Montana is trying to outdo the rest of the red states

Mike Parrish

On 2/10/2023 at 9:07 AM, Crotalus said:

Why wait? Let's jump right in. I think it's completely bonkers and belongs in the realm of philosophy, not science. While it is "theoretically" possible, there is no evidence to back it up (though it would have been programed that way, of course).

Went skiing, hurt my knee, return to find this thread at 4 pages longer. lol

Simulation theory has the problem that it is tough to falsify, making it fraught from a scientifically theoretical standpoint.

• Fire 2

21 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

Went skiing, hurt my knee, return to find this thread at 4 pages longer. lol

Simulation theory has the problem that it is tough to falsify, making it fraught from a scientifically theoretical standpoint.

like most things, simulation theory requires a leap of faith...

but after that leap?

quite the refreshing point of view...

once you make it past the existential horror...

that can be a tough weekend...

15 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

This is actually on point here.

Commercial and political interests have routinely bent science to fit their needs.

I think we all agree on that very point.  Which then causes people to 'pick sides" and take "stances" on what "science" to believe or not to believe.  My overall point is that yes you should "trust" doctors and scientists/experts....to a point....that point being that each individual should have overall say in what does or doesn't happen in terms of their safety and health.  Example....if my doctor suggests I take a drug, or I suggest I take a Pharmaceautical for whatever I may have (insert jokes here), I should have a say which one I take (ex. what are the different options, side effects, cost, etc.) and I should have a say if I even take the prescribed drug.  What I don't do is just blindly let my doctor tell me to take a drug or to do XYZ.  What I don't do is blindly follow what I see on TV.  What I don't do is blindly follow politicians.  What I don't do is blindly follow "experts".  ETC.

• Fire 1

it is going to be difficult for that Dr to afford his 3rd trip to barbados with his 2nd mistress if he can not convince you that you definitely need this new pill which he gets a kick back on every prescription filled...

(trust the science)

2 minutes ago, LJB said:

it is going to be difficult for that Dr to afford his 3rd trip to barbados with his 2nd mistress if he can not convince you that you definitely need this new pill which he gets a kick back on every prescription filled...

(trust the science)

LOL...good point!! 

16 hours ago, jross said:

Trust the science.

200.gif

This is just a commercial that preceded any regulations on such things, but point taken.  We watched this play out in real time with ivermectin and hydroxy chloroquine.  We had the unique experience of watching the actual POTUS say things equally ridiculous.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Mike Parrish said:

I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

gpchat is just now finishing up the editing process...

it should be in your inbox in the next couple of days...

On 2/14/2023 at 2:41 PM, LJB said:

like most things, simulation theory requires a leap of faith...

but after that leap?

quite the refreshing point of view...

once you make it past the existential horror...

that can be a tough weekend...

Now that is an interesting perspective. 

Consider the question - which scenario is more of an existential horror?

• Life is a simulation, we are all digital data forms interacting on a massive scale computing engine.
  • Conventional wisdom where we are born, we live, we die and turn to dust. Until the Sun expires and we all die

The simulation one seems like much less of an existential horror.

On 2/14/2023 at 10:02 AM, El Luchador said:

Listening to experts on covid and nutrition will help you understand just how little expertise the experts have. It should also help you understand the bias in science. 

Listening to 'real' experts, helps us understand how much of a non-expert we all are. Maybe we are knowledgeable, but after we are able to review the expert contributions, the difference between our knowledge and theirs is clear and quantifiable. If it wasn't clear, we can engage in honest conversation with the experts for clarification. Healthy dialog.

Listening to 'fake' experts on the internet, has the opposite effect. They create arguments with others rather than contribute in any meaningful way. Their ongoing arguments spread anger and displace any notion of knowledge being the point. A lot of finger-pointing, kicking, screaming, and dialog as you'd have with a rambunctious child.

The same model applies for politicians in Congress at this very moment.

• Fire 1

57 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Listening to 'real' experts, helps us understand how much of a non-expert we all are. Maybe we are knowledgeable, but after we are able to review the expert contributions, the difference between our knowledge and theirs is clear and quantifiable. If it wasn't clear, we can engage in honest conversation with the experts for clarification. Healthy dialog.

Listening to 'fake' experts on the internet, has the opposite effect. They create arguments with others rather than contribute in any meaningful way. Their ongoing arguments spread anger and displace any notion of knowledge being the point. A lot of finger-pointing, kicking, screaming, and dialog as you'd have with a rambunctious child.

The same model applies for politicians in Congress at this very moment.

So is the guy whose name is on the mrna patent and pioneered the research a real expert? 

The article is clearly bias and actually misleading.  They assign a Christian motive but it only says creator. Makes me question the whole article.  Not accurate with the facts. Draws conclusions. 

They provide significant background on the author of the bill.

Unless Christian Nationalist right-wingers have suddenly taken to espousing Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism or Islam, I have to assume that he meant to have HIS faith forced upon students.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

Just now, Le duke said:

They provide significant background on the author of the bill.

Unless Christian Nationalist right-wingers have suddenly taken to espousing Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism or Islam, I have to assume that he meant to have HIS faith forced upon students.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming isn't journalism.