2023 Transfer Portal

9 minutes ago, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

Saw Shawn Streck is wrestling at the Cowboy Wrestling Club. I know he tried to transfer there first before  transferring to Central Oklahoma. Is he back in the process of wanting to transfer there? 

He is likely out of DI eligibility.

50 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

125: Spratley

133: Fix

141: Young

149: Alvarez

157: Williams

165: Olejnik

174: Plott 

184: Wittlake...?

197:  Surber

285: Doucet / Carroll (RS)

Pretty certain (guaranteed it on that other thread) Alvarez 141.

18 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Butler is that guy that's always been hovering along the outside edge of the AA tier of wrestlers. I think he makes the jump - solid pick up for Rutgers. 

He beat the guy OU sent to the NCAAs, but he was light for 157. 

18 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I think they should redshirt Carroll unless he is heads and shoulders above Doucet in the room.

I would also see if Plott and Wittlake might be on board with swapping this next season.  Plott has a higher ceiling and is more fundamentally sound.  With the three time defending champion heading up to 197 they have a chance for higher peak points if they swap.

Unless... Starocci takes an ORS.  Then leave it.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

20 hours ago, flyingcement said:

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I think they should redshirt Carroll unless he is heads and shoulders above Doucet in the room.

I would also see if Plott and Wittlake might be on board with swapping this next season.  Plott has a higher ceiling and is more fundamentally sound.  With the three time defending champion heading up to 197 they have a chance for higher peak points if they swap.

Unless... Starocci takes an ORS.  Then leave it.

I would expect Carrol RS, Plott has a RS so could see Wittlake 74 and Haas at 84.  Alvarez at 41 not sure on 49 maybe VV just testing the portal value & is back, there's another Sheets at 49.  157 is a hole, can the juco kid go down (he looks lean), Williams maybe but like Sheets gotta improve. 

• Fire 1

10 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

With how kids transfer these days, why would you ever redshirt the best wrestler for a weight? Very few will stay the course whom have options

Agreed... saving guys to build them up for 4 years may become something of the past. I can see an OLY year, wanted by the the wrestler who has olympic dreams, being used.... but the redshirt of collegiate competition will be less utilized by top wrestlers if they are the best in their weight. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

30 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

Especially at Penn State. 

You have to wonder with their depth, how many guys will stay there who can't get on the mat.  Are there guys who will go there....find out that they can't get on the mat... then transfer out knowing they got a couple good years of training to prepare them for their next step of starting at another school?  There are guys that will stay the duration, but see little time (Nevills). 

15 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

With how kids transfer these days, why would you ever redshirt the best wrestler for a weight? Very few will stay the course whom have options

How often do wrestlers transfer during their RS year? I can see it happening if someone gets recruited over or if there's a coaching change but if it's otherwise not a common occurrence why not let them RS? Then you have a better version of that wrestler for at least a season (when they come out of RS) and it takes away from their eligibility clock if they end up transferring.

3 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

How often do wrestlers transfer during their RS year? I can see it happening if someone gets recruited over or if there's a coaching change but if it's otherwise not a common occurrence why not let them RS? Then you have a better version of that wrestler for at least a season (when they come out of RS) and it takes away from their eligibility clock if they end up transferring.

Messenbrink, Rowley, Spratley off the top of my head for this year.   Next year will be interesting to see if it happens more. 

• Fire 1

Brayden Thompson- sounds like he may no longer be welcome at Oklahoma State for the vaping incident. 

Personally I look at a guy like Seth Gross and don't think twice about offering a second chance but I get people don't want to set a precedent.  

Anyways, any thoughts on landing spots for Thompson? I was thinking Iowa State or Wisconsin 

1 minute ago, flyingcement said:

Brayden Thompson- sounds like he may no longer be welcome at Oklahoma State for the vaping incident. 

Personally I look at a guy like Seth Gross and don't think twice about offering a second chance but I get people don't want to set a precedent.  

Anyways, any thoughts on landing spots for Thompson? I was thinking Iowa State or Wisconsin 

How true is this? That he won’t be at Okie St next year?