Penn State VS - Preseason Edition

nhs67

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Deeper with less holes?  Penn State has unprovens and unknowns at 125, 141, 149, 157, and 165.  They lost Nick Lee.  They are not deeper than last year.

Cornell is a clear underdog, yes.  Put some respect on their name.  They will 100% be right there with them, if they meet up.

I guess this will be another case where people like you will only realize it when the seasons over. You really think 125, 141, 149, 157 (Haines) and 165 are unknowns?? If so, I can’t argue with you.

if you know talent, you know it.  If you don’t, you sit and wait till end of year and then admit it. Either way it will play itself out. 

but you all can convince yourself of PSU/Cornell tying in a dual

1 minute ago, Pish said:

I guess this will be another case where people like you will only realize it when the seasons over. You really think 125, 141, 149, 157 (Haines) and 165 are unknowns?? If so, I can’t argue with you.

if you know talent, you know it.  If you don’t, you sit and wait till end of year and then admit it. Either way it will play itself out. 

FFS, it is still October.  They won't meet until mid-December, if they meet at all.  Did I miss your prediction for this dual?

Lighten up, Francis.

3 minutes ago, Pish said:

Cornell matches up well against the Lions.

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

4 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

FFS, it is still October.  They won't meet until mid-December, if they meet at all.  Did I miss your prediction for this dual?

Lighten up, Francis.

I’ve already posted. Switch 125 and 141 to PSU and 157 if Haines goes and that’s my prediction. It will be either a 12 or 18 point swing from the “tie” prediction. 

21 minutes ago, Pish said:

The reality of PSU is that they are a dominant tournament team as currently constructed, but only a very good dual team. If some of their unproven weights turn out (125, 141, 149, 157, 165) then they will also be a dominant dual team. But they are not proven, just full of potential at this point 

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

6 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The reality of PSU is that they are a dominant tournament team as currently constructed, but only a very good dual team. If some of their unproven weights turn out (125, 141, 149, 157, 165) then they will also be a dominant dual team. But they are not proven, just full of potential at this point 

That’s fair. And if it was Iowa or Mizzou they were predicting a tie, I would have just sat out of the discussion. But there’s no way a full lineup PSU ties a full lineup Cornell

38 minutes ago, Pish said:

Nobody is trying to convince anyone that it will be a tie.  You posted that it was a joke.

Many gents who are not fans of either, myself included, are trying to explain to you that NCAAs is not a dual.  In a dual, this could be very close.

You must not have paid very good attention over on the old forum. I am the Michigan schools then Michiganders then the B1G and my approach (for some time) has been that the better Penn State is the better it is for USA Wrestling.  I am about as big of a Cael nuthugger as you can get from a non-Penn State guy.

Also, what is incorrectly stated when saying that 125 (unproven), 141 (unknown and unproven), 149 (unknown), 157 (unknown if Haines, unproven if others), and 165 (unknown) are all.either unproven or unknown as NCAA D1 collegiate wrestlers?  Facundo wins it all?  I am sending many gents here a Cuban to celebrate with.  Berraclaugh AAs?  I am super stoked there too.  The others?  Same. 

Educate me how your prediction coming true and any of them proving themselves in 5-6 months time changes my preseason statement to be less true.

Edited by nhs67

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Nobody is trying to convince anyone that it will be a tie.  You posted that it was a joke.

Many gents who are not fans of either, myself included, are trying to explain to you that NCAAs is not a dual.  In a dual, this could be very close.

You must not have paid very good attention over on the old forum. I am the Michigan schools then Michiganders then the B1G and my approach (for some time) has been that the better Penn State is the better it is for USA Wrestling.  I am about as big of a Cael nuthugger as you can get from a non-Penn State guy.

Also, what is incorrectly stated when saying that 125 (unproven), 141 (unknown and unproven), 149 (unknown), 157 (unknown if Haines, unproven if others), and 165 (unknown) are all.either unproven or unknown as NCAA D1 collegiate wrestlers?  Facundo wins it all?  I am sending many gents here a Cuban to celebrate with.  Berraclaugh AAs?  I am super stoked there too.  The others?  Same. 

Educate me how your prediction coming true and any of them proving themselves in 5-6 months time changes my preseason statement to be less true.

ahh ... you mean Carl ... correct?

Actually I just wanted to be the first to mention Carl on the new board, hopefully that @Scribe scoundrel didn't beat me to it.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I'll answer as a PSU homer. At this point in Cael's coaching career it's expected.  Howard should AA, Bartlett finish no lower than 5th. Van Ness is the next Retherford at 49, Haines the next Nolf, Facundo should have a Mark Hall type of career.  PSU fans expect success.  There's no way Cornell should even compete with us.

