Can you predict your favorite team's lineup for next season?

flyingcement

8 hours ago, Bardamu911 said:

someone do ASU plz...

125- Figs

133- Yas

141- Vasquez

149- Parco

157- Teemer

165- Transfer

174- Valencia

184- Montalvo

197- Transfer/Meissner/Schunke

HWT- Schultz

Im intrigued by both Meissner and Schunke getting a shot at 197. I don’t think Teemer moves to 165 this year, but if he did, Larkin would be my pick at 157   

• Fire 1

On 3/25/2023 at 11:07 AM, Le duke said:

If Kasak is the real deal, PSU could be pretty tough.

125: Howard/Nasdeo/Davis
133: Bartlett/someone
141: Bartlett/Kasak
149: SVN/Kasak
157: Haines
165: Facundo
174: Starocci
184: Truax/Barr
197: Brooks
285: Kerkvliet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truax has committed to Penn State? And he's dropping down 13 lbs???

I must have missed something.   When did all of this occur?

16 hours ago, SunDevil said:

125- Figs

133- Yas

141- Vasquez

149- Parco

157- Teemer

165- Transfer

174- Valencia

184- Montalvo

197- Transfer/Meissner/Schunke

HWT- Schultz

Im intrigued by both Meissner and Schunke getting a shot at 197. I don’t think Teemer moves to 165 this year, but if he did, Larkin would be my pick at 157   

What are the odds that Schultz takes an Olympic redshirt?   What does ASU do for a heavyweight if that happens?

Truax has committed to Penn State? And he's dropping down 13 lbs???
I must have missed something.   When did all of this occur?

It’s a prediction thread.

Truax just announced he’s in the portal. He weighed in at 188 the second day of NCAAs.

If you want to transfer to a school that will help you win an NCAA title as a 184 or 197lb wrestler, Penn State has to be at the top of your list of options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I choose to make predictions on the current reality and not with wishful thinking and hoping.   But to each their own I suppose.  

At this point where Truax is actually going to go is 100 percent unknown.   Hell he could end up staying at Cal Poly.

I for one don't see him dropping down 13 lbs regardless of where he goes.   He has done nothing but go up in weight since he started wrestling in college.  He went from 149 his first year up to 165 lbs his 2nd year, then up to 174 lbs his 3rd year, then up to 184 lbs his 4th year and up to 197 lbs this last season.  And this last season was his best record to date (18-3 at 197 lbs).

I choose to make predictions on the current reality and not with wishful thinking and hoping.   But to each their own I suppose.  
At this point where Truax is actually going to go is 100 percent unknown.   Hell he could end up staying at Cal Poly.
I for one don't see him dropping down 13 lbs regardless of where he goes.   He has done nothing but go up in weight since he started wrestling in college.  He went from 149 his first year up to 165 lbs his 2nd year, then up to 174 lbs his 3rd year, then up to 184 lbs his 4th year and up to 197 lbs this last season.  And this last season was his best record to date (18-3 at 197 lbs).

Your post might make sense if Truax was a full-feed 197. Reality is he was only three pounds over 184+1 on day two if this year’s tourney.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

33 minutes ago, NearFall said:

Guy.

You have trouble reading or something?

Truax is well under the 197lb limit without even cutting.  Day 2 he weighed in at 188lbs, 10lbs under the 197+1 limit.  I personally talked to some of the Cal Poly squad at our hotel that morning and they said he was under 190 with warmups on.

His 18-3 record this season was his best, yes, but he also missed a very large stretch of it where he would have had competitive matches.  I would have put money on him having more wins and the same losses either way, though.  The same can be said for each season too, fwiw.

Also, also, his first year midway through the season he went to 157, so it isn't like he ballooned from 149 to 165 in one offseason.  He was already having to cut to get to 157 by the end of that season.

Also, also, also, his tweet says he will be looking in to a number of graduate schools for his last year of eligibility.  No mention of staying at Cal Poly for it.

