The Missouri Open (Tiger Style Invite)

ILLINIWrestlingBlog

Wanted to see what folks have to say about tomorrow's event, what people think of the Maryland wrestling wear, and provide some ILLINI info.

First, ILLINI starters Maximo Renteria (125) and Danny Pucino are out. They suffered injuries at the MSU Open. 

Second, Maryland? Are they still wearing those outfits that look like something you'd see the sorority sisters wearing at a ΚΔ slumber party?

Third, looks like the 165, 174, 149 and 197 brackets will be super solid. Cal Poly is pretty solid. Are there as many Lamers as there are Mattins? I hate Mizzou, but they're super solid. 

Clear the mats!

59 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Third, looks like the 165, 174, 149 and 197 brackets will be super solid. Cal Poly is pretty solid. Are there as many Lamers as there are Mattins? I hate Mizzou, but they're super solid. 

Clear the mats!

Link to brackets?

• Fire 1

Since this is listed as an "open" tournament, will unattached wrestlers be competing?    Looking forward to seeing early season competition and adding some strong backups could make the competition even more exciting!  Go MIZZOU!

Edited by Mizzou Fan

Just now, Mizzou Fan said:

Since this is listed as an "open" tournament, will unattached wrestlers be competing?    Looking forward to seeing early season competition and adding some strong backups could make the competition even more exciting!

Doesn't everyone wrestle attached at this point?

26 minutes ago, FD1W said:

Cardani also absent from entries and wasn’t at MSU Open last weekend.

usual explanation of weight and/or injury?

Recovering from surgery. Should be available later in the season. I've seen him at practice (don't know how much the doctors are still limiting him), but hopefully he'll be back soon. Cheers!

• Fire 1

22 minutes ago, Mizzou Fan said:

Since this is listed as an "open" tournament, will unattached wrestlers be competing?    Looking forward to seeing early season competition and adding some strong backups could make the competition even more exciting!  Go MIZZOU!

21 minutes ago, ionel said:

Doesn't everyone wrestle attached at this point?

First semester freshmen can ONLY be attached, upperclass not neccesarily.

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, jross said:

What matches are people looking forward to?  

I'm looking forward to the 197 bracket with Rocky Elam, Bernie Truax and Zac Braunagel. Michael O'Malley, Peyton Mocco and Edmond Ruth at 174. Lucas Byrd ragdolling everyone at 133 because he's pissed off, the 165 semis, and Brock Mauller versus Kevin Davenport. Cheers!

• Fire 2

28 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

I'm looking forward to the 197 bracket with Rocky Elam, Bernie Truax and Zac Braunagel. Michael O'Malley, Peyton Mocco and Edmond Ruth at 174. Lucas Byrd ragdolling everyone at 133 because he's pissed off, the 165 semis, and Brock Mauller versus Kevin Davenport. Cheers!

From what I have understood, along with the wrestler list, Rocky isn’t wrestling this weekend. 

• Fire 1

22 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Cal Poly, Drexel, Illinois, Little Rock, Maryland, Missouri. 

Interested in seeing these guys

Demas, Wick, Lamer x2, Kemp

Ruth, Braunagel x2

Most of Missouri

Michael O'Malley

Kemp is not registered and it appears Brawley went from 157 to 184.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Kemp is not registered and it appears Brawley went from 157 to 184.

Unless he was already a huge dude, I can't imagine someone making such a jump in weight.  For Wittlake going from 165 to 184, they say his offseason weight this year was nearly 200.  So seems like he was doing ridiculous cuts to make 165.  

• Fire 1