Budapest Ranking Tournament

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I don't think it really is at a ranking series tournament like this...

How many returning Worlds medalists were in the entire field, not including the USA?  Less than ten?

Overall, I don't know, but at 57kg, Iran and Georgia and Kazakhstan sent two wrestlers, and there was the Bronze at last year's World Championships, and none of those seven medaled. The World Champ jumped to 61kg and won Gold, while last year's Silver lost to Zane at Final X. Lots of Euro, Asian and U23 medalists and champs. 

Plug in a great Russian wrestler in the field and some suspect wrestlers from Morocco and Peru like you'd have at a World Championship--instead of the extra Irani, Georgian and Kazak wrestlers--and it may be about even. 

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I don't think it really is at a ranking series tournament like this...

How many returning Worlds medalists were in the entire field, not including the USA?  Less than ten?

Well, it is not the WC now is it.   Not everyone is going to show up.   But a ranking tourney is for those wanting seeds in the WCs so it will be tough than the Spanish Gran Prix lets say. 

Anyway, We should have had 5 golds if Dake and Taylor were there.   The other World Team members did well medalling. 

mspart

• Fire 3

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

Anyone else see this on the UWW page??? Last paragraph.

de014c53f563509d5dec6e266ac6ffed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The author is from India, so not sure why he’d have a bias for a Chechen.  

Happy Saturday...

Just saw Jacarra Winchester TF Mariana Dragutan of Moldova 11-0 and checked her ticket into the finals.

Looked strong in that bout... she'll be going up against Karia Godina Gonzalez of Canada in the finals.

D3

• Fire 2

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Wow... after a lengthy break for a challenge that USA's Johnson won (63Kg repechage bout), the Moldovan Ciobanu then head pinched him and proceeded to ragdoll Johnson  for 12 points and then pounced on him for the fall as soon as Johnson remained flat on his back.

Johnson is not getting up... injury for sure.

D3

Edited by D3 for LU
  • Fire 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

1 hour ago, D3 for LU said:

Wow... after a lengthy break for a challenge that USA's Johnson won (63Kg repechage bout), the Moldovan Ciobanu then head pinched him and proceeded to ragdoll Johnson  for 12 points and then pounced on him for the fall as soon as Johnson remained flat on his back.

Johnson is not getting up... injury for sure.

D3

That was the second ragdoll too. Got choked out and TF'ed and then won the challenge and then got to continue and got choked out and ragdolled a second time. He probably should have stopped the first time...

• Fire 1

Sincerely hoping, he's okay and recovered. But I wondered why the ref didn't check for signs of choking in the first place... aren't they aware of such actions?🙄  

D3

Edited by D3 for LU
  • Fire 1

Page-Rogers was cruising @ 9-2, then all hell broke lose!

She survived to take the gold w/ a 13-11 win... she was down on criteria 11-11 w/4 seconds left when she got a 2pt exposure... phew!

D3

• Fire 1

I'm looking at the bronze medal match on Mat C that has the women competing for "AIN"... on the scoreboard above her name the "flag" emblem is blank... her last name is Koshkina... could she be Russian competing w/o the flag?

That could very well be it.

D3

Edited by D3 for LU

4 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Okay... it's a region in France, BUT we've seen two women wrestlers w/ russian sounding names just now.

Coincidence?

I'm not so sure...  I'm suspect there's something going on, and the IOC codes have AIN for some designation OTHER than a region in France (just sayin'... )

D3 

2 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

Okay... it's a region in France, BUT we've seen two women wrestlers w/ russian sounding names just now.

Coincidence?

I'm not so sure...  I'm suspect there's something going on, and the IOC codes have AIN for some designation OTHER than a region in France (just sayin'... )

D3 

I'm not disagreeing Brother. Just throwin' out there what I saw...

• Fire 1

I know... it's just that, well... when was the last time you saw somebody competing for Jersey City in an international wresting event, eh? 😏

D3