RBY

peanut

16 hours ago, mspart said:

Is lashing a bad word now?  If so, when did that happen? 

mspart

One of the posters on the old “off topic” thread on themat.com back in the day  described taking a literal lashing from a white dominatrix in Reno.  She went by the name “Thunder Bootie” and is long retired from the game.  The poster/lashee was Jewish.  In the context of his story the word lashing did not discriminate.

3 hours ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

Thanks, but no thanks.  I'll pass.

The invitation is always there.  You seem to be a generally intelligent poster, typically, and I don't bite (hard).

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

It's two years old now, but if you click play (it should be set up to go right to 6:40) RBY talks about his weight. He never looked massive at 133, so maybe his weight is close, and he had a deal with the PSU coaches that cutting weight wasn't as important as just becoming a better wrestler. That being said, maybe 57 kilos is within reach for him, I do not know.

2 hours ago, Tom formerly Tofurky said:

It's two years old now, but if you click play (it should be set up to go right to 6:40) RBY talks about his weight. He never looked massive at 133, so maybe his weight is close, and he had a deal with the PSU coaches that cutting weight wasn't as important as just becoming a better wrestler. That being said, maybe 57 kilos is within reach for him, I do not know.

That seems too big for 57 and a bit small for 65. Might do 125 in MMA though.

He could go 61 keggers this year, get with DT's nutritionist and go 65 next year.  This sounds like a good plan.

3 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

So you're saying, the context of his story was not a white wrestler soundly defeating a hispanic/black wrestler, where the vanquished competitor had to treat the wounds of his lashing with aloe?

That seems a pretty off-target anecdote to me, but you do you.

A ) He is referring to his story, not to me, so that is the 2nd time you are taking something out of it's context and assuming toxic shit.

B ) Move on, dipshit.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

3 hours ago, Tom formerly Tofurky said:

There was an interview from '22 season.  Nationals I think.  RBY said something about being in the mid 140s during the tournament.

26 minutes ago, El Luchador said:

Don't let them hijack the language. Fake moral outrage is used to control the speech of others.

You can be cognizant of what you're saying and what some may find offensive...without being ridiculous. 

A literal lashing never cross my mind there. I also tend of think of RBY as being Latino, but...it really just sounded like a way of saying "ass-whooping." 

On 4/12/2023 at 10:43 AM, nhs67 said:

A ) You understand that you are merely showing your interpretation of a very toxic choice from your own mindset, correct?

B ) I am a black man who grew up during the most violently racist time in Detroit's history - IN DETROIT.

GTFOH

With respect, us white liberals will be the ones who determine what is racially offensive. 

I THOUGHT we'd already established this when we decided "LatinX" was a thing?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, scourge165 said:

With respect, us white liberals will be the ones who determine what is racially offensive. 

I THOUGHT we'd already established this when we decided "LatinX" was a thing?

The best part of latinX is that there is already a non gender option, latin.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, El Luchador said:

Don't let them hijack the language. Fake moral outrage is used to control the speech of others.

I am not a fan of this trend either, but if you are in a coaching position, you and others would be wise to take 98lber’s admonition to heart. 

Just last month, a Texas Tech year BB coach was suspended for a “master and servant” biblical reference to an athlete, given its slavery connotations:

https://www.deseret.com/2023/3/9/23632016/texas-tech-coach-mark-adams-resigns-bible

If one of the ESPN announcers had used that term in reference to Arujau’s win over RBY, it would have taken about 5 minutes for him to suspended and forced to apologize.

Do I agree with it? No, I think it is hypersensitive at best, and the assumption of racist motives is often more offensive than the comment itself. But it is foolish to close your eyes to the reality. No one really cares what anyone says on this forum, but you might want to pick your battles more wisely in a coaching or employment context.

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, BAC said:

I am not a fan of this trend either, but if you are in a coaching position, you and others would be wise to take 98lber’s admonition to heart. 

Just last month, a Texas Tech year BB coach was suspended for a “master and servant” biblical reference to an athlete, given its slavery connotations:

https://www.deseret.com/2023/3/9/23632016/texas-tech-coach-mark-adams-resigns-bible

If one of the ESPN announcers had used that term in reference to Arujau’s win over RBY, it would have taken about 5 minutes for him to suspended and forced to apologize.

Do I agree with it? No, I think it is hypersensitive at best, and the assumption of racist motives is often more offensive than the comment itself. But it is foolish to close your eyes to the reality. No one really cares what anyone says on this forum, but you might want to pick your battles more wisely in a coaching or employment context.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11930177/School-superintendent-says-job-offer-rescinded-addressed-committee-members-ladies.html

2 hours ago, BAC said:

the assumption of racist motives is often more offensive than the comment itself

To be clear, I was not assuming a racist motive, but I certainly did consider the possibility.

I also considered the possibility the words were chosen to elicit reactions similar to mine or those that might act dismiss anyone who might take offense (like myself).

