Congrats on the escape; you earn zero points

jross

2 hours ago, Gus said:

The main problem with moving to a 3 point takedown is that the crowd cannot scream TWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Yeah, that sort-of locks that one in... can you imagine the crowd confusion of starting to yell out 'TWWOrmmttTHrrrrrrrrrREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!'😏

(Hilarity & frivolity to follow... )

D3

• Fire 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

1 hour ago, D3 for LU said:

Yeah, that sort-of locks that one in... can you imagine the crowd confusion of starting to yell out 'TWWOrmmttTHrrrrrrrrrREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!'😏

(Hilarity & frivolity to follow... )

D3

Good point.  So how about 2 for tackdown, 1 for reversal and 0.5 for escape ... maybe 0.75 for riding time.  This might keep us out of the those silly SV & TB scenarios. 

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Good point.  So how about 2 for tackdown, 1 for reversal and 0.5 for escape ... maybe 0.75 for riding time.  This might keep us out of the those silly SV & TB scenarios. 

A tackdown sounds like it should be worth 4 or 5

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Until someone's shoulder gets ripped out.  Or a guy gets penalized for an illegal hold and the point costs him the match.  

"Preventative officiating."

Let his coach do all the "preventative" talking necessary.  Maybe preventative officiating has a place in youth club wrestling but not in college where adult men are wrestling other adult men and all have been in the sport for 15 years or so.  These are not children.  Their peers fight wars, work on flight decks of aircraft carriers, are roughnecks on oil rigs, etc.  These men can wrestle with a quiet referee quite well.  I do not ever recall Chatty Cathy freestyle referees screaming out advice and counts.  It is not necessary nor welcome (by me at least).

22 minutes ago, Lipdrag said:

Let his coach do all the "preventative" talking necessary.  Maybe preventative officiating has a place in youth club wrestling but not in college where adult men are wrestling other adult men and all have been in the sport for 15 years or so.  These are not children.  Their peers fight wars, work on flight decks of aircraft carriers, are roughnecks on oil rigs, etc.  These men can wrestle with a quiet referee quite well.  I do not ever recall Chatty Cathy freestyle referees screaming out advice and counts.  It is not necessary nor welcome (by me at least).

No, freestyle refs just break holds instantly if they think it looks bad, no questions asked.

Communicating with athletes is also communicating with coaches simultaneously.  You are letting them know how you see things, and what to expect if a move starts getting a bit more iffy.

Same thing for communicating who is in control during scrambles starting in top/bottom.  As a ref, you want to let the wrestlers and coach how you see the position and who is in control.

You know, maybe you're right.  Should we call neutral danger, or just award points?  How about verbal nearfall count?

Also not sure why you bring up the military?  Do you realize they communicate in the military?

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

international styles we are told to communicate directly with the wrestlers...

it is a huge deal...

i can only assume the stall fest refs are asked to do the same...

being annoyed at refs doing their job correctly is just another example of...

well

"fans"

• Fire 1

11 hours ago, ionel said:

This would be AWESOME.

Just imagine CHA full of fans who don't get fractions. They've got their phones out, calculator apps fired up, trying to figure out the score while screaming at each other and yelling "TWO!!" and "STALLING!!" 

Quite a picture. I'd pay to see that.

Speaking of fractions, anyone seen Bernie P around lately?

• Haha 1

Freestyle sucks.  The NCAAs sells out because folkstyle is the better style.  FS rules change way too much.  The push out is horrible.  No one knows how to score it.  

Just when I thought Greco made me want to smash my TV, they jam the girls wrestling up my ass.  Just horrible.

You will never see a FS, greco, woman's event like the NCAA tournament. 

• Fire 1