The World Famous ILLINI B1G Tournament Preview (Vol. 1)

ILLINIWrestlingBlog

19 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

Side note: Does Illinois care about its wrestling team? I wanted to check Byrd's results and the stats link on the Illini website has 21-22 final stats. That's horrible for a B1G school. 

https://fightingillini.com/news/2022/10/13/illinois-announces-plans-for-illinois-wrestling-training-center.aspx

Wrestling doesn't draw the crowds of football or hoops, but the school is definitely investing in it. Really, I think Illinois is trying to get to the elite level in as many sports as possible. Women's basketball and the combined track and field program have seen big changes in the past year.

They should do better on the stats thing though, yeah.

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

1. Yes

2. No

3. Why tf not

4. No

5. No

6. Yes

7. No

8. No

9. Yes

10. No

11. Lol. No

12. No

Team standings:

PSU, Iowa, Nebraska, OSUe

Hi! Your entry has been entered. That gives you an excellent chance to win at least one ILLINI Wrestling Blog and Forum and Beyond t-shirt, which, as far as you know, has never been worn before. Good Luck!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, D3 for LU said:

... I guess you HAD to throw a bone to the gang on question 11, eh? 

giphy.gif

D3

These are prop bets 10 & 11:

The last match of the 2023 B1G tournament will involve Spencer Lee (Y/N)

The last match of the 2023 B1G tournament will involve Yianni Diakomihalis (Y/N)

I've actually given it some thought, and what I would do is this: After the semifinals on Friday night, if both Spencer and Yianni have advanced to the finals, hold a coin toss. Whoever wins the coin toss between them gets the final match. Whoever comes in second gets the second-to-last match. The NCAA has broken with tradition before, this would be a great time to do it again. 

There is also the possibility that the Executive Producer of "ESPN Coverage of the 2023 NCAA Wrestling Championships" is a Cornell alum or hates Iowa. In fact, that is about 97% of the population, so....

39 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

The last match of the 2023 B1G tournament will involve Yianni Diakomihalis (Y/N)

I've actually given it some thought, and what I would do is this: After the semifinals on Friday night, if both Spencer and Yianni have advanced to the finals, hold a coin toss. Whoever wins the coin toss between them gets the final match. Whoever comes in second gets the second-to-last match. The NCAA has broken with tradition before, this would be a great time to do it again. 

There is also the possibility that the Executive Producer of "ESPN Coverage of the 2023 NCAA Wrestling Championships" is a Cornell alum or hates Iowa. In fact, that is about 97% of the population, so....

You're still not seeing it.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

10 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Not YOU again!

Good on you that you abandoned the Batman schtick. Guardians 2... hmm... well, might have worked without the left 1/5th. We all realize the singlet is a part of the wrestling essentials - but showcasing junk isn't doing anyone any favors. Not good all around.

Coin toss? Only slightly behind junk shot. C'mon - you gave it almost zero thought before you phoned that in. I'm not here to judge you, but as long as I'm here.

On a final note, your 97% hates Iowa seems crazy but may not be all that far off. Just add "fans" and you'll likely be close. Something like - "97% hate Iowa fans."

8 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You're still not seeing it.

In the format thread JB said the b10 coaches could seed any way/one they wanted, so ...  I assumed this question was to weed out the non true b10 fans or reward those thinking outside the box.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Fire 1

On 2/24/2023 at 12:48 PM, TylerDurden said:

Side note: Does Illinois care about its wrestling team? I wanted to check Byrd's results and the stats link on the Illini website has 21-22 final stats. That's horrible for a B1G school. 

That is bush league. 

Congratulations to our winners in the B1G Tournament Prop Bet Contest! 

We had entries on Twitter, on Intermatforums.com, at ILLINOISMatmen.com and in DMs. First prize and two ILLINI Wrestling Blog and Forum and Beyond t-shirts go to Significant ACC Bias on Twitter (nine correct answers and did a slightly better job on the team standings). 

Second prizes and one t-shirt apiece are hereby awarded to every poster who got at least eight of the prop bets right. These include: FSL ILLINI (9 correct answers but sucked at the team race, ya homer), @ionel on Intermat (9 correct answers but didn't have a tie breaker with team standings), @Mr. PeanutButter on Intermat (8 correct answers, got first four teams right in team standings) and Fighting Scot on ILLINOISMatmen (8 correct answers but did a brilliant job on the team race). 

A reminder of what the prop bets were:

1.  Spencer Lee will get a first-period pinfall in his first match at the 2023 B1G tournament (No, he did not.)

2.  A team point will be deducted from Iowa's score during the 2023 B1G tournament (No, somehow Terrence and Phillip managed not to give up a team point.)

blah, blah, blah

8.  During broadcast of the finals, the cameras will catch a nervous coach with his finger in his nose (This was close. Tom Brands went to his nose multiple times during the Spencer Lee interview, but didn't have penetration. Also, the PSU coaching staff during the Haines match had their hands cupped around their mouths the whole time, but you couldn't tell if they dug for gold. I suspect they did, but have no proof. Clever fellows!)

[NOTA BENE: I actually won $100 during a Super Bowl with this bet. The wager was that one of the coaches would go spelunking for a clingberry during the last five minutes of the game, and dadgumit!, Bill Cowher came through for me! I don't recall which Super Bowl it was, but if you watch the replay of the last five minutes, Coach is knuckle deep. What can I say, it was a close game.]

If you're interested, the rest of the post is here at The ILLINI Wrestling Blog and Forum and Beyond

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1