• Fire 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

47 minutes ago, NearFall said:

He weighed in at 189 for one of the tournaments this year. Could easily be a 184 next year. 
Many times you have made predictions on the ASU lineup. Many times you have said certain guys who were transferring would be a great fit for ASU such as Griffith.  No different. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I’m sure Truax’s goal is to win a national title. His best chance of doing that is to go whatever weight Brooks is not going. I have no idea which one that would be, but if he went to PSU, he would figure it out a lot quicker and get ready for that weight. That said I hope he doesn’t go there… the rich don’t need to get any richer lol

• Fire 2

8 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

Both great questions? 

Honestly something like this may depend on how good Coon looks in his return this International season.

He could breeze through a high AA and whoever we have if Coon isn't near the form he was.  There is nobody else who could potentially be close to him.

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Honestly something like this may depend on how good Coon looks in his return this International season.

He could breeze through a high AA and whoever we have if Coon isn't near the form he was.  There is nobody else who could potentially be close to him.

Think it mostly depends on if he wants to be older than Tanner Hall when he exhausts his eligibility. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

Think it mostly depends on if he wants to be older than Tanner Hall when he exhausts his eligibility. 

Tanner Hall was 42 years old and left one year on the table.

What are you insinuating?

6 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

If Schultz took the Olympic redshirt. He would have 3 years of eligibility remaining after being in college for 4 years. 

Schultz has used two seasons if you are talking about taking an ORS next season. Last year and this year both counted so no way he could have 3 years left. 

ASU could get Nevills or the heavyweight from Harvard. It is pretty easy to get into grad school at ASU. Even easier to get admitted as an undergrad. There wouldn't be a huge drop off if they picked somebody like that up while Schultz goes for the Olympics. But we will see how things shake out in Vegas.

• Fire 2

On 3/25/2023 at 5:00 PM, BigRedFan said:

Penn:  Ferrante, Zapf, Artalona, and Goldin are out of eligibility.

Princeton loses their only real NCAA threats (Glory and Monday).  They have Marc-Anthony McGowan and Tyler Vazquez as big recruits.

Columbia loses Kazimir and Fongaro; most of the starters will be back.

Army/Navy/Columbia/Penn have no or lower-ranked class of 2023 recruits.

Navy should have Wask (#22) coming in from NAPS - Penn will have Cosgrove (#39) coming in at 197 - he will contend with Urbas for the starting spot.  Army has a good class coming in this year but I don't know if any will go diectly to WP or if they are going to MAPS.

Since I don't see where anyone else has put together a projected 2024 lineup here for Cal Poly I will try to do just that.  However I'm sure someone closer to the Cal Poly program could very easily do better.   It's important to note that Cal Poly had half of their lineup compete at this year's NCAA tournament, i.e., they are a relevant wrestling program despite what some people believe.  And they have absolutely improved dramatically in the last two years.

RETURNING STARTERS LISTED IN BOLD PRINT

125 - Antonio Lorenzo - 2024 RS JR - 8-10 at 125 lbs in 2023 - Placed 3rd at 2023 PAC 12 tournament - NCAA qualifier

133 - T.B.D. (transfer portal maybe)

141 - Lawrence Saenz - 2024 RS SR - 11-8 at 141 lbs in 2023 - Placed 3rd at 2023 PAC 12 tournament

149 - T.B.D. (again T.P. maybe)

157 - Luka Wick - 2024 RS SO - 14-12 at 157 in 2023 - 2023 PAC 12 runner-up at 157 lbs (did not compete at NCAA's)

165 - Legend Lamer - 2024 RS JR - 12-11 at 165 lbs in 2023 - Placed 3rd at 2024 PAC 12 tournament

174 - Could be any of at least five guys including the 170 lbs CA 2023 State champ (Luke Condon).  Other possibilities include Jarad Priest who split time between 184 and 174 and Kendall LaRosa (who went 7-3 in 2023) or a 4 time Oregon H.S. State champ (Daschle Lamer).

184 - Adam Kemp - 2024 6th year SR (if he returns) - 1-3 at 184 lbs in 2023.   His 3 losses were to guys ranked by WS as # 4, # 9 and # 13 (all by Dec.) or Tyler Hodges - True FR (5th at 2023 CA State tournament at 182 lbs).  His last match last season was on Dec. 20th, 2022.