It looks to me like some have chosen the latter through broadening my singular comment to be generalized to wokeness or Dylan Mulvaney, as well as hyperbole or feigning obtuse to the context of my comment.  I purposefully chose not to quote it in its entirety in my initial response, limiting it to a single word.

I pointed out what I saw as an insensitive word choice.  Surely other equally descriptive metaphors are available for such a sound defeat.  I appreciate those who thanked me or liked my original comment.  It gives me hope.

Back to RBY - I look forward to him competing without an injured ankle (sustained in his quarterfinal match).  I've no doubt his performance will be vastly improved.

2 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

To be clear, I was not assuming a racist motive, but I certainly did consider the possibility.

I also considered the possibility the words were chosen to elicit reactions similar to mine or those that might act dismiss anyone who might take offense (like myself).

It looks to me like some have chosen the latter through broadening my singular comment to be generalized to wokeness or Dylan Mulvaney, as well as hyperbole or feigning obtuse to the context of my comment.  I purposefully chose not to quote it in its entirety in my initial response, limiting it to a single word.

I pointed out what I saw as an insensitive word choice.  Surely other equally descriptive metaphors are available for such a sound defeat.  I appreciate those who thanked me or liked my original comment.  It gives me hope.

Back to RBY - I look forward to him competing without an injured ankle (sustained in his quarterfinal match).  I've no doubt his performance will be vastly improved.

Huh?

Except of recently published Cael Sanderson interview, when discussing RBY:

"To see where he started and then where he finished – it’s very impressive across the board, and he just did it with hard work and being tough. He didn’t quite have the finish he wanted.

You know, he actually hurt his ankle in the quarterfinals, but he is one of the first guys to come through with a lot of obligations and stuff with NIL. I think he did pretty well for himself, but I think that comes with a bit of a cost. He was doing appearances, and meet and greets, and had a documentary come out on him during the season. Those things add a lot of pressure and distraction. I think he really managed it well and competed great. I think he’s shown over the years that he’s one of the best wrestlers in the world. I think if he sets his heart and mind on winning at the next level – at the World and Olympic levels – he definitely can."

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches

6 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

Except of recently published Cael Sanderson interview, when discussing RBY:

"To see where he started and then where he finished – it’s very impressive across the board, and he just did it with hard work and being tough. He didn’t quite have the finish he wanted.

You know, he actually hurt his ankle in the quarterfinals, but he is one of the first guys to come through with a lot of obligations and stuff with NIL. I think he did pretty well for himself, but I think that comes with a bit of a cost. He was doing appearances, and meet and greets, and had a documentary come out on him during the season. Those things add a lot of pressure and distraction. I think he really managed it well and competed great. I think he’s shown over the years that he’s one of the best wrestlers in the world. I think if he sets his heart and mind on winning at the next level – at the World and Olympic levels – he definitely can."

You know what they say about excuses...

"one of the first guys ... with NIL"  Really? You don't say?!

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

34 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

You know what they say about excuses...

"one of the first guys ... with NIL"  Really? You don't say?!

Some say, not all say, so yeah, they say.

I believe it is reasonably inferred the coach's context is his first hand knowledge of PSU wrestlers.  Don't know how he'd really know much, if anything, about other teams' wrestler's NIL deals and their associated contractual obligations.  I don't assume he does.

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches

7 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

Some say, not all say, so yeah, they say.

I believe it is reasonably inferred the coach's context is his first hand knowledge of PSU wrestlers.  Don't know how he'd really know much, if anything, about other teams' wrestler's NIL deals and their associated contractual obligations.  I don't assume he does.

I guess I'm just pretty amazed that a PSU wrestler was injured.  Are they doing 1980s style training?

35 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I guess I'm just pretty amazed that a PSU wrestler was injured.  Are they doing 1980s style training?

Some say that competing injured during a tournament sometimes happens, but theorize it's less often than when hard live goes are over-emphasized during training.  I honestly don't know.  Maybe someday someone will publish a study.

8 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

Some say that competing injured during a tournament sometimes happens, but theorize it's less often than when hard live goes are over-emphasized during training.  I honestly don't know.  Maybe someday someone will publish a study.

Hmmm.  Eierman, Cassioppi, Marinelli during 2022 post-season tournaments.  Their injuries were all professionally diagnosed as the result of  Iowa style training techniques.  RBY, Nolf, Starocci, Brooks, Kerkvliet etc. injuries are due to competing in matches.

Interesting.

2 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Hmmm.  Eierman, Cassioppi, Marinelli during 2022 post-season tournaments.  Their injuries were all professionally diagnosed as the result of  Iowa style training techniques.  RBY, Nolf, Starocci, Brooks, Kerkvliet etc. injuries are due to competing in matches.

Interesting.

Can you send me a link to that professional study?

Here, I had been under the impression that your assertion is a well-known trope to goad Iowa fans, which some hypothesize is also used as a negative recruiting tool against Iowa.

Live and learn.