I agree with everything you posted. Just offering the blue colored glasses point of view. 

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

13 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

I'll answer as a PSU homer. At this point in Cael's coaching career it's expected.  Howard should AA, Bartlett finish no lower than 5th. Van Ness is the next Retherford at 49, Haines the next Nolf, Facundo should have a Mark Hall type of career.  PSU fans expect success.  There's no way Cornell should even compete with us.

I agree with everything you posted. Just offering the blue colored glasses point of view. 

Yep and the anti PSU sentiment is that guys that haven’t wrestled a full season in college won’t compete for National Championships and it’s unheard of for freshman/true freshman to compete for national titles because they’re not “proven.”  

Taylor, Nico, Nolf, Bo, Cenzo, Hall, Starocci, Brooks, Suriano (if not for injury) all were in or won national championship matches as freshman but according to “the board faithful” they are just “unknowns”

Edited by Pish

4 minutes ago, Pish said:

Yep and the anti PSU sentiment is that guys that haven’t wrestled a full season in college won’t compete for National Championships and it’s unheard of for freshman/true freshman to compete for national titles because they’re not “proven.”  

Taylor, Nico, Nolf, Bo, Cenzo, Hall, Starocci, Brooks, Suriano (if not for injury) all were in or won national championship matches as freshman but according to “the board faithful” they are just “unknowns”

You are being very dramatic here.  You see that, right?

I never said they could not or would not.

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

You are being very dramatic here.  You see that, right?

I never said they could not or would not.

Weren’t you the one that just said you’d be giving out cigars if any of them got to finals?

or what is your benchmark for giving out cigars?  AA’s?  

Edited by Pish

This discussion is about duals, in any case.  Why bring up the very last potential matches of the season, which are in an individual tournament setting?

Just now, Pish said:

Weren’t you the one that just said you’d be giving out cigars if any of them got to finals?

No.  I said if Facundo did.  Read better next time and quit trying to be dramatic just to be dramatic.

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

No.  I said if Facundo did.  Read better next time and quit trying to be dramatic just to be dramatic.

My reading is fine. Go look what you wrote. You said something to the effect of “the others..same.”  Meaning I take it all of your unknowns you’d be giving out cigars. 

what is your benchmark to give out cigars for the PSU unknowns?

6 minutes ago, Pish said:

My reading is fine. Go look what you wrote. You said something to the effect of “the others..same.”  Meaning I take it all of your unknowns you’d be giving out cigars. 

what is your benchmark to give out cigars for the PSU unknowns?

'The others?' remark is clearly regarding them all AA'ing like I had said in regards to Berraclaugh's prospects - the comment directly in front of that?

As I said... read better.  Just because you can start drama doesn't mean you should.  Lighten up.

22 minutes ago, Pish said:

I consider myself to be a bigger PSU fan than @TBar1977 (albeit a more realistic one), and I would be willing to bet $100 that none of PSU's 125, 141, 149 or 157 make the final this year. 

If I win, the $100 goes to Nittany Lion Wrestling Club. If I lose I send $100 to a charity or wrestling club of your choice?

Mind you, I would be happy to lose this bet.

8 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

'The others?' remark is clearly regarding them all AA'ing like I had said in regards to Berraclaugh's prospects - the comment directly in front of that?

As I said... read better.  Just because you can start drama doesn't mean you should.  Lighten up.

Nah..no drama. Just responding to others. You should probably stick to predicting Michigan since that’s your squad. It’s clear you don’t k ow what’s going on in State College

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I consider myself to be a bigger PSU fan than @TBar1977 (albeit a more realistic one), and I would be willing to bet $100 that none of PSU's 125, 141, 149 or 157 make the final this year. 

If I win, the $100 goes to Nittany Lion Wrestling Club. If I lose I send $100 to a charity or wrestling club of your choice?

You would need to give odds since that’s a tall order. I’d take 5-1 if you’re giving it. The only one I think has a chance at finals is Van Ness and that’s no easy task. 

possibly Bartlett because it’s a weak weight

and no..he’s not beating Yianni

Edited by Pish

4 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

How about just a sig bet?  🤔  Ahh ... wait ... no ... nevermind.  😒

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Pish said:

You would need to give odds since that’s a tall order. I’d take 5-1 if you’re giving it. The only one I think has a chance at finals is Van Ness and that’s no easy task. 

possibly Bartlett because it’s a weak weight

and no..he’s not beating Yianni

That works for me. Your $20 to my $100?

And I pre-funded my lose.

image.thumb.png.b438138632ed2c9d0b7b82487a2a3f0d.png

• Fire 1