197 - With Bernie Truax in the T.P. it's anyone's guess who Cal Poly will have at 197 next season.  Maybe another T.P. case?

285 - Trevor Tinker - 2024 - 2024 RS JR - 15-10 at 285 lbs in 2023 - 2023 PAC 12 runner-up at 285 lbs - NCAA qualifier

Bottom line is roughly half of the lineup for Cal Poly for 2024 appears to be undetermined at this point.  My guess would be they are going to be very active in the transfer portal this off-season.

Edited by NearFall
correction

1 hour ago, NearFall said:

Since I don't see where anyone else has put together a projected 2024 lineup here for Cal Poly I will try to do just that.  However I'm sure someone closer to the Cal Poly program could very easily do better.   It's important to note that Cal Poly had half of their lineup compete at this year's NCAA tournament, i.e., they are a relevant wrestling program despite what some people believe.  And they have absolutely improved dramatically in the last two years.

RETURNING STARTERS LISTED IN BOLD PRINT

125 - Antonio Lorenzo - 2024 RS JR - 8-10 at 125 lbs in 2023 - Placed 3rd at 2023 PAC 12 tournament - NCAA qualifier

133 - T.B.D. (transfer portal maybe)

141 - Lawrence Saenz - 2024 RS SR - 11-8 at 141 lbs in 2023 - Placed 3rd at 2023 PAC 12 tournament

149 - T.B.D. (again T.P. maybe)

157 - Luka Wick - 2024 RS SO - 14-12 at 157 in 2023 - 2023 PAC 12 runner-up at 157 lbs (did not compete at NCAA's)

165 - Legend Lamer - 2024 RS JR - 12-11 at 165 lbs in 2023 - Placed 3rd at 2024 PAC 12 tournament

174 - Could be any of at least five guys including the 170 lbs CA 2023 State champ (Luke Condon).  Other possibilities include Jarad Priest who split time between 184 and 174 and Kendall LaRosa (who went 7-3 in 2023) or a 4 time Oregon H.S. State champ (Daschle Lamer).

184 - Adam Kemp - 2024 6th year SR (if he returns) - 1-3 at 184 lbs in 2023.   His 3 losses were to guys ranked by WS as # 4, # 9 and # 13 (all by Dec.) or Tyler Hodges - True FR (5th at 2023 CA State tournament at 182 lbs).  His last match last season was on Dec. 20th, 2022.

197 - With Bernie Truax in the T.P. it's anyone's guess who Cal Poly will have at 197 next season.  Maybe another T.P. case?

285 - Trevor Tinker - 2024 - 2024 RS JR - 15-10 at 285 lbs in 2023 - 2023 PAC 12 runner-up at 285 lbs - NCAA qualifier

Bottom line is roughly half of the lineup for Cal Poly for 2024 appears to be undetermined at this point.  My guess would be they are going to be very active in the transfer portal this off-season.

You bring up some good sfuff, actually.

Cal Poly made some moves with their roster and Dom Demas coming in to set them to succeed specifically in a dual format.  It worked and they won the PAC12 Dual Meet Championship.

This said, they wrestled up two weight classes in most scenarios. 

They have a some good Frosh coming off shirt down in the 125-141 range.  Maybe we see Lorenzo at 125 or 133 or maybe we don't.  If we don't, then that means they are sitting pretty there because I wouod expect Lorenzo to contend for low AA/R12 honors next season.

They also have Saenz at 141 who does have a year left, however it is his 'bonus' year so who knows.  He also has wrestled everywhere from 133-149 in his career, so does he take the NC State approach to his extra year to eat and be happy going 149 or does he drop to 133 and try to contend for a PAC12 title?

The meat and potatoes of the group has all been up at least one weight, if not two.

Legend Lamer - 149 to 165 amd always seemed outmatched via muscle and size.  If he were to drop back to 149, he could contend for a title.

Luka Wick - Reminds me of Evan-lite.  Does he stay 157 or go 165 in an attempt to settle in to a permanent senior level weight?  157lbers seemed to muscle him around a bit much last year, so 165lbers would brutalize him.

