homicide rate began in 2019.

35 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Give me an example of a murderer walking free and I'll explain why they walked as if you are five.

you realize with the mass migration to no cash bail that murder and rape suspects are walking the streets as they await trial?

you do know that correct?

35 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

By partisan - do you mean that Trump's status in MAGA 

no, i mean as in you have to be a full scale fucking moron to defend or deny what soft on crime policies are doing.

and you deny because it's literally the platform Dems run on to get the sympathy vote from woke idiots like yourself. 

that's what i mean by partisan. 

you won't acknowledge what's plain to see b/c you voted that way and/or sympathized. and there's no way you could have made a mistake, right? 

so juvenile. 

• Fire 2

TBD

3 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

False.  The rising homicide rate began in 2019.

oh, ok. i stand corrected. 

homicides skyrocketed in 2019. then there were elections in 2020 where every lib proudly ran on a platform of bail reform and soft penalties.

thereafter, with another gain in homicide rates, municipalities doubled their non-prosecution rates.

sounds brilliant. 

TBD

1 minute ago, Husker_Du said:

you realize with the mass migration to no cash bail that murder and rape suspects are walking the streets as they await trial?

you do know that correct?

no, i mean as in you have to be a full scale ***duck duck goose** moron to defend or deny what soft on crime policies are doing.

and you deny because it's literally the platform Dems run on to get the sympathy vote from woke idiots like yourself. 

that's what i mean by partisan. 

Again with the "sympathy" narrative.  Definition of crazy is doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results each time.  This is why conservatives resist change to broken systems.

You like clutching pearls, so knock yourself out.

7 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

oh, ok. i stand corrected. 

homicides skyrocketed in 2019. then there were elections in 2020 where every lib proudly ran on a platform of bail reform and soft penalties.

thereafter, with another gain in homicide rates, municipalities doubled their non-prosecution rates.

sounds brilliant. 

None of what you say is correct,  nor singular.  Trends also don't just happen overnight.

2 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Definition of crazy is doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results each time. 

god, i hate that. one of the worst lines of all time. and inaccurate. the only people that use it are people that think they're smart.

anyway - how am i the one clutching pearls? i'm clutching pearls b/c, quite literally rapists and murders and violent assault criminals walk the street and commit even more horrific crimes? you think that's pearl clutching or you think that perhaps those victims should have been served better?

the real pearl clutching is from people like you that say 'but but but jails don't do anything'

and then murmur something about shoplifting while yet again refusing to acknowledge that this applies to violent crimes.

i could list, ad nauseam, case after case where someone was awaiting trial or recently released early from prison who repeatedly committed more violent crime.

what in your beetle brain leads to conclude that violent, repeat offenders walking the streets is a good policy? 

TBD

2 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

None of what you say is correct,  nor singular.  Trends also don't just happen overnight.

everything in that post is true. 

but let's, for one second just say that it's not, or that it's immaterial...

are you saying that you agree with less % of violent crimes being prosecuted? 

b/c that's 1000% what's happening. 

TBD

1 minute ago, Husker_Du said:

i could list, ad nauseam, case after case where someone was awaiting trial or recently released early from prison who repeatedly committed more violent crime.

Yes -- takes less than 5 minutes.  

Although I don't play the stupidity game of "red state vs. blue state, " (whatever that means), but without looking and going by what has almost always been true, homicide rates are higher in red states than blue states. 

Those numbers have always perfectly tracked with homicide rates by firearms.  Much higher in red states. 

6 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

everything in that post is true. 

but let's, for one second just say that it's not, or that it's immaterial...

are you saying that you agree with less % of violent crimes being prosecuted? 

b/c that's 1000% what's happening. 

That would be false because of mandatory minimum sentencing guidelines.  The crimes are indeed being prosecuted, as or burgeoning prison population testifies to.