Did Cornell win the night?

Packard

4 hours ago, romesone said:

When did Cael coach at Cornell?

I just wanted to slip that in there and see if I could get no rebuttals and then claim that as precedent. 🙂 Can't blame a guy for trying.

p.s. you know he didnt redshirt though, right?

• Haha 3

As a PSU fan, RBY losing stings but Vito did his thing and beat him. Stings because it was his last match. Haines and Kerk losing doesn’t hurt at all. Haines had an amazing freshman year and Kerk lost to the better wrestler. 

Team trophy is awesome and the way the team performed as a whole was awesome. 7 guys in top 3 and 2 NCs..nothing like Iowa a few years ago

• Fire 2

6 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

I thought it would end up being Mason Parris, but I don't fault in any way that the OW went to Vito. Well deserved after that performance. 

I actually thought it was going to go to Yanni, but Vito is well deserved, as he went into the match with all guns blazing.

Unlike the Cassioppi match, Parris wrestled Kerkvliet much more conservatively, and didn't take any unnecessary chances.  

14 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

All good regarding Cornell.  I was emotionally drained in a good way. Ended on a very big high.  

I do think it is very fair to note that Penn State DOMINATED the tournament.  2 champs seeming like a down year is laughable.  Just shows their level year to year.  I am surprised that Cael didn’t get coach of the year.

Every silver lining's got a touch of grey. 

will get by

will survive 😂

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, ugarles said:

everyone but yianni (and furman, who i'll miss too) coming back, including loew and fernandes plus meyer shapiro. already can't wait for next year.

Does Loew and Fernandez have eligibility left?  If so, and with the addition of Shapiro who will be a bona fide stud I can see Cornell at #2 next year. 

how does Vito have eligibility left?  He was a 2017 graduate never redshirted, assuming he didn’t enroll in 2021 like Yianni (same class). Did he greyshirt out of HS?

Edited by Pish

14 minutes ago, Pish said:

Does Loew and Fernandez have eligibility left?  If so, and with the addition of Shapiro who will be a bona fide stud I can see Cornell at #2 next year. 

how does Vito have eligibility left?  He was a 2017 graduate never redshirted, assuming he didn’t enroll in 2021 like Yianni (same class). Did he greyshirt out of HS?

yes he did grayshirt, and he also took an olympic redshirt in 2020 with yianni (and i think max dean) plus the ivies didn't compete for an extra covid year and i don't think he was enrolled.

loew definitely has a year left and said he's returning. this was fernandes' second year of competition. i don't know how many credits he has towards graduation but i think he'd have two years of eligibility left.

Edited by ugarles
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, ugarles said:

yes he did grayshirt, and he also took an olympic redshirt in 2020 with yianni (and i think max dean) plus the ivies didn't compete for an extra covid year and i don't think he was enrolled.

Excellent squad coming back with additions of Loew, Fernandez and Shapiro 

Edited by Pish

41 minutes ago, ugarles said:

loew definitely has a year left and said he's returning. this was fernandes' second year of competition. i don't know how many credits he has towards graduation but i think he'd have two years of eligibility left.

It's more a question of Ivy eligibility than NCAA eligibility.  They can't graduate and stay at Cornell, so the question is how much time off did they take, and how much more are they willing to take?

Yianni, Vito, and Max did not enroll while in their two years off, as you suggested.  It's not clear if all of Foca/Ramirez/Cardenas/Fernandes took those years off, but after this weekend, I'll bet they want to use as much of their NCAA eligibility as possible (two years each) at Cornell.  Which means a bunch of fall semesters not enrolled.

(On the Hawkeye forum (aka the "cesspool" for good reason), some were thinking that Vito will have graduated and not be able to compete for Cornell next year, and if it were possible to get him at Iowa next year.  Yeah, fat chance.  I disabused them of that fantasy)

15 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

It's more a question of Ivy eligibility than NCAA eligibility.  They can't graduate and stay at Cornell, so the question is how much time off did they take, and how much more are they willing to take?

Yianni, Vito, and Max did not enroll while in their two years off, as you suggested.  It's not clear if all of Foca/Ramirez/Cardenas/Fernandes took those years off, but after this weekend, I'll bet they want to use as much of their NCAA eligibility as possible (two years each) at Cornell.  Which means a bunch of fall semesters not enrolled.

(On the Hawkeye forum (aka the "cesspool" for good reason), some were thinking that Vito will have graduated and not be able to compete for Cornell next year, and if it were possible to get him at Iowa next year.  Yeah, fat chance.  I disabused them of that fantasy)

my concern is that he's going to take a second olympic redshirt! 

It amazes me how quickly we get desensitized by success;

2 national champions both returning.

3 additional finalists, 2 returning.

2 third place finishes, returning

1 more All American to total 8.

Team championship.

Somehow this gaudy list of achievements is disappointing. I'll admit it feels like a down year for PSU. Where are the 5 champs? When are there going to be 10 All Americans? Keep spoiling us with this ridiculous level of dominance. 5 Nittany Lion finalists is starting to feel common.

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, Matthew Burns said:

It amazes me how quickly we get desensitized by success;

2 national champions both returning.

3 additional finalists, 2 returning.

2 third place finishes, returning

1 more All American to total 8.

Team championship.

Somehow this gaudy list of achievements is disappointing. I'll admit it feels like a down year for PSU. Where are the 5 champs? When are there going to be 10 All Americans? Keep spoiling us with this ridiculous level of dominance. 5 Nittany Lion finalists is starting to feel common.

I’m pretty sure this was a troll thread because a similar one was started in 2021 with PSU on the other end of a similar situation

31 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I’m pretty sure this was a troll thread because a similar one was started in 2021 with PSU on the other end of a similar situation

No doubt. PSU fans were ecstatic with 4 Champs that night and it certainly bothered some PSU haters who made a big issue of it. Nice to see PSU fans accepting of the idea that Cornell had such a great night. 

12 hours ago, Pish said:

Excellent squad coming back with additions of Loew, Fernandez and Shapiro 

I thought Shapiro was going to be a 157 but he wrestled 149 this year. Is he projected 149 or 157 going forward? Him and Haines would be a nice one. 

I think there is a perception among some that Cornell exceeded expectations a bit - and on that level, it was a "win" for them.  But no question, PSU fans have plenty to be happy about, and plenty to look forward to.

So when are we going to see a Cornell vs. PSU dual meet?

• Fire 3

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I'm being sincere.

I'm a PSU fan. All the metrics describe an epic season. However 2 for 5 in the finals was a bit of an emotional let down.

Troll thread or no, I chose to participate.  Great night for Cornell, great night for PSU. I get to participate in little more college content. 

2 hours ago, Red Blades said:

I think there is a perception among some that Cornell exceeded expectations a bit - and on that level, it was a "win" for them. 

#15 Ungar:  R12 (exceeded)

#3 Vito:  way exceeded

#7 Cornella:  did not meet expectations

#1 Yianni:  met expectations

#4 Ramirez:  did not meet expectations

#4 Foca:  exceeded (seeding) expecations

#10 Cardenas:  8th place, exceeded expectations

• Fire 1