True that Cody Chittum will be a 21 yo true freshman?

1 minute ago, ionel said:

You must have missed the research part.  Nothing in that about personal preference.  Research has shown kids start learning at a very young age, if you hold them back from academics you set them back and reduce future potential.  Now that does not suggest a gap year would hurt or maybe not even a 7th grade repeat.  But holding them back from kindergarten, pre-school would.  Its obviously not an absolute as certainly some parents could be home schooling while held back at a higher level than kindergarten, 1st grade etc.  But how many holding kids back for wrestling, baseball etc are actually doing that?  The ones I saw mostly thought their kids were going to get a free ride to college.  College is about academics and learning so why would you do something to reduce their academic potential just to maybe save money on college when there's really no intent to go there for the academics.

Long response but if you don't believe the above I present my case study: the 3 Ferrari brothers😉

again...

anyone can find anything to support whatever beliefs they have on the subject...

• Fire 2

• 3 months later...

Holding a kid back to be a 15-16 year old Freshmen in HS in weird. It’s becoming common, yes, but that’s sad. I believe Cody couldn’t even wrestle his senior year because of his age, if I’m not mistaken. 

starting to see it in youth wrestling too. Parents holding kids back enough so they age out by the time they’re 8th graders. 

When I was growing up, it would be embarrassing to be that old as a freshman in HS. 

times change i guess, but it’s a bit ridiculous. 

• Fire 1

11 hours ago, BobBell said:

Holding a kid back to be a 15-16 year old Freshmen in HS in weird. It’s becoming common, yes, but that’s sad. I believe Cody couldn’t even wrestle his senior year because of his age, if I’m not mistaken. 

starting to see it in youth wrestling too. Parents holding kids back enough so they age out by the time they’re 8th graders. 

When I was growing up, it would be embarrassing to be that old as a freshman in HS. 

times change i guess, but it’s a bit ridiculous. 

Depends on how you look at it I guess.  (1) When will the kid start to mature? There are kids that are 85lbs as freshman in, and I personally know one that was 95lbs as a soph. (2) how is the kid on a mature level? many of these kids develop late and need an extra year at home or in highschool. (3) there is no difference to me, than the parents that start the kids late, and MANY are doing this today. I do not know many examples like Chittum, most that I know are graduating at 19. 

13 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

I personally am one.  Also, turned 19 during my freshman year college (entered at 18).

I was a 84lb 14 year old freshman and graduated HS at 17 didn't turn 18 until Oct my freshman year in college 

• Fire 1

On 5/10/2023 at 11:03 AM, JVStateChamp said:

I am not sure I fully understand the obsession with Chittums age, I have never heard of such a debate and uproar about the age of someone. I think the age of these high-level wrestlers may continue to be on the older side as holdbacks are becoming more popular. Just not sure of the relevance of his age.

This has been a topic of discussion in the wrestling world for quite some time, so not sure where you've been. Like you said, a good deal are held back to get a competitive advantage in high school. A lot of people find it unfair. 

On 8/14/2023 at 12:11 PM, pokemonster said:

This has been a topic of discussion in the wrestling world for quite some time, so not sure where you've been. Like you said, a good deal are held back to get a competitive advantage in high school. A lot of people find it unfair. 

Like I said a good deal of wrestlers have been held back for a competitive advantage. My point on the discussion is I never remember a time that the wrestling world fixated on one wrestler's age so much. Especially at a time when wrestlers are now wrestling for 6 years in college making them 25. My personal opinion is I believe the holdback/ grey shirt route actually shows no long-term advantage and possibly actually shows as a hindrance in the long run. 

10 minutes ago, JVStateChamp said:

Like I said a good deal of wrestlers have been held back for a competitive advantage. My point on the discussion is I never remember a time that the wrestling world fixated on one wrestler's age so much. Especially at a time when wrestlers are now wrestling for 6 years in college making them 25. My personal opinion is I believe the holdback/ grey shirt route actually shows no long-term advantage and possibly actually shows as a hindrance in the long run. 

Mark Hall’s age was talked about quite a bit IIRC.  Daton Fix a bit too, are 2 that stick out to me.