Van ness

Kansasdeanhwt

1 hour ago, Pish said:

You’re very salty about a freshman who’s wrestled a total of 6 matches in college. 

Root for your guys. Why rain on others parade when they cheer on/excited for their own? Jealousy?  Don’t get it.   

you bring back this thread after two weeks to try to bring a kid down for winning his first college tournament

Claiming a freshman can beat everyone but Yianni generates discussion, and most of it will be disagreement. Not that hard to understand. 

Feel free to root for you guys - get excited for your guys, but just know that pre-mature hailing of a king does not go well on this board and nor should it. If SVN proves the statement correct, expect this thread to be resurrected from the other side. 

• Fire 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Here’s the thing. Not sure how this has spiraled. I like Van Ness. I don’t think he’s winning title this year but I do see him as AA. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him in final. 

I don’t see him beating Yianni. I can see him losing to a Gomez or Sasso in first meetings because they have funky styles that for the first time gives them advantage (Gomez with the upper body stuff and Sasso with the funk). I could also see him dropping a match here or there because he is offensive and can get sloppy.  

All that being said. My predication is AA this year and a multiple time champ for career. 

Edited by Pish
  • Fire 1

And as for my, “I’d take him over anyone but Yianni.”

I’m talking in betting terms, and I stand by that and would take those bets if anyone wanted to. Not sure why this is so outrageous 

So if anyone wants a little action against Van Ness I’m here for it. 

Edited by Pish

34 minutes ago, Pish said:

Here’s the thing. Not sure how this has spiraled. I like Van Ness. I don’t think he’s winning title this year but I do see him as AA. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him in final. 

I don’t see him beating Yianni. I can see him losing to a Gomez or Sasso in first meetings because they have funky styles that for the first time gives them advantage (Gomez with the upper body stuff and Sasso with the funk). I could also see him dropping a match here or there because he is offensive and can get sloppy.  

All that being said. My predication is AA this year and a multiple time champ for career. 

28 minutes ago, Pish said:

And as for my, “I’d take him over anyone but Yianni.”

I’m talking in betting terms, and I stand by that and would take those bets if anyone wanted to. Not sure why this is so outrageous 

So if anyone wants a little action against Van Ness I’m here for it. 

The point is your spiraling wildly off of results against nobody whose a relevant NCAA All-American wrestler.  The best wrestler he's faced is Johnny Lovett, who he beat 5-3.  Lovett's best result is, I believe, 2-2 at the NCAA tournament.  So when you view Van Ness' results (and your statement was made well before even the Lovett match) of beating the crap out of non-D1 All American types and proclaim things like "I'll take him over anybody buy Yianni".  Then, when it's followed by decreasing levels of dominance once the competition steps up slightly (because, again, Lovett is a tough solid wrestler, but hasn't come close to AAing as of yet, and Van Ness just beat him 5-3) and you stick with it with lines like  "I can see him losing to a Gomez or Sasso in their first meeting" as if the only way those two very high level wrestlers can beat Van Ness is because it's his first time getting a look at him, it's objectively hilarious.

Nobody is saying Van Ness can't AA or improve, even dramatically, by the end of the season.  Not being a national title threat at the beginning of your freshman year is not an insult.  The Van Ness we've seen so far is a solid underdog against Yianni, Gomez, Sasso, etc.

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

The point is your spiraling wildly off of results against nobody whose a relevant NCAA All-American wrestler.  The best wrestler he's faced is Johnny Lovett, who he beat 5-3.  Lovett's best result is, I believe, 2-2 at the NCAA tournament.  So when you view Van Ness' results (and your statement was made well before even the Lovett match) of beating the crap out of non-D1 All American types and proclaim things like "I'll take him over anybody buy Yianni".  Then, when it's followed by decreasing levels of dominance once the competition steps up slightly (because, again, Lovett is a tough solid wrestler, but hasn't come close to AAing as of yet, and Van Ness just beat him 5-3) and you stick with it with lines like  "I can see him losing to a Gomez or Sasso in their first meeting" as if the only way those two very high level wrestlers can beat Van Ness is because it's his first time getting a look at him, it's objectively hilarious.

