Memorable Matches

Viratas

What are some that you think you will remember for a long time? Three that I have stuck in my head are:

1. Bart Chelsvig vs. Kevin Randlemann Big 10 Finals 1992 I believe. It was a good old fashion brawl. Even Russ and Gable nearly went to blows.
  2. The same year Tom Brands vs. Joey Gilbert. The final score was 23-15 or something close to it. You are missing out if you have never seen Gilbert shoot a single from the other side of the mat.
  3. The Durso Run at nationals was a hell of a fun ride! (Lesser known, but fun none the less)
  • Fire 1

That’s to keep your whining ass shut. You want off this ranch, you got it. I’ll drive your ass to the train station myself.

43 minutes ago, Viratas said:

What are some that you think you will remember for a long time? Three that I have stuck in my head are:

1. Bart Chelsvig vs. Kevin Randlemann Big 10 Finals 1992 I believe. It was a good old fashion brawl. Even Russ and Gable nearly went to blows.
  2. The same year Tom Brands vs. Joey Gilbert. The final score was 23-15 or something close to it. You are missing out if you have never seen Gilbert shoot a single from the other side of the mat.
  3. The Durso Run at nationals was a hell of a fun ride! (Lesser known, but fun none the less)

Gilbert vs Brands was 33-19, and the Big Ten Final was controversial....sure looked like Gilbert had Brands pinned (half nelson). 

• Fire 1

Just now, Fadzaev2 said:

Gilbert vs Brands was 33-19, and the Big Ten Final was controversial....sure looked like Gilbert had Brands pinned (half nelson). 

Yes it was insane, I was sitting matside and watching Joey Leap everywhere and brands reacting like WTF... It was fun!

That’s to keep your whining ass shut. You want off this ranch, you got it. I’ll drive your ass to the train station myself.

One of my more memorable ones, in person, was Brent Metcalf VS Dustin Schlatter at the Medina Holiday Invite their respective senior scholastic seasons:

As an avid Davison follower and supporter in the Roy Hall from the late 1990s on, there was a certain aura of invincibility around Brent heading in to his senior season.  Many people intimate to the scene believed that he was the best 145lber (ever) but would be not just a contender for a title at the D1 level, but a favorite to win.

When Schlatter took it to him at his own game (Metcalf won in rideouts), folks started to understand a little bit that we were entering a new era of middle weight depth.  People absolutely believed that Metcalf was the truth AND that we had 'other' truths in the chamber.

Everyone who left after seeing that match had not just a high respect but a complete belief that what they saw was special.

• Fire 3

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Nickerson vs Long - Nickerson coming back from injury - puts a smack down on Long

Burroughs vs Leen - loved Leen’s fire and effort.  Burroughs - wow.

Dake vs Taylor - all star and finals.  Finals - Dake was so damn technical, smooth, and strong.  Out smoothed and out technicaled a guy who I am still in awe of.

Garrett vs Delgado - Delgado’s defense, dive roll - arghhh!!

Snyder vs Gwiz - Epic!!!

Nickal vs Martin (second finals) - Bo to his back!! Correcton!! Martin to HIS back!!

Nickal vs Dean - great match.  Sad finish.  

• Fire 1

For me a couple off the top of my head and not in any order.....

Gable pinning Ashrulaev in one of the first USA vs. Russia duals ever .....McGaw Hall (70 or 71)

Schultz vs Banach....NCAA finals 1982  15-8 Schultz

Mills vs Gonzales  Mills 16-13 1979

Dake's 4 finals matches

Jimmy Haines vs Mike McArthur 1977 Haines winner  (Haines was a takedown machine...so was Joe Gonzales)

Randy Lewis vs Jim Gibbons Midlands......Lewis won this one and during their next encounter in the dual, Lewis dislocated his elbow and had to battle back through Big Tens and NCAA's to even AA after 3 finals appearances  2-1-1-7

John Fisher TF Olympic Silver medalist Barry Davis at Midlands, and Fisher was a freshman....1984

Jimmy Carr and Carey Kolat competing very well as high school students at Midlands.

