Men's and Women's Freestyle World Cup

Mike Parrish

On 11/15/2022 at 11:31 PM, mspart said:

Where is Taylor, Cox, Dake, Retherford, and Gilman?  I really do not like when guys miss this kind of opportunity.    I see that Zahid is wrestling for us so rumors he is going to Mexico that I've read about seem unfounded at this time.  It might happen but hasn't yet.  Good for those who have chosen to participate, world team or no.   I think any such opportunity is a great step in progress for anyone.  I wish I could be there.  

United States Men’s Freestyle World Cup Team
57 kg - Zane Richards, Champaign, Ill. (Illinois RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
57 kg - Nick Suriano, Ann Arbor, Mich. (Cliff Keen WC)
61 kg - Seth Gross, Madison, Wis. (Wisconsin RTC/Sunkist Kids)
61 kg - Daniel DeShazer, Minneapolis, Minn. (Gopher WC RTC)
65 kg - Yianni Diakomihalis, Rochester, N.Y. (Spartan Combat RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
65 kg - Evan Henderson, Bethlehem, Pa. (Lehigh Valley WC/Titan Mercury WC)
70 kg - Tyler Berger, Philadelphia, Pa. (Pennsylvania RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
70 kg - Alec Pantaleo, Ann Arbor, Mich. (Cliff Keen WC/Titan Mercury WC)
74 kg - Jason Nolf, State College, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC/Titan Mercury WC)
74 kg – Vincenzo Joseph, Tempe, Ariz. (Sunkist Kids)
79 kg - Jordan Burroughs, Philadelphia, Pa. (Pennsylvania RTC/Sunkist Kids)
79 kg - Chance Marsteller, New Park, Pa. (NYC RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
86 kg - Zahid Valencia, Tempe, Ariz. (Sunkist Kids)
86 kg - Mark Hall, Philadelphia, Pa. (Pennsylvania RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
92 kg - Nathan Jackson, Princeton, N.J. (New Jersey RTC/New York AC)
92 kg - Jay Aiello, Charlottesville, Va. (Cavalier WC/Titan Mercury WC)
97 kg - Kyle Snyder, State College, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC/Titan Mercury WC)
97 kg - Kollin Moore, Columbus, Ohio (Ohio RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
125 kg - Hayden Zillmer, Minneapolis, Minn. (Gopher WC RTC)
125 kg -Nick Gwiazdowski, Ithaca, N.Y. (Spartan Combat RTC/Titan Mercury WC)

mspart

need to give chance for new wrestlers. U.S. gonna win this world cup tho. Taylor, Cox, Dake have this title already 

Zahid is going to continue competing for the USA. It is his brother Anthony Valencia who is pursuing an opportunity with the Mexico national team - he was on tap to wrestle at Pan Ams for MEX before paperwork came into play late in the game. Anyone have any ideas where that stands at this point? 

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

3 hours ago, Spladle08 said:

Lol also note this team is extremely solid .

Missing a couple "top guys" but having their very capable backups, is splittin hairs .

Spoiled little children we are .

Yes, I guess so.   I just wonder at our team not taking advantage of more competition.   I understand injuries are always an issue (Taylor for instance) but World Cup is kind of a deal and yet we do not often see our complete World or Oly  team participate. 

I'm glad it is being held in the US.   That's good.

mspart

I'm honestly surprised Snyder isn't competing b2b at Farrell and World Cup. He has been a mainstay at Farrell practicing guts, grand amplitude f2b's, and Carl ankle picks for years now. Plus he competes at pretty much everything. Like, if they said he could go beat up on kids at Fargo I genuinely believe he would register for cadets tomorrow morning because he's that much of a gamer.

Yes, I guess so.   I just wonder at our team not taking advantage of more competition.   I understand injuries are always an issue (Taylor for instance) but World Cup is kind of a deal and yet we do not often see our complete World or Oly  team participate. 
mspart
That's fair but I mean, we've never taken advantage of opportunities to compete, we've mostly avoided ranking series events (as a country) but then complain when our athletes that don't compete arent seeded well.

I too would like to see our top guys compete every chance they get but the reality is they try to win when it's most beneficial to them and the fun events we get in between are just icing on the cake

5 hours ago, mspart said:

mspart

The US could be strong enough domestically in Freestyle where they really don't need to at this point and it doesn't hurt them. The in room competition might be better than everyone but like three or four internationals that aren't at whatever event anyways.

There is just being used to traveling and taking parts in tournaments that acclimation, but the US squad is pretty veteran and experienced. 

It's other styles that need out of country competition. The second best US guy at some Greco weights could be a tech loss against a non medalist from the field level.

• Fire 1

23 hours ago, Spladle08 said:

World Cup is kind of a deal and yet we do not often see our complete World or Oly  team participate. 

There was a time when the World Cup was a bigger deal than it is now.  I don't say that because of our lineup.  No issues with who's wrestling.  I didn't expect Gilman, Dake or Taylor to be there. 

• Fire 1

19 hours ago, MPhillips said:

There was a time when the World Cup was a bigger deal than it is now.  I don't say that because of our lineup.  No issues with who's wrestling.  I didn't expect Gilman, Dake or Taylor to be there. 

The thing people forget is that Taylor come onto the international radar as a world team backup who got some run at the World Cup and that’s when he pinned Yazdani in their first encounter. It’s not like missing starters is a new phenomenon.

• Fire 1

Well I know that we didn’t have a World Cup in 2020, and 2021. I also know that in 2019 we didn’t send our number 1 guys, however we were still able to take 3rd place. I know that in 2019 the World Cup was being held in mid March so I don’t know if our number one guys weren’t available or there was something else going on. Anyway I am looking forward to this event and it should be a lot of fun 
I got lucky and got to go see three World Cups in a row 2014, 2015, and 2016, when they were being held at the Forum in Inglewood, (Los Angeles). I saw a ton of super great matches at those events. One of my favorites was Brent Metcalf coming back to defeat Nasiri (Iran ) after being down a ton. It’s always fun rooting for Team USA, at these events especially when there are large spirited contingents of other fans especially the very vocal Iranians. 

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, MPhillips said:

No it isn't.

I was lamenting more on the World Cups of the past. It probably meant more because I was there.

Very jealous when did you go? I have three left on my bucket list (olympics, WC, Yaryguin) and I’ve had to miss 2 multiple times despite semi-favorable conditions because of work.