Buckeyes for 2023/2024

Can't argue with you MPhillips.  If you were to pick an upset besides Geog who I'm not sure is an upset pick any other picks?

Fenton beat McCrone at Ironman in a match full of scrambles.  I think McCrone is too long for Kilkeary and I am taking Fenton over McCrone and Kilkaery over Fenton.  We need a round robin on this weight class.

• Fire 1

Also, Shumate should be held with pretty decent expectations.  He beat Rutger's Poznanski (former 4th place AA) via a 7-6 Decision at the same tournament that Poznanski beat Michigan's Rogers via a 5-2 Decision.

Unless he struggles tremendously or Hoffman soundly beats Geog and stays healthy and forces Geog down, I don't see anyone else starting for them at 184lbs this season.  Sans injuries, mind you.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Welsh get some spot starts in duals, if Shumate needs a break.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

7 minutes ago, GeneYus said:

Where can these numbers be found? Gonzales ~149? Is he wrestling off at 133?

Trackwrestling -> Browse -> Seasons -> 2023-24 College Men -> NCAA -> Teams -> Ohio State -> Roster

All it simply means is that when he weighed in for certifying he weighed between 141.1 and 149.0.  He could have been 141.2lbs at the time and that could have been a month ago - or longer.

7 hours ago, GeneYus said:

According to Jaggers, Hoffman is going down to 184. 

Also that Hoffman is, "on his own Vision Quest." Mendez wrestling at Bill Farrell. Hepner and Kharchla with slight injuries. Bouzakis has matured a lot.  Sammy is nine months out from even thinking about any long range plans. Excited for Feldman...

• Fire 1

Wrestle Off

125 Brendan McCrone (R-So./Scarlet) def. Peyton Fenton (Fr./Gray) | D, 3-0 3 0
133 No. 9 Nic Bouzakis (R-Fr./Gray) def. Andre Gonzales (R-So./Scarlet) | D, 7-6 3 3
141 No. 8 Jesse Mendez (So./Scarlet) def. Brandon Cannon (Fr./Gray) | D, 5-2 6 3
149 No. 6 Dylan D'Emilio (R-Sr./Gray) def. Gavin Brown (R-Fr./Scarlet) MD, 11-2 6 7
157 No. 16 Paddy Gallagher (R-So./Scarlet) def. TJ Schierl (Fr./Gray) | TF, 15-0 11 7
165 Isaac Wilcox (Sr./Scarlet) def. Carter Chase (R-Fr./Gray) | SV, 6-1 14 7
184 No. 22 Seth Shumate (R-Fr./Scarlet) vs. Ryder Rogotzke (Fr./Gray) | D, 13-8 17 7
197 Luke Geog (R-Fr./Gray) def. Mike Misita (R-So./Scarlet) | MD, 19-5 17 11
HWT No. 20 Nick Feldman (R-Fr./Gray) def. Hogan Swenski (R-So./Scarlet) | TF, 20-4 17 16

18 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Wrestle Off

133 No. 9 Nic Bouzakis (R-Fr./Gray) def. Andre Gonzales (R-So./Scarlet) | D, 7-6 3 3
141 No. 8 Jesse Mendez (So./Scarlet) def. Brandon Cannon (Fr./Gray) | D, 5-2 6 3
149 No. 6 Dylan D'Emilio (R-Sr./Gray) def. Gavin Brown (R-Fr./Scarlet) MD, 11-2 6 7
157 No. 16 Paddy Gallagher (R-So./Scarlet) def. TJ Schierl (Fr./Gray) | TF, 15-0 11 7
184 No. 22 Seth Shumate (R-Fr./Scarlet) vs. Ryder Rogotzke (Fr./Gray) | D, 13-8 17 7
HWT No. 20 Nick Feldman (R-Fr./Gray) def. Hogan Swenski (R-So./Scarlet) | TF, 20-4 17 16

Thanks for updates.

• Fire 1

49 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Wrestle Off

What happened at 174?

Kharchla is hurt right now.  Mild injury, apparently?  Although if it is from U23s, it looked more than mild... especially if he is still rehabbing/recovery.

If the plan is for Hoffman to go down to 184, why wouldn't Shumate go up to 197 now?  He can always drop again next season after Hoffman is gone (or perhaps Welsh goes up to 184 next year and takes the spot?).

45 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

If the plan is for Hoffman to go down to 184, why wouldn't Shumate go up to 197 now?  He can always drop again next season after Hoffman is gone (or perhaps Welsh goes up to 184 next year and takes the spot?).

Because the gap between Geog and Shumate is LARGE. 184 is his best chance to make the lineup. He doesn't have the frame for 197.

Edited by GeneYus

17 minutes ago, GeneYus said:

Because the gap between Geog and Shumate is LARGE. 184 is his best chance to make the lineup. He doesn't have the frame for 197.

Are you saying the gap between Shumate and Hoffman (former AA at 197) is less than the gap between Shumate and Geog?

1 minute ago, GeneYus said:

Do you think he decided to drop to 184, a weight he hasn’t wrestled in ages, because he thought he could win the 197 spot? 

Really not sure what you are saying here as your comment is kind of all over.  Who hasn't wrestled 184 in ages?  Shumate?  Hoffman?

I very much doubt Hoffman dropping to 184 has anything to do with Geog or Shumate and more to do with him having a much higher chance at a NC (or at the very least a high AA) at 184 this year than at 197.

If you are referring to Shumate... he wrestled 184 last year.  He beat Poznanski last year at 184.

Sorry, I couldn’t use crayons and pictures for you. We’re talking Hoffman. He likely wasn’t beating Geog and he knew it. You’re correct about his best chance to AA is at 184. I think it’ll be tough for OSU to AA at 197 regardless of who’s wrestling. 

• Latest Rankings

• College Commitments

Samantha Miller

Parkersburg South via Mount Olive, West Virginia
    Class of 2024
    Committed to McKendree (Women)
    Projected Weight: 109

Brooke Kennedy

Union County, Georgia
    Class of 2024
    Committed to Montreat (Women)
    Projected Weight: 191