Although they were really a wt. class apart and Sergei had not been training.....Belaglozov vs. Smith (maybe a $10,000 match) Grand World Wrestling Championships Pittsburgh....FADZAEV vs. Carr in the same event.

The Randy Lewis vs Darryl Burley matches.

I'll stop there ....there are so many!!!  Been to many NCAA's, Midlands, World Cups, Big Tens and more over maybe a 52 year span.

21 minutes ago, Viratas said:

Yes it was insane, I was sitting matside and watching Joey Leap everywhere and brands reacting like WTF... It was fun!

His brother was going nuts as well....almost got in a fight...now I'm wondering who you are????  Who is that masked (sunglasses) man??  image.jpeg.553080471d9a8bacc21d948e22975d91.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

His brother was going nuts as well....almost got in a fight...now I'm wondering who you are????  Who is that masked (sunglasses) man??  image.jpeg.553080471d9a8bacc21d948e22975d91.jpeg

I recall, on a side note I had a coach (a little dude) have me watch hours of Fadzaev videos.

Not to re-kindle old arguments, but Waters vs Gilman at National Duals had a bit of everything.  Good wrestling, Gilman illegally slamming Waters and Waters getting penalized for it (!!!!), Gilman trying to attack Waters legs well after the whistle, Waters intentionally running into the Hawkeye blocking his path after he won the match.  Maybe not an instant classic, but definitely a memorable match.

• Fire 1

34 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

Not to re-kindle old arguments, but Waters vs Gilman at National Duals had a bit of everything.  Good wrestling, Gilman illegally slamming Waters and Waters getting penalized for it (!!!!), Gilman trying to attack Waters legs well after the whistle, Waters intentionally running into the Hawkeye blocking his path after he won the match.  Maybe not an instant classic, but definitely a memorable match.

NCAA finals: Teague Moore - David Morgan pin

1 hour ago, MNRodent said:

My first attended NCAA tournament 1993...142 finals, Lincoln McIlravy over Gerry Abas 16-15.  That one is in my library.

Yep ....that belongs on my list as well.....McIlravy came out of red shirt right before Big Ten's and moved one of the Steiner's to strengthen the Hawkeye lineup.  Super match....Lincoln got Abas tired and turned it up in the third period to come from behind to win 16-15...barn burner....good call.

Edited by Fadzaev2

Mine are all Finals

Has no one mentioned Metcalf - Caldwell?

Other memorable "WoW" finals

Trenge - Hahn (most heartbreaking) 

Cenzo - IMar

Perry - Hendricks

Konrad - Mocco

Jenkins - Taylor

Rohn - Lambrecht

& my favorite Nickal - Martin (2018)

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

2 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Has no one mentioned Metcalf - Caldwell?

Other memorable "WoW" finals

Trenge - Hahn (most heartbreaking) 

Cenzo - IMar

Perry - Hendricks

Konrad - Mocco

Jenkins - Taylor

Rohn - Lambrecht

& my favorite Nickal - Martin (2018)

Maybe it hasn't been mentioned for a reason (I'm friends with both of them, but know Brent a lot better)

2 hours ago, Fadzaev2 said:

LOL....Oh really!  Did he like any other Russians, because there are lot's of good Russian, including in Fadzaev's era?

Yup him and Beloglazov were buddies and he brought him into the room for awhile.

3 hours ago, ionel said:

I bet that was fun, did he think Lincoln had the pin, did you end up with a wet soda soaked shirt?  🙂

No, but we were near the lower railing and he went down to the railing to talk to Lincoln (maybe to go over the railing) and the usher gave him a hard while knowledgeable spectators were telling usher (who was clueless right in Hawkeye Carver Arena), to let him go.