Jarad Priest - A 174lber through and not a large one.  He did go 184 and was well undersized when doing so.  Can he drop to 165?  He would be a favorite at 165 in the PAC12 if so - IF Griffith bolts for the B1G somewhere.

Adam Kemp - Injury riddled and a free year left.  I say he goes wherever he is comfortable ot hangs them up.

Bernie Truax IV - If he stays, let him go whatever weight he wants.  If Brooks goes 197 he should go 184 regardless of where he attends.

Trevor Tinker - He is a solid 250lb HWT.  It would be nice to lean out and add muscle so he can contend with thr athletes at 285 as well.

To me this is their peak performance lineup:

125 - Lorenzo

133 - Saenz

141 - Committee Until Settled

149 - Lamer

157 - Wick

165 - Kemp

174 - Priest

184 - Truax

197 - Committee Until Settled

285 - Tinker

For duals they have some supremely talented true frosh coming in around 170 so perhaps bump Truax anf Priest for the PAC12 Duals.

That lineup likely wins PAC12 duals again and scores more individually than this last season at PAC12 Individuals and NCAAs.

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

You bring up some good sfuff, actually.

Cal Poly made some moves with their roster and Dom Demas coming in to set them to succeed specifically in a dual format.  It worked and they won the PAC12 Dual Meet Championship.

This said, they wrestled up two weight classes in most scenarios. 

They have a some good Frosh coming off shirt down in the 125-141 range.  Maybe we see Lorenzo at 125 or 133 or maybe we don't.  If we don't, then that means they are sitting pretty there because I wouod expect Lorenzo to contend for low AA/R12 honors next season.

They also have Saenz at 141 who does have a year left, however it is his 'bonus' year so who knows.  He also has wrestled everywhere from 133-149 in his career, so does he take the NC State approach to his extra year to eat and be happy going 149 or does he drop to 133 and try to contend for a PAC12 title?

The meat and potatoes of the group has all been up at least one weight, if not two.

Legend Lamer - 149 to 165 amd always seemed outmatched via muscle and size.  If he were to drop back to 149, he could contend for a title.

Luka Wick - Reminds me of Evan-lite.  Does he stay 157 or go 165 in an attempt to settle in to a permanent senior level weight?  157lbers seemed to muscle him around a bit much last year, so 165lbers would brutalize him.

Jarad Priest - A 174lber through and not a large one.  He did go 184 and was well undersized when doing so.  Can he drop to 165?  He would be a favorite at 165 in the PAC12 if so - IF Griffith bolts for the B1G somewhere.

Adam Kemp - Injury riddled and a free year left.  I say he goes wherever he is comfortable ot hangs them up.

Bernie Truax IV - If he stays, let him go whatever weight he wants.  If Brooks goes 197 he should go 184 regardless of where he attends.

Trevor Tinker - He is a solid 250lb HWT.  It would be nice to lean out and add muscle so he can contend with thr athletes at 285 as well.

To me this is their peak performance lineup:

125 - Lorenzo

133 - Saenz

141 - Committee Until Settled

149 - Lamer

157 - Wick

165 - Kemp

174 - Priest

184 - Truax

197 - Committee Until Settled

285 - Tinker

For duals they have some supremely talented true frosh coming in around 170 so perhaps bump Truax anf Priest for the PAC12 Duals.

That lineup likely wins PAC12 duals again and scores more individually than this last season at PAC12 Individuals and NCAAs.

I am as big of a Lamer fan as anyone - dad Chad was a 3x national champion at SDSU. Not sure that Legend is a title contender at 149 though. Maybe a PAC-12 title but I don't even see that as likely with Parco there.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Gus said:

I am as big of a Lamer fan as anyone - dad Chad was a 3x national champion at SDSU. Not sure that Legend is a title contender at 149 though. Maybe a PAC-12 title but I don't even see that as likely with Parco there.

I think Parco is a favorite, however I do think Lamer made some leaps last offseason that weren't quite evident due to the double weight jump.

Weight classes exist for a reason and if he drops to 149 I expect him to reinforce that concept.