Nobody is saying Van Ness can't AA or improve, even dramatically, by the end of the season.  Not being a national title threat at the beginning of your freshman year is not an insult.  The Van Ness we've seen so far is a solid underdog against Yianni, Gomez, Sasso, etc.

I guess you thought the same thing about Nolf, Bo, Zain, Starocci, Brooks, Taylor. 

I didn’t have to wait till they happened to wrestle a top 5 guy to know they’d be multiple time champs. I could tell they were special from day 1

so go ahead. Poke fun at every win, potential losses and then come back in March or the end of his career and see if I was right or wrong

Edited by Pish

8 minutes ago, Pish said:

I guess you thought the same thing about Nolf, Bo, Zain, Starocci, Brooks, Taylor. 

I didn’t have to wait till they happened to wrestle a top 5 guy to know they’d be multiple time champs. I could tell they were special from day 1

so go ahead. Poke fun at every win, potential losses and then come back in March or the end of his career and see if I was right or wrong

"THE ONLY WAY I CAN BE WRONG IS 5 YEARS FROM NOW!" is a fun way to debate.

31 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

The Van Ness we've seen so far is a solid underdog against Yianni, Gomez, Sasso, etc.

Amusing you threw Sasso's name in there when he already has a loss this season to a true freshman.  

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 hour ago, Pish said:

“Picking apart quality wins is the only way I can debate”

LOL.  Yes, thank you, we definitely do judge a wrestler based on their results, thanks for keeping up.

1 hour ago, PortaJohn said:

Amusing you threw Sasso's name in there when he already has a loss this season to a true freshman.  

Yianni just lost to Gomez, but I'm pretty sure most would pick Yianni to win if they wrestled tomorrow.  And Henson would be an underdog to Sasso, despite the win.

45 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

LOL.  Yes, thank you, we definitely do judge a wrestler based on their results, thanks for keeping up.

Yianni just lost to Gomez, but I'm pretty sure most would pick Yianni to win if they wrestled tomorrow.  And Henson would be an underdog to Sasso, despite the win.

Just admit you're depressed PSU has their next stud at 149.  It's ok.  If it makes you feel any better Levi Haines might be our next Jimmy Guillibon. 

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

3 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Just admit you're depressed PSU has their next stud at 149.  It's ok.  If it makes you feel any better Levi Haines might be our next Jimmy Guillibon. 

I'm not depressed at all.  I have no idea if he's that guy.  I can confirm that Iowa does not have their next stud at either 157 or 174, though.  For example, Kennedy looks fantastic, but I'm not going to pretend I think he's a future multitime champ or something.  We need to see him against elite level guys.

I once thought Brooks, Beard, and Nevills would garner six (6) NC betwixt them.

If you factor in the weight class during their eligible seasons and not the wrestlers I won't have been that far off with. Brooks, Dean, and Kerkvliet.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

8 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

If you factor in the weight class during their eligible seasons and not the wrestlers I won't have been that far off with. Brooks, Dean, and Kerkvliet.

You aren’t that far off with just Brooks

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Brooks was a “special” one. Nevills I never thought he’d win a NC. Figured him to be a AA type after a couple years.  Beard is a fun one but his gas tank always scared me. Wish him nothing but the best. Didn’t see his loss the other day. Surprised it was that lopsided. 

Penn State recruit Braeden Davis is probably way down the list of their recent commitments, but he won the Findlay Open this past weekend. He beat a top rated h.s. kid in the final, but more impressively he beat a 2x D2 National Champion in the semi final. 

https://www.trackwrestling.com/opentournaments/MainFrame.jsp?newSession=false&TIM=1669072831064&pageName=%2Fopentournaments%2FBracketViewer.jsp&twSessionId=wdhpkonmeh

Edited by Pinnacle

7 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

Penn State recruit Braeden Davis is probably way down the list of their recent commitments, but he won the Findlay Open this past weekend. He beat a top rated h.s. kid in the final, but more impressively he beat a 2x D2 National Champion in the semi final. 

https://www.trackwrestling.com/opentournaments/MainFrame.jsp?newSession=false&TIM=1669072831064&pageName=%2Fopentournaments%2FBracketViewer.jsp&twSessionId=wdhpkonmeh

I think he's good, but do you know anyone else in the bracket he won?