Koll calling it like it is…

Idaho

9 hours ago, Idaho said:

Salted with some truth as well. Do you really think that the rich aren’t getting richer and able to buy their way to trophy contention every year? Despite the way Koll comes off he’s speaking what most wrestling fans know to be true. 

Coaches use rules to their advantage at every turn in every sport.  Ol' Finger Lakes Koll should know that.

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Coaches use rules to their advantage at every turn in every sport.  Ol' Finger Lakes Koll should know that.

Tired of these attacks on Cornell. Everyone knows he sent those kids to community college to help them with their education so they could graduate in 7 years.

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, TylerDurden said:

Since the NCAA began hosting DI championships, there have only been 11 different team champions. There have been five, one-time winners. Six schools have won 82 of the 87 titles that the NCAA has handed out. Nineteen schools have been runners-up and only nine of those 19 haven't won the title. 

NIL didn't do that. The transfer portal didn't do that. Wrestling has always been top-heavy and various methods have been used to get to the top of the heap. 

Koll is a smart guy, but he's spouting off with his sanctimonious nonsense to send a message (also lying) to recruits that he's not going to recruit over you via the portal (which he undoubtedly will, given the chance). Do you really think Koll is going to keep trotting out a team full of guys who can't win in the Pac 12? 

"Rich getting richer" means that it will get even worse than it was before. That's what the suffix "er" means.... more.  There is no doubt that a few teams have dominated over the years, which has been discussed on this board many times. The portal/NIL era has undoubtedly given those same teams an even greater advantage because of the money they have to get free-agents to fill weak weights.  I'm fine with Koll not winning pac-12 titles - probably means my team has a good chance to win it. Regardless, he brought up good points.... and bad points- like winning a team trophy in 2 years. Not sure that's happening.

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

9 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Sure..... but you used a bad example... that only applies to Ivies...Koll was only getting a redshirt year like every other school including Iowa. Not really getting an advantage there - more of a level playing field with the rest of the country. You know that. 

9 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Sure..... but you used a bad example... that only applies to Ivies...Koll was only getting a redshirt year like every other school including Iowa. Not really getting an advantage there - more of a level playing field with the rest of the country. You know that. 

The Ivies take pride in being about the academics over the sports and about competing with each other moreso than the rest of the nation.  That's part of their whole "thing."  He attacked a loophole.  It's fine.

9 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Sure, but offering the benefits of an Ivy education and Ivy aid packages with unique loopholes around Ivy rules.

33 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Sure, but offering the benefits of an Ivy education and Ivy aid packages with unique loopholes around Ivy rules.

Yeah I agreed and already said that.... "sure.... only applies to Ivies" 

35 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

The Ivies take pride in being about the academics over the sports and about competing with each other moreso than the rest of the nation.  That's part of their whole "thing."  He attacked a loophole.  It's fine.

Haha.... Patrick Glory was certainly okay with just winning a conference championship.  Yep, he jus put himself on par with the rest of the country. 

2 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

But Stanford is not about that. They are all about the little guy. 🙂

Post some examples about Stanford sports and them using NIL as an example of Stanford getting richer and being in contention for national titles as a result. 

4 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Yeah I agreed and already said that.... "sure.... only applies to Ivies" 

I disagree.  People might choose Cornell over a Big 10 school, because of the Ivy status. Envision a Meyer Shapiro type recruit.  This recruit wants the Ivy degree and the network that comes with it, but also has ways around Ivy rules and admissions standards.  Therefore it clearly 'applies to more than the Ivies.'

7 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Post some examples about Stanford sports and them using NIL as an example of Stanford getting richer and being in contention for national titles as a result. 

https://www.si.com/college/stanford/football/lifetime-cardinal-to-help-stanford-rejoin-the-rest-of-college-football-in-the-modern-era-with-nil-push

A little early in the game.  The collective has been around less than a year.

I'm sure that Koll will be a man of principle and not delve into the seedy universe of NIL!

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Idaho said:

So Stanford is a poor man's school. Gotcha. 

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I disagree.  People might choose Cornell over a Big 10 school, because of the Ivy status. Envision a Meyer Shapiro type recruit.  This recruit wants the Ivy degree and the network that comes with it, but also has ways around Ivy rules and admissions standards.  Therefore it clearly 'applies to more than the Ivies.'

Depends on the major.  Do you think a degree in Leisure Studies from Cornell is worth more than from Iowa?  What about Civil Engineering from Cornell or Yale versus Univ. of Illinois?  

10 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Yes.

Yes which?  Do you actually think a Cornell Civil Eng degree is worth more than from the #1 program in the nation?  Of course how many wrestlers have the time to go thru a rigorous engineering program?  

7 minutes ago, ionel said:

Yes which?  Do you actually think a Cornell Civil Eng degree is worth more than from the #1 program in the nation?  Of course how many wrestlers have the time to go thru a rigorous engineering program?  

Yes to both.

#1 in the nation, probably isn't worth as much as the same degree from an Ivy.  Yes, I know that UIUC engineering is great, but that Ivy degree and the connections that it brings are likely priceless,  (Not to mention if you want to branch out/switch fields....)

(And I was also going to mention that there are probably very few wrestlers in these programs)

• Fire 1

41 minutes ago, ionel said:

There have been a number of Cornell wrestlers in the College of Engineering.  Dom LaJoie, now a graduate transfer to Stanford, is but one recent example.  Hatcher is there now.

Cardenas, Foca, and Fernandez are in the Architecture College, which is no walk in the park.

35 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Yes to both.

#1 in the nation, probably isn't worth as much as the same degree from an Ivy.  Yes, I know that UIUC engineering is great, but that Ivy degree and the connections that it brings are likely priceless,  (Not to mention if you want to branch out/switch fields....)

(And I was also going to mention that there are probably very few wrestlers in these programs)

Wall Street Journal disagrees but ...

20 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Info from each school has the Cornell Civil Engineering graduate with a starting salary slightly higher than his UIUC counterpart.

Starting salary isn't everything, its what you do with you previous degree, previous job etc. once you get the foot in the door.

Edited by ionel

Koll is a bitter man. Everyone knows Penn State wins last year without a single transfer.

Moving forward, whether you like it or not, NIL and the Transfer Portal are here to stay. You can piss and moan about it, try to change the system or simply adapt and play the game as it exists. Coaches who adapt to the system will obviously have the best chance to be successful.

• Fire 1

20 minutes ago, ionel said:

Starting salary isn't everything, its what you do with you previous degree, previous job etc. once you get the foot in the door.

Exactly my point, and the Cornell network is going to be extremely helpful in this situation.

As far as "starting salary isn't everything," I would certainly agree, but it is about the only quantifiable data we have here.  Thus, unless you are aware of some other data points, I think Cornell wins this one.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

https://www.si.com/college/stanford/football/lifetime-cardinal-to-help-stanford-rejoin-the-rest-of-college-football-in-the-modern-era-with-nil-push

A little early in the game.  The collective has been around less than a year.

I'm sure that Koll will be a man of principle and not delve into the seedy universe of NIL!

This is a university wide effort, i.e  collective.... most school have them (if not all by now). Keep trying though. 

As a side note, this really isn't really an example of my question: "Post some examples about Stanford sports and them using NIL as an example of Stanford getting richer and being in contention for national titles as a result."