Twitter is better

jross

1 hour ago, jross said:

Monopolies often warrant regulation.

Agreed. 

I use Twitter for news, entertainment, education, and banter because it is where the monopoly of social media discussion occurs.  I do not go there for politics but politics is included in what the community discusses, and it's amplified.

I want regulations because Twitter has a monopoly on anonymous social discussion, and they used their mass power of influence to discreetly influence society in an underhanded manner.  This is harmful and dangerous.  

Had the right behaved the way the left did, I'd be just as frustrated with them.

I'm frustrated because of how the left behaved, not because of their views, many of which I share.

Twitter isn't a monopoly. There is competition with TikTok, Facebook, SnapChat, etc. Social Media is a plenty.

I heard a take on NPR yesterday morning,  and I'm wondering if it isn't right. 

Musk likes the limelight and self-promotion,  so he has now bought Twitter to use Twitter to get people arguing and debating on Twitter about Twitter. 🤔

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

2 hours ago, BobDole said:

Twitter isn't a monopoly. There is competition with TikTok, Facebook, SnapChat, etc. Social Media is a plenty.

You are probably right. Those companies see each other as competitors for advertisement dollars, and they steal features. 

Generally speaking, Twitter is unique because anyone can freely (& anonymous) discuss with or follow 300M global users without permission.  That is not Facebook.  It's not silly videos like TikTok and disappearing chats/images/vids like Snapchat.  When I was trying alternatives... I explored Counter Social, Gab, and Truth Social.  

Where is the ad revenue in that?   I'm sure there is some self serving uses for him but is it just possible that it will open up the site to more speech?   We used to say something to the effect that I may not like what you say, but I will fight to keep your right to say it.   Something like that.   Is that what we see today?   I don't think so.  

Twitter is a private company.  They can regulate speech if they want like people  have said here.  But they also want to say they are a free marketplace of ideas which is protected by federal law.   When they are no longer a free marketplace of ideas, that protection should likewise go away.   

mspart

Only gubment can abridge your free speech with subsequent repercussions. 

Edited by Ban Basketball

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

A space that says it is the market place of ideas (free speech) and runs it like that has full protection of US law against lawsuits.  When they start moderating content, that's when the US law no longer applies, Section 230 that is.

Essentially you are correct.   But if you believed Twitter and were erased because your content did not fit with their ideology, you would think that Twitter abridged your free speech rights.   Twitter quit being a marketplace of ideas years ago. 

mspart

2 minutes ago, mspart said:

A space that says it is the market place of ideas (free speech) and runs it like that has full protection of US law against lawsuits.  When they start moderating content, that's when the US law no longer applies, Section 230 that is.

Essentially you are correct.   But if you believed Twitter and were erased because your content did not fit with their ideology, you would think that Twitter abridged your free speech rights.   Twitter quit being a marketplace of ideas years ago. 

mspart

I don't think Section 230 works the way you think it does.

4 minutes ago, mspart said:

But if you believed Twitter and were erased because your content did not fit with their ideology, you would think that Twitter abridged your free speech rights.  

As someone who's been banned from rasslin forums more than everyone on here combined,  I can pretty much relate to this!

Never felt my speech was abridged because of what I said before,  but,  yeah,  my often times differing ideas led to most of them. 

On 12/13/2022 at 7:24 AM, Mike Parrish said:

Interesting paper.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-05542-y

COVID gets into a lot of organs and can persist long after the symptoms of the infection subside.

4 hours ago, mspart said:

mspart

Game Over No GIF by CBC

18 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Free speech, except if you tell people where I am at or heading. People still have no clue what free speech is, our educational system has failed some of us.

This is the guy you want to listen to if you really want to know what's going on, not a sugar coated version by those with financial incentives in your ignorance.

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

This is the guy you want to listen to if you really want to know what's going on, not a sugar coated version by those with financial incentives in your ignorance.

I'm a Nader fan,  but was troubled by the person with whom he was on the panel with,  Charles Murray.

28 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Free speech, except if you tell people where I am at or heading. People still have no clue what free speech is, our educational system has failed some of us.

Legislators all across the country who are prohibiting educators from discussing the "isms" and sexuality issues in classes are doing far more harm to educational free speech than anything that educators could ever dream of doing.