Respect

LJB

On 4/24/2023 at 9:40 AM, LJB said:

i reffed a couple of practice matches of his a couple of months ago...

he had already got back down to 315 by december...

he is a different type of human...

do not sleep on his chances...

so 315 in December.  What do you think he weighed when you reffed him a couple months ago, any lower?

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

20 minutes ago, mspart said:

I think the fact they seeded Rulon 6th is huge.  That is a lot of respect for a 51 year old.   It will be fun to see how he handles the young'ins.   Or not.

mspart

And a lot of disrespect for the rest of the field.

I don't know the rest of the field well, but Coon seems like the absolute worst draw Rulon could've had in the semis if Coon is sharp. However, if Coon continues to get caught "in between" high and low offense, Rulon could make Coon's life really difficult.

• Fire 1

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

47 minutes ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

I don't know the rest of the field well, but Coon seems like the absolute worst draw Rulon could've had in the semis if Coon is sharp. However, if Coon continues to get caught "in between" high and low offense, Rulon could make Coon's life really difficult.

Wouldn't he see Coon in the quarterfinals? Admittedly, I am unfamiliar with how they draw these brackets. 

1 hour ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

That is a good point Voice.    I can see that point of view perfectly.   I guess we'll see how well it is founded. 

mspart

13 minutes ago, mspart said:

Rulon will need to have a gas tank to go through all the matches he will have to go through.   I think it would be fantastic if he qualifies for WTTs. 

mspart

He already is qualified for the WTT by being a past Olympic/World champion.

Trip,

I don't see that category as a qualifier in the GR WTTs.   I think that is for OTTs.   It is last year's medallist is in final x.   Otherwise, WTT qualifiers are as below.   Based on what I see here, I think he will have to be top 7 at the US Open.    I am probably wrong, but I don't see any world champion in the past as a qualification here.  

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2023/April/21/Updated-WTT-qualifiers-as-of-April-21

130 kg
2021 Senior GR World Team member - Cohlton Schultz (Sunkist Kids)
2022 Senior GR National Team member No. 2 – Tanner Farmer (New York AC)
2022 Senior GR National Team member No. 3 – David Tate Orndorff (TMWC/Ohio RTC)
2022 U20 World GR medalist – Aden Attao (Suples WC)
2022 Bill Farrell International GR highest U.S. medalist – Donny Longendyke (Minnesota Storm)
2023 Senior Pan American Championships GR medalist -
2023 U.S. Open GR champion -
2023 U.S. Open GR runner-up -
2023 U.S. Open GR third place -
2023 U.S. Open GR fourth place -
2023 U.S. Open GR fifth place -
2023 U.S. Open GR sixth place -
2023 U.S. Open GR seventh place -
2023 U.S. Open FS top 7 placewinner** -

Non-World Championship weights
2023 NCAA Div. I champion at 285 – Mason Parris (Michigan/Cliff Keen WC)

** 2023 U.S. Open FS top seven placewinners will be added when registered for Greco-Roman

mspart

29 minutes ago, mspart said:

Trip,

I don't see that category as a qualifier in the GR WTTs.   I think that is for OTTs.   It is last year's medallist is in final x.   Otherwise, WTT qualifiers are as below.   Based on what I see here, I think he will have to be top 7 at the US Open.    I am probably wrong, but I don't see any world champion in the past as a qualification here.  

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2023/April/21/Updated-WTT-qualifiers-as-of-April-21

130 kg
2021 Senior GR World Team member - Cohlton Schultz (Sunkist Kids)
2022 Senior GR National Team member No. 2 – Tanner Farmer (New York AC)
2022 Senior GR National Team member No. 3 – David Tate Orndorff (TMWC/Ohio RTC)
2022 U20 World GR medalist – Aden Attao (Suples WC)
2022 Bill Farrell International GR highest U.S. medalist – Donny Longendyke (Minnesota Storm)
2023 Senior Pan American Championships GR medalist -
2023 U.S. Open GR champion -
2023 U.S. Open GR runner-up -
2023 U.S. Open GR third place -
2023 U.S. Open GR fourth place -
2023 U.S. Open GR fifth place -
2023 U.S. Open GR sixth place -
2023 U.S. Open GR seventh place -
2023 U.S. Open FS top 7 placewinner** -

Non-World Championship weights
2023 NCAA Div. I champion at 285 – Mason Parris (Michigan/Cliff Keen WC)

** 2023 U.S. Open FS top seven placewinners will be added when registered for Greco-Roman

mspart

Not to mention that they change it from time to time.

3 hours ago, mspart said:

Rulon will need to have a gas tank to go through all the matches he will have to go through.   I think it would be fantastic if he qualifies for WTTs. 

mspart

That is a different kind of conditioning.  Recovery is  slow at that age. Ask me how I know. Being fresh will be a problem. 

18 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Willie reported he was not at weigh-ins with 18m left and was apparently 20lbs over last night. Guess he didn't make it. 

Wow, this is disapointing. 

• Fire 1

For a brief period of time after Karelin stepped away, from about 2001 to 2002, Rulon was the best in the world. But Rulon was never the mythical unbeatable one his reputation grew into. There were wrestlers who dominated him in their h2h encounters. Rulon was vulnerable to the odd loss as well and did not do well against the next generation of, fairly mediocre by soviet standards, post soviet state successors.  

• Fire 1

On 4/24/2023 at 4:15 PM, mspart said:

Melvin Douglas came out of retirement and won a spot on the Olympic Team.   He was no 51.   But there was some rust.   I was at the US Open for that and he was fun to watch.   And he was funny.   He was very entertaining. 

mspart

Chris Campbell did the same and won a bronze.  I